rain6460

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1- w/Roush phase 2
Hello,
I’ll be taking delivery of my 2020 GT soon. I ordered it with pp1 and a Roush phase 2 kit. Just curious how I should be driving it during the initial break-in period? Also wondering if the Roush kit requires any changes in the normal service schedule, ie: additional maintenance, service intervals, etc.?
Thanks.
Jeff
Sponsored

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
Like a rental?

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The owners Manual has a break-in procedure, and having better than 35 years in a professional setting with lots of fresh out of school kids. My first serious answer is...

READ THE BOOK!

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
The owners Manual has a break-in procedure, and having better than 35 years in a professional setting with lots of fresh out of school kids. My first serious answer is...

READ THE BOOK!
Link, I hope this is your last serious answer as well. :like:

Jeff, this is one of those question in which you are going to get a lot of totally different responses. There are those who are going to tell you to follow Ford's recommendations (those are the ones in the book). Others will tell you to drive it hard (like a rental car). Read them all and make up your mind which way you want to go. Strong arguments on both sides.

Personally I took if fairly easy for the 1st 500 miles. After that all bets were off.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rain6460

rain6460

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)

READ THE BOOK!

READ THE BOOK!
Gee thanks Linkster. Here’s one for you...how about you actually READ MY POST! First of all, if you’re going to make snarky, condescending, not to mention completely unhelpful remarks, then don’t bother posting.
And secondly, I don’t have the car OR THE BOOK yet. And yes I already thought about accessing the manual online, but this car’s engine is going to be modified in a pretty big way. All of which you would have discerned if you actually read my post. So I thought maybe, just maybe...moving from 460hp to 750 with a lot of different parts, different tune, etc., that maybe the service and maintenance requirements might be slightly different from what I’d see in the standard book for a stock vehicle. Doesn’t that make sense to you? If it doesn’t, then please don’t waste your time or mine adding useless comments on this thread.

OP
OP
rain6460

rain6460

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Link, I hope this is your last serious answer as well. :like:

Jeff, this is one of those question in which you are going to get a lot of totally different responses. There are those who are going to tell you to follow Ford's recommendations (those are the ones in the book). Others will tell you to drive it hard (like a rental car). Read them all and make up your mind which way you want to go. Strong arguments on both sides.

Personally I took if fairly easy for the 1st 500 miles. After that all bets were off.
Thank you Bikeman, and thank you for weighing in on Linkster! I just posted a similar response to him as well.

Yeah I just figured I was probably going to end up with the standard factory book, and wasn’t sure if the addition of the supercharger (being done at the dealership) was maybe going to to change the equation as far as the maintenance and service intervals

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I did read your post, a blower is not going to change the way the internal engine parts work. The idea is that Ford's recommendations are the way they are because it's been done and fixed and adjusted a million times. If that isn't enough, try the GT500 owners manual, that has a blower.

Now then, it isn't as simple as "drive it at 45 mph for 500 miles" or some such. Sophisticated machines use "procedures" for a reason.

Now, if you want to be SUPER SERIOUS your whole life, I don't wanna be a part, K.

OP
OP
rain6460

rain6460

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
I did read your post, a blower is not going to change the way the internal engine parts work. The idea is that Ford's recommendations are the way they are because it's been done and fixed and adjusted a million times. If that isn't enough, try the GT500 owners manual, that has a blower.

Now then, it isn't as simple as "drive it at 45 mph for 500 miles" or some such. Sophisticated machines use "procedures" for a reason.

Now, if you want to be SUPER SERIOUS your whole life, I don't wanna be a part, K.
Ok Link, thanks for your input. Sorry I fired back so strong. I’m actually pretty easy going. I just get a little irked if I think someone’s dissing me for no reason. But I realize now that probably wasn’t your intent.
I like getting a lot of different feedback before I decide on a game plan. This is not only my first Mustang but my first performance vehicle. Just turned 60 and have been waiting for this car since I first saw Bullitt back in ‘68! Thought maybe the blower might have changed the whole deal as far as maintenance goes. Happy to hear it doesn’t. Thanks again.

Sponsored
OP
OP
rain6460

rain6460

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ok Link, thanks for your input. Sorry I fired back so strong. I’m actually pretty easy going. I just get a little irked if I think someone’s dissing me for no reason. But I realize now that probably wasn’t your intent.
I like getting a lot of different feedback before I decide on a game plan. This is not only my first Mustang but my first performance vehicle. Just turned 60 and have been waiting for this car since I first saw Bullitt back in ‘68! Thought maybe the blower might have changed the whole deal as far as maintenance goes. Happy to hear it doesn’t. Thanks again.
I poured it on a little strong too, sorry.

The Manual gives you the info like a politician, a little of this a little of that. I just drove it like I wanted it act and how I planned on driving it. 50/50 city/hwy. 6200 miles later, it hasn't screamed, Yet.

OP
OP
rain6460

rain6460

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
I poured it on a little strong too, sorry.

The Manual gives you the info like a politician, a little of this a little of that. I just drove it like I wanted it act and how I planned on driving it. 50/50 city/hwy. 6200 miles later, it hasn't screamed, Yet.
Lol I’ll remember that Link. Thanks!

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
As someone that did a fairly conservative break in, just send it after 500 miles. The first 100 miles are the only time you really need to be extra gentle. That doesn't mean beat it to death, but enjoy the car after that magic 500. Do all the full pulls your heart desires.

OP
OP
rain6460

rain6460

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
As someone that did a fairly conservative break in, just send it after 500 miles. The first 100 miles are the only time you really need to be extra gentle. That doesn't mean beat it to death, but enjoy the car after that magic 500. Do all the full pulls your heart desires.
Thanks ice!
Sponsored