Sponsored

BREAKING: 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Confirmed as the Most Track Capable 5.0L V8 Mustang Ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katastrophe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Honda Civic Sedan EX, 2014 Honda VFR800F
Food for thought...

The Bullitt (up here in Canada at least) was cheaper than a comparably equipped GT Premium. Option for option, full stop. The Bullitt also (presumably) came with "Bullitt Tax"...not that the Mach 1 won't either, I suppose. I guess what I'm trying to say is, the Mach 1 still has the potential to be "affordable".

Even with some parts from the GT350, I can't see this thing eclipsing the Bullitt price by much. Maybe a couple of grand, depending on option packages? Anymore and it will NEED to have some serious upgrades in order to justify the cost.

As I stated before, IMHO, I wouldn't care too much if we still got the MT82. What I do care about is the terrible gear ratios. With how long those gears are, the car needs something WAY better suited than the typical 3.73. 4.10 or 4.30 please and thanks.

Also, for what it's worth...the last generation Mach 1 we got was a MASSIVE step up from the normal GT. Yes, it was still "parts bin" car with a lot of Cobra stuff...but it was a huge difference compared to the GT. In the end, I honestly think we're getting a Bullitt/PP2 mix with an option for the A10. Anything more (IMHO) would be icing on the cake.
Sponsored

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
No in this case it (MT82 shifter mechanism and bracket) is such a piece of UTTER shite someone needs to be slapped into next week for even putting it down on CAD. That they (Ford/Getrag) designed weak-ass shift forks/pads that broke is engineering fk-up 101. Ford (well Detroit) has a history of just appalling engineering screwups that cost people precious time and money - many of them completely avoidable. Not to say the Koreans and Japanese don't have their share of problems but they have less of a "deflect, ignore, and they'll go away" attitude.

The -D4 with dual-plate clutch is acceptable but it's not in any way a "good" transmission as delivered. If you think it is, you have clearly no experience with good transmissions.
It's funny to me that Ford has to compromise but Chevy and Dodge don't have too. They both run Tremec transmissions on the base SS and the R/T and 392 cars so why can't the mustang?

I'm guessing the people that are on here saying it's a fine transmission have zero track experience or never drive the car like it's meant to be. I drove it like it's meant to be driven and was greeted with a full rebuild @ 40k. If it's such a good transmission then why did Ford not use it in the 350? That says it all.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
As has been said numerous times on here, the MT82 in the current Mustang's are just fine.
My (current) MT-82, like my last (2011), does a funny thing: It goes from 1st to 2nd to 3rd to 4th to 5th to 6th and even does that backwards. Hell, it even goes into reverse! Amazing!

Apparently, it did this in the 12-13 Boss 302, as well something called the Laguna Seca (whatever that was) - which I think performed a little track duty on occasion.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Drag cars don't need such good brakes as a track ready road coarse car needs. It could just be the small rear brakes seen in spy shots and possibly small front brakes are part of the drag pack package. Smaller brake rotors and calipers keep the weight down for better quarter mile times. On a drag strip you are not using your brakes as often as on a road course. Remember the 1971 Mustang Mach 1 had a drag pack option. I bet the Ford engineers are familiar with the Drag Pack Option.

Sponsored

Staynumz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chaz
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bullitt
My (current) MT-82, like my last (2011), does a funny thing: It goes from 1st to 2nd to 3rd to 4th to 5th to 6th and even does that backwards. Hell, it even goes into reverse! Amazing!

Apparently, it did this in the 13-14 Boss 302 as well.
If it is doing all that then it’s possible you are not driving it like it’s meant to be driven. Because it should break if you are doing it right or something.....

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
What i love about the MT82 is that Im not at the mercy of essentially a CVT transmission with its algorithm which randomly selects gears. Keep the A10 for pickups, not for supposed performance cars.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
What i love about the MT82 is that Im not at the mercy of essentially a CVT transmission with its algorithm which randomly selects gears. Keep the A10 for pickups, not for supposed performance cars.
But that's just the basic function of a manual transmission not anything that makes MT82 great

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I admittedly have not had long history with either transmission as a DD. I did have some extended drive time with a Bullitt and a GT350 this past fall. Couldn't wait to give the Bullitt back. Was scheming on ways to keep the GT350 longer. The ONLY reason I wanted to give the Bullitt back was the transmission. For me at least, it ruined what was otherwise a really nice car. I tried to forgive it saying "It's a press car. It's been beat on". Then I got the GT350 (also a press car...also likely beat on) and it was like "this is what a 6-speed is s'posed ta feel like".

