Help, Need brake advice

Cruizer40

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT California Special, FPP2
Hey everyone so I had my rear calipers off there mounts and without thinking I step on the brakes. I didn't push hard but the caliper pistons did extend a bit. What is the best way to compress them enough to re- assemble?
Sponsored

Spike-S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Spike
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Mustang Fastback2016
I've always used an appropriate sized 'G' clamp always works ! You can pry them back gently with a small bar or similar just take care not to catch the rubber dust covers.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Hey everyone so I had my rear calipers off there mounts and without thinking I step on the brakes. I didn't push hard but the caliper pistons did extend a bit. What is the best way to compress them enough to re- assemble?
As I recall the rear pistons don't turn the adjustment screw unless you use the hand brake which I assume you didn't do. Therefore you should/might simply be able to push the pistons back just like with the fronts. Just make sure the bumps on the back of the pads engage the openings in the pistons. Maybe remove the master cylinder cap to let the air back out above the fluid. For the front calipers I carefully spread piston(s) with a wooden hammer handle or something else that can "lever" the pistons back since I don't own a pad spreader.

OP
OP
Cruizer40

Cruizer40

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT California Special, FPP2
As I recall the rear pistons don't turn the adjustment screw unless you use the hand brake which I assume you didn't do. Therefore you should/might simply be able to push the pistons back just like with the fronts. Just make sure the bumps on the back of the pads engage the openings in the pistons. Maybe remove the master cylinder cap to let the air back out above the fluid. For the front calipers I carefully spread piston(s) with a wooden hammer handle or something else that can "lever" the pistons back since I don't own a pad spreader.
Ok so I don't need to open up the bleeder screw then?

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
I haven't had the rears off yet, but if they are like the previous generation the pistons have to be rotated while compressing. There's a tool for that. You don't need to open the bleeder.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
The rear pistons rotate if you need to retract them. A pair of needle nose pliers can work if you dont have the correct tool (which you can rent from many auto parts shops). Just make sure to lube the piston rubber gaskets before you rotate the pistons, those thin rubber boots tear super easily. A tiny amount of WD40 on the rubber boots works well as a lube.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
How far did it extend? Just make sure there is no air in the line.
I would bleed it just to make sure.

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
Depending on how far they extended you just need to screw them back in, I rented the tool from an auto parts store and I did not bleed them or remove the cap as I didn’t need to
Sponsored