Brand New S550 GT But Paint Seems Not OK

jmagnus87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Magnus
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Comp Orange '22 Chevy Silverado
Based on the lack of response from the OP I'm assuming he sold the car and got something else already 😂
Sponsored

Bigred911s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Big Red
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Sure, reject the car, it's "defective". lol

How many paint "defects" will this replacement car have?

Anyone that states that there vehicle has zero defects is an idiot.

Drive it jk550!
Interesting comment on your part because mine had none. That’s why I recommended going over the tire car before you sign the paperwork and take it off the dealer lot.

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
Some of you guys are acting like this is a factory new Ferrari. Now, I’m not saying that the paint defect is acceptable, absolutely not! But fixing it is not going to affect the value of the car at all. In fact, I will state that leaving it as is would actually devalue it more than letting the dealer fix it. If I saw that on a used car, I’d think it was in an accident with crap repair. Let them make it right. That is all they owe you, nothing more.

Bullittproof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium Fastback - Race Red !
I am GUESSING that mine has none, I walked around it giving it a five-foot view, it looked good, I accepted it. If it has any blemishes I am none the wiser.

Bullittproof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium Fastback - Race Red !
Some of you guys are acting like this is a factory new Ferrari. Now, I’m not saying that the paint defect is acceptable, absolutely not! But fixing it is not going to affect the value of the car at all. In fact, I will state that leaving it as is would actually devalue it more than letting the dealer fix it. If I saw that on a used car, I’d think it was in an accident with crap repair. Let them make it right. That is all they owe you, nothing more.
…on the other hand the detection of panels having been repainted to satisfy the detection of blemishes could suggest that the vehicle had been in an accident…

Sponsored

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
…on the other hand the detection of panels having been repainted to satisfy the detection of blemishes could suggest that the vehicle had been in an accident…
Nobody is looking that close on a standard Mustang GT. Seriously. Only the 37 people that post on here are. Everyone else is oblivious. After seeing the crap body work and paint work on some used recently purchased BMWs I’ve worked on, people don’t know how to look for this stuff.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I noticed a couple VERY SMALL blemishes like something airborne settled into the color coat. I looked the car over well at the dealership but still missed them. They are not bad enough to worry about and if the car was resprayed in Eruption Green I think the blend would possibly be more noticeable than the defect. I will monitor it and see if the defect stays the same before the warranty ends.

In the OPs situation it seems the defect is much more prevalent and the color so much easier to blend.
2C2342E2-EDF1-4877-97FC-799505B86A2D.jpeg
3E5C5408-CF1B-4E28-A42E-C7C08FC56C42.jpeg
Looks like a dust nib. Shouldn’t cause you any issues but worth keeping an eye on

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
OP signed up on tuesday, has not been seen since wed.

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
I tend to agree with what you are saying. Yes, there are people who hang out on Mustang boards who will show up with paint thickness gauge and look over every panel with a high intensity light, but we are not the norm. Most will go no deeper than an arms length inspection and if the car is clean and free of obvious defects they will be good to go.

Hoofer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Boz
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Vert, PP1, MagneRide, ActiveExhaust, B&O
Interesting comment on your part because mine had none. That’s why I recommended going over the tire car before you sign the paperwork and take it off the dealer lot.

- What's a paint defect according to Ford?
- How did you know what to look for?

The average person off the street is incapable of performing a 100% inspection on a new car for paint defects and declaring it "paint defect free".

Don't be a fool. This is a rabbit hole you don't want to go down.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
I noticed a couple VERY SMALL blemishes like something airborne settled into the color coat. I looked the car over well at the dealership but still missed them. They are not bad enough to worry about and if the car was resprayed in Eruption Green I think the blend would possibly be more noticeable than the defect. I will monitor it and see if the defect stays the same before the warranty ends.

In the OPs situation it seems the defect is much more prevalent and the color so much easier to blend.
2C2342E2-EDF1-4877-97FC-799505B86A2D.jpeg
3E5C5408-CF1B-4E28-A42E-C7C08FC56C42.jpeg
You can chisel that off with a hammer and screwdriver.

DadzMach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1
I really would talk to the dealer and see what they can do about getting you a different GT...

but... if you are happy with this one, make them fix it properly and get a paint meter and nice bright light and make them match the orange peel as close as possible.

Either way don't second guess whatever decision you make. Enjoy and drive the car either way, and don't fret too much.
I am about as anal as people come when it comes to car paint. I am the person that sells a car once it gets a scratch that involves paint to fix it. I had a scratch on my 45 day old Audi RS5 that ordered and sold it before it was 60 days old because of that tiny scratch. HOWEVER, if you have a really good Bodyshop and they know how anal you are, most likely they will assign this task to a person who would probably never do something this small. After I found the shop I used I never had an issue again with paint being touched on my car as long as they fixed it. They painted my passenger side rear quarter on my old Mustang convertible under warranty. Not a super easy color to make perfect, but even knowing exactly where it was masked off and all that, I could not find one sign of it. So tell them if they aren’t going to get you a new car that you are extremely anal and if it isn’t perfect you are going to bring it back as many times as needed to make sure it’s perfectly done. Be very nice when you do this, after all, it isn’t their fault and they are trying to help you. Most Bodyshop, especially painters do take great pride in the work they do. It’s an art for them. They want you to be as happy as they are. I have now moved and had to find another Bodyshop I can trust. I went and met with numerous until I heard all the correct answers. The one repair they did for me, on a very difficult blue to match, is 100% unnoticeable and even with a paint meter it reads as thick as every other place, well most places. You will rarely if if ever find a car with the same amount of paint on every single spot of it. Hope this may help reduce some of the stress and anxiety that goes along with having to do this. Just ask the right questions, explain to them exactly what you expect and how you are. And again, be very nice to them and if they are a respectable dealer they will do the right thing.
Sponsored