Sponsored

Botched Wiring Bundle Repair

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
^^^ That should get you someone who's going to try and make the repair like it should be. If the dealer blows you off I'd get back to Ford and ask if they really think that's an appropriate repair.

They need to cover the repair with the same kind of outside cable bundle material so it looks factory.
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Ask the dealer nicely. Always a chance management doesn't know they have a screw-up doing the work. Of course management should know but still.... You might be surprised what they do and it costs you nothing if they blow you off. I agree with others who say don't fight with them over this. If they won't take ownership fix it yourself and never darken their door again.

OP
OP

grippn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A black 2016 Mustang EcoBoost Premium Convertible
If the dealer blows you off I'd get back to Ford and ask if they really think that's an appropriate repair.

They need to cover the repair with the same kind of outside cable bundle material so it looks factory.
See that's was what I told the service manager and he blew me off saying that's what ford approved. I'll call then tomorrow and see where I can get.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Ford approved that type of repair. Not that quality of workmanship. I'm an electronics tech. That shit was done by someone that doesn't know how to do wiring.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Mine is still totally F'ed up, I tried to repair it after seeing others get crap like this but that portion of the harness is totes screwed up. I had to run an old dog leash thru the backseats for days when the trunk refuses to open; fob, ext/int buttons. I'm waiting on a TSB for it but given that I've monkeyed with it, I think I'll get told to take a walk, which its a lease so they can have it back in 12 months with the harness all geeked up.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I had to run an old dog leash thru the backseats for days when the trunk refuses to open
Please, don't give Ford ideas for a new solution.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I had hoped that the existing harness that extension of if thru the passenger compartment in to the trunk was a separate branch with a plug/play connector as I'd just buy that piece if it were available and priced reasonably but I never found a connector and honestly I think the wires are broken in another spot than the one I've found already.

None2Slow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Performance package
Maybe go to a salvage yard and look around at some cars that have been taken apart and see where it connects. Never know what you find.

Cmw458

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow black ford mustang ecoboost premium PP
Is there a TSB on the wiring harness? My back up camera stopped working as well and they're saying that the in the trunk the wire was spliced like something was rubbing against and they said it won't be covered under warranty. And it's $500 fix outta my pocket... there's nothing that goes in my trunk that would cause it to splice.

Sponsored

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Is there a TSB on the wiring harness? My back up camera stopped working as well and they're saying that the in the trunk the wire was spliced like something was rubbing against and they said it won't be covered under warranty. And it's $500 fix outta my pocket... there's nothing that goes in my trunk that would cause it to splice.
:shrug: A rubbing wire does not splice a wire. Are you the original owner?
If not, pull a CarFax to see if a previous dealership did the repair, or attempted it. Is it a splice or an abrasion? The abrasion is the reason the cameras keep going out. It's because Ford didn't protect the harness from rubbing the edge of the opening or a clamp holding it in place.

I keep having intermittent issues with mine, but less lately. After seeing the jack-leg repair posted previously, I'm afraid to let anyone do this for me.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
"Splice" is when you put together two wires.

As for your wire splitting or becoming damaged, it's probably because Ford decided to make it possible to close the trunk door on the trunk wiring instead of running the wires with a guide to ensure that doesn't happen. Idiots...

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Why is it not covered? did your 36mo warranty expire?

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Mine was covered under warranty, however it was obvious that my harness was still in factory condition, i.e. not a previously botched repair attempt.

See my thread about harness-caused Trunk Ajar warning. There are other threads about camera and trunk release problems due to the harness.

I believe they should cover it under warranty. Explain to the dealer that this is a common factory-induced problem, and that you want a second repair attempt. Find a sympathetic dealer if you must.

SterlingStangMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Magnetic Ecoboost
I had the warranty repair done on my car just before the 36K warranty ran out. About a week ago the camera again went out with the warning screen. Fortunately for me, I work with several electrical engineers and field technician. One of them opened up the wire harness and low and behold not one but three wires were broke. One is the mini coax to the satellite antenna (not a big issue, don't use Sirius XM). The repair is very poorly done and appear a hard plastic sheeth was installed in the upper end of the loom. This was the point of failure for all three wires - in other words, this CAUSED the other breaks. Don't know if this is part of the TSB but, the placement of this sheeth made the wires break. Originally I suspected the break was where they zip tied it to the trunk opening. Anyway, we jury rigged a repair and the camera is back in operation complete with guideline. Tomorrow when it is cooler and he has his tools, we will make the final repairs. If someone has a copy of the TSB, I would love to see it.
Sponsored