NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Either way lubricate those rear brake piston dust boots before you rotate them or they may tear.
Any suggestion on type of lube? I'd hate to use something that would eat the dust boots.
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Any suggestion on type of lube? I'd hate to use something that would eat the dust boots.
I just use a little squirt of WD40.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I just use a little squirt of WD40.
Thanks, I'll do that. Getting ready to order all my brake parts. Actually looking forward to wrenching on the car, it's been awhile. I've been having my oil changed at a shop, as living in an apartment makes disposing of the waste oil a pain.

I gotta make my list of other stuff to get....

Brake cleaner.
Paper towels/shop towels.
Needle nose pliers.
PB Blaster.
Caliper brush-on paint for the rear brake calipers.
Anti-squeal stuff.
A cheap rolling cart.

Jeeeeze......ordering all this stuff on-line sure makes it easier. Just wait for it all to come in, no running around from store-to-store getting stuff.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, I'll do that. Getting ready to order all my brake parts. Actually looking forward to wrenching on the car, it's been awhile. I've been having my oil changed at a shop, as living in an apartment makes disposing of the waste oil a pain.

I gotta make my list of other stuff to get....

Brake cleaner.
Paper towels/shop towels.
Needle nose pliers.
PB Blaster.
Caliper brush-on paint for the rear brake calipers.
Anti-squeal stuff.
A cheap rolling cart.

Jeeeeze......ordering all this stuff on-line sure makes it easier. Just wait for it all to come in, no running around from store-to-store getting stuff.
I'd also grab some 80 grit sandpaper to remove the transfer layer from your old pads if you're changing to a different brand.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I'd also grab some 80 grit sandpaper to remove the transfer layer from your old pads if you're changing to a different brand.
New pads & rotors.

What's the transfer layer?

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
New pads & rotors.

What's the transfer layer?
Oh then nevermind if new rotors. On your used rotors, the pads build up what's called a 'tranfer layer' of material on the rotor, and when you brake it's actually working between pad and that layer. That's the somewhat glossy sheen you see on the fiction surface vs. the rest of the iron.

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
Tool Alert!!!

I do believe you need a special tool to screw-in the rear pistons. Can anyone confirm this, maybe tell us what the tool is? Some sort of turny thingy?
Yeah it's a cube looking thing available at any Advanced Auto or Autozone. Works well.
Yup, just got one today at Advanced, under 10 bucks.

So......painting the rear calipers;

Just light sanding, then some special paint? I think there's a thick, brush-on high-temp black enamel specifically for brake calipers?

Grimace427 ruined the paint job on my rear calipers when he did my Steeda suspension install, so it's his fault!!!!:cwl::cwl:
Did this today too. I used a G2 kit. It includes a can of brake cleaner, 2 part paint, POS brush, etc. I'll reserve judgement until it's dry but it looks pretty good to me.

Shipey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt.
Sorry for stealing you thread OP, but I'm getting ready to do my brakes too.

So......painting the rear calipers;

Just light sanding, then some special paint? I think there's a thick, brush-on high-temp black enamel specifically for brake calipers?

Grimace427 ruined the paint job on my rear calipers when he did my Steeda suspension install, so it's his fault!!!!:cwl::cwl:
I used G-2 caliper paint on my GT/CS. It looked great and held up great for the 7 years I owned the car. Tried Rustoleum caliper paint on my daily driver and it was not even close to G-2.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Did this today too. I used a G2 kit. It includes a can of brake cleaner, 2 part paint, POS brush, etc. I'll reserve judgement until it's dry but it looks pretty good to me.
Can you give me a link, or more description so I can find that kit? I want a brush-on kit, so I don't spray paint all over.

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LOL, I saw that, no idea why it shows a smart car. I thought about changing it, but I would have had to log in and it wasn't worth the effort.

OP
OP
ChitownStang

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Alright, OP here back with original problem. I decided I’m going to tackle the brake job so I went and bought a repair manual and about to purchase all the pads, rotors, and misc stuff tomorrow, but I went for a taco run tonight and decided to find a smooth parking lot to listen when exactly this rubbing sound is happening. So I let the car roll in neutral going about 10mph and I hear this slight on/off rubbing with no brake applied. Can this still be the brakes or could it be something else?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Alright, OP here back with original problem. I decided I’m going to tackle the brake job so I went and bought a repair manual and about to purchase all the pads, rotors, and misc stuff tomorrow, but I went for a taco run tonight and decided to find a smooth parking lot to listen when exactly this rubbing sound is happening. So I let the car roll in neutral going about 10mph and I hear this slight on/off rubbing with no brake applied. Can this still be the brakes or could it be something else?
Did you attach a file? Brake pads do ever so slightly drag on the rotors normally. Rubbing sound is probably something different.

OP
OP
ChitownStang

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
there's no way you could hear it if I record it. maybe I will need to bring to stealership unfortunately.
Sponsored