Sponsored

Botched Wiring Bundle Repair

grippn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A black 2016 Mustang EcoBoost Premium Convertible
Hey all. I had a question about the wiring bundle that connects to the backup camera in the trunk. My backup camera wasn't working, it was displaying the "no camera found" message when that car was in reverse, so I brought it in for warranty repair. When I got the car back the camera worked but the lines did not display and the wiring bundle looked like this. In the work order description they said they found a fault in one of the lines inside the wiring bundle. They cut it open spliced it and tested it again. The camera still didn't work so they replaced the camera and it came online. My question is this acceptable repair for the wiring bundle? I didn't think so and so I asked them to replace it with an OEM bundle. They told me that they couldn't because the part doesn't have any work hours associated with it and can't get that bundle. Is this true? It looks like shit now and I really wanted it to look like it did before.
Sponsored

Legionofone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Base
I wouldn't be okay with that repair.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I'll be honest... make it look good yourself and move on. Dealer will just fight you and it's not worth it. Can get wire loom and tape at a hardware store.

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
Wow. Nasty. Yeah fix it right yourself!

Fenix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Shadow Black
Surprising the dealer didn't even make it look decent

Most of the wiring harness is wrapped in tesa tape which can be found on ebay pretty cheap. I'd probably just get a roll and cover up their eyesore since it's right there when the trunk is open.

Sponsored

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
I had the same problem. They replaced my camera, but also repaired the wire. I read that there is a TSB for that wire...seems that it rubs on the edge when you open the trunk and the wire can break in that spot. They taped mine up too because they had to splice the wire but it looks neat enough for me.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Does the dealer have employee's 5 year olds making electrical repairs? That's horrible.

None2Slow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Performance package
I would send that picture to Ford and see what they have to say. That is in no way an acceptable way to send out a car. I can't believe they pay people to do repairs like that and stay in business. If I got my car back like that, I would not go back to that dealership for any other repairs, electrical or otherwise.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
My trunk release stopped working. I posted a thread about it.

They put their best electrical tech on it, and I watched him cut/splice about 6 lines in that harness. The cable tie to the rear bulkhead was too tight. I made sure he used butt splices and no solder, and when he was done the harness