Matthewstorm

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Just drive it the way you want to drive it. Just avoid highway trips and cruising at a consistent RPM for long periods for the first 1000 miles.
Well, that will be impossible as I have to drive 1000 miles back home from the dealer.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Well, that will be impossible as I have to drive 1000 miles back home from the dealer.
When I have driven mine on the motorway during its running in period I have continually cycled gassing it and then backing off so its either under load or it's engine braking.

Probably pissed everyone off around me but hey, it's more fun and better for the car than sat there with the cruise on lol

In addition I am letting it rev to increasingly higher levels as the 1000 mile mark approaches, but I haven't held continuous high (or low) revs.

I've been very careful not to let the engine labour.

I've not been shy of using full throttle (that's the fun bit isn't it ?) - but taking both of the above points into consideration.

I've always let it warm up properly before stretching it's legs.

I've avoided long periods of idling.

Although its been well into three figures, I don't think I have ever had it in sixth yet - I suppose I should check sixth even works ... lol

Everyone will have there own interpretation of the 'manual' running in procedure and what they have read on the net.

I've just stuck with what was reasonably logical (or at least seemed it to me) and what fitted reasonably well into my lifestyle / driving habits :like:

I have only ran one other engine in from new (admittedly a turbo diesel SUV) but I followed the above and nine years later that car runs sweet - not even requiring its oil to be topped between its annual service (that's up to 9K for me) and according to other owners on that forum, I get 'unbelievable' (as in I'm bullshitting them) MPG figures.

WD :like:

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
When was the last time that you heard of an engine failure due to “inferior “ oil ??? Seriously...
Amsoil and other hyped oils do not offer any meaningful longer engine life
Any modern engine can last an easy 200k using “normal” oil and most cars end up being junked for other reasons
And frankly specialty cars do in average so few miles that you will be dead or sold your car way before your car reach that mileage...
A solution in search of a problem.....
I gusss... but I’m one of those guys who won’t sell anything til it gets totaled. I’m at like 175k on my dd using amsoil signature 15k mileage intervals, I used to do 10k intervals on semi synthetic cheap 30 dollar changes til 100k but now I just do 15k amsoil sig oil and amsoil filter.

I do this on all 3 of my cars.
Runs great. Oils rated to 25k but the filters only good til 15k thus my 15k intervals

once I pay a car off its mine til it’s totaled, you lose money if you sell. If you buy and never sellyou don’t lose anything (how I always see things)

I do 5 year amsoil intervals on my harley, and 2-3 years on my sportbikes. Never had a failure. Just drained my Harley amsoil synthetic at 5 years, 3k miles and it looked brand new.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Whatever the car is, you are supposed to constantly vary the RPMs to break in the engine components for x amount of miles without going WOT (pedal to the metal) and high speeds. Not sure specifically what the procedure is for the GTs but the owners manual will help with that.

I was a bit paranoid with my first oil change because of the hysteria around the Voodoo engine, but I personally wouldn't get an oil change unless you need it. The oil drain plugs are magnetized so they can absorb any metal bits, my friends told me that the 'break in oil' is a myth. But if you must get an oil change I'd say get it around 1,000 mi

Like what some have said the full synthetic isn't really necessary on a brand new car, its a bit overkill imo. I've seen people even do differential fluid changes lol, kinda ridiculous but guys like to baby their cars so I get it.

Not an oil expert, but 5W-20 should be fine, if you are tracking the car get 5W-50 so that the oil can withstand consistent high temps.

Sponsored

Tatum337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I have bought a lot of Mustangs and I drive it like I stole it. I don't give a f$ck about a break in period. If you know anything about racing, you build a new motor and go straight to the track. Maybe that's why it seems all my cars in the past usually run above average when compared to others. Let it RIP.. And yes I just got a new 21 myself.

OP
OP
Matthewstorm

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Ok, dumb question. Does the A10 have paddle shifters?

OP
OP
Matthewstorm

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I think break in is a throw back to olden days. The rings should seal right after first engine start. Follow the mfg's recommendations and maintenance schedule and use a good oil (not necessarily a boutique oil) and drive it IMHO.
Sponsored