Sponsored

Brake Upgrade Question

gotboost?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow
Spent last two days researching how to upgrade from Base Ecoboost to Base GT Brakes. Searched many a thread and cannot find precise response. Contacted Levittown, American Muscle, and dealership where my FP tune was installed and none were exactly sure (need vin number of a GT, not sure if the calipers will bolt on, etc...). For something many said is easy, having the hardest time finding out how to proceed.

Can anyone tell me the part numbers I will need? Again just going from base ecoboost to base GT brakes (rotors, calipers and pads). Also let me know if there are any other parts I should consider. Thanks!
Sponsored

MagneticEco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I got mine on eBay that were new take-off parts from the GT, I got both front and backs. Mine came with the rotors, calipers, pads and brake-lines. The following ebay listing has both front and backs:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-Ford-M...ash=item2826c27d67:g:c3gAAOSwnHZYRjIE&vxp=mtr

You don't need the brake-lines since they are the same as on the Base Ecoboost brakes, but since they were already installed on the caliper, it was easier to just switch the whole thing. I did the swap myself with the help of a friend, mostly for the brake bleeding part. The backs are a bit trickier because of the parking brake, but you can rent a tool that helps with that I think, that part took us the longest since we didn't have the tool.

Overall, it's pretty easy, don't expect any performance benefits unless you plan on tracking the car, I did it mostly for the looks. Let me know if you have any questions.

2015EB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Does anyone know if you need new dust shields or anything other than the calipers, brake pads and rotors?
I'm thinking about upgrading to the 4 piston GT brakes in the front.

Thanks,
Jason

stevnoof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt base manual 3.31
No dust shield needed just caliper and rotor

Sponsored

stevnoof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt base manual 3.31
^ Lol I bought a used set of caliper with pads and rotors for like $300 and a week later people were trying to get rid of them even cheaper. They are pretty damn good to.

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
don't expect any performance benefits unless you plan on tracking the car, I did it mostly for the looks. Let me know if you have any questions.
I have a PP car (with the GT brakes). IIRC, the GTPP brakes are also a(n expensive) bolt-on option for this car.

Since I've never owned a base Ecoboost, but I've owned 2 Ecoboost PP cars now, I can say in 24,000 miles of driving I've never had a brake issue.

This is a far cry from any other Ford I've owned: lots of warped rotors and premature brake pad wear over there ;) (Ford seems to underengineer brakes! Especially in big cars...). GM tends to do brakes a lot better, my wife's 2007 TrailBlazer is at 115,000 miles with factory brake pads, never had to turn the rotors, and we've even used it to tow lots of things over the years that we've owned it!

The Ecoboost Performance Pack is truly a bargain on new cars: GT Brakes, GT radiator, 3.55 rear end...:) All for $1,995.

The only thing I somewhat dislike is the "summer" tires...I now own a set of all-seasons for the winter.

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
don't expect any performance benefits unless you plan on tracking the car, I did it mostly for the looks. Let me know if you have any questions.
The second you pump the brakes for the first time after having tried base brakes, you can tell a huge difference.

Sponsored

DANA44

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 convertible
Does anyone know if you need new dust shields or anything other than the calipers, brake pads and rotors?
I'm thinking about upgrading to the 4 piston GT brakes in the front.

Thanks,
Jason
The proper sized shields are a little bigger as both disc are larger. For the front,FR3Z-2K005-B and
FR3Z-2K004-B. The rears FR3Z-2C028-B and FR3Z-2C028-A.

DUNDEM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base EB PP
The second you pump the brakes for the first time after having tried base brakes, you can tell a huge difference.
I have test drove a v6 s550, but not pushed it to the limits. I have pushed the PP eco brakes. The PP have to be better they're vented in the rear and larger obviously up front.

I agree there has to be a difference.

I have DBA slotted rotors and Stillen brake pads in the front now and original rear pads and rotors at about 27k miles the combo is great! Very confident braking performance. just in case there was any question these products.

For about $300 it's a no brainer to upgrade to the Base GT front rotors at the least.

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
I have test drove a v6 s550, but not pushed it to the limits. I have pushed the PP eco brakes.
Maybe you should be looking for the 6 piston GTPP brakes then? :headbang: And the drilled rotors that go with them? :D

The GTPP also has drilled rotors in the rear, IIRC...

P.S. it's all available from Ford Racing! :ford:
Sponsored