Again, that was from my limited exposure to both cars, but it was more experience than most people get when looking to buy a car at a dealership. Based on that limited time I would have not bought the Bullitt, but I would be haggling like a fiend on the GT350. I'm hoping the Mach I gets a Tremec.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
No in this case it (MT82 shifter mechanism and bracket) is such a piece of UTTER shite someone needs to be slapped into next week for even putting it down on CAD. That they (Ford/Getrag) designed weak-ass shift forks/pads that broke is engineering fk-up 101. Ford (well Detroit) has a history of just appalling engineering screwups that cost people precious time and money - many of them completely avoidable. Not to say the Koreans and Japanese don't have their share of problems but they have less of a "deflect, ignore, and they'll go away" attitude.

The -D4 with dual-plate clutch is acceptable but it's not in any way a "good" transmission as delivered. If you think it is, you have clearly no experience with good transmissions.
I like the MT-82. Frankly, when I sold my 2015 GT and bought my 2016 GT350 - I initially preferred the MT-82 over the Tremec box. Definitely the Tremec in the GT350 works great on track, but I had my 2015 GT to the road course as well, and had zero problems. It also worked very well over a year of daily driving in weather down to -20 and hot days, stop and go traffic, stop light drags, etc.

I'm not going to say the MT-82 is the best transmission made or anything. It's built on a budget just like every other part of our cars. But in my opinion it's fine for our cars. The 2011 versions had more common issues, but since 2015 the MT-82 seems fine to me. I like it.

If your idea of a good manual transmission means that the car has to be $100k plus, yes I have little experience with those. But my contention is those manual gearboxes in Porsches and the like are great, not merely good. The MT-82 is a good transmission. Not great, but quite good.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
It's interesting reading everyone's comments. Realistically an incredibly tiny percent of people that buy a Bullitt or GT350 or GT500 ever really seriously drive the car. We buy cars that looks cool and has some zip when we floor it. Mt82 shift very good. for every negative comment there is about the stick shift there's a hundred people that are happy with it. For those that are super die-hard drivers oh, there are tons of aftermarket parts that will make the car perform even better and my attitude is go purchase some. Ford motor company has to produce cars in large enough quantities to a broad enough customer base to make a profit. That means the cars are always a compromise.
The trick comes in making the right compromises. The semi-remote shifter design that's been with us since 2005 wasn't one of the right ones, that much of the MT82's problems isn't because the MT82 is what it is, and it's not the right reason for insisting on the A10 either.

Base suspension and tires on the Mach 1 would be another wrong compromise. The overall wheel/tire/suspension package needs to keep pace with the engine/powertrain side else you might as well go back to hotrodding a Fox-body.

Norm

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Yeah it was a bit of tongue in cheek
Only a little.

The whole point of these 8, 9, and 10 speed automatics is to approximate the potential advantages of a CVT without being stuck with the CVT's downsides. Aggressive torque management in the lower ratios (numerically higher) being a big one in the case of a V8-powered car.

It wasn't for the bragging rights that go something like "my car has a 10-speed transmission, what's yours got?".

Norm

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I dragged raced my 2011 Brembo mustang GT which head the 373 and first mt82 over a hundred times with the Roush supercharger. Yes I needed a heavier clutch but it shifted great. My Bullitt shifts excellent and it's much better than the 2011. I totally disagree that the MT82 is a poor transmission either shifter or internally shifting.

The gearing is way too long, I know that. But those that compare the Coyote to the Hemi or the LS engines it's apples to oranges.

It costs Ford over $1,000 more to make the Coyote than those push rod engines and compromises have to be made.

I will agree that the transmission in my 2007, 2009 Mustangs were not that great. But compared to the transmissions in my 60s muscles cars they were light years better.

Back to the Mach 1. PP1 or stiffer and I'm out. If I wanted a track car I would buy a track car. I don't need to feel the discs in my back on every bump. I know I'm not alone in this.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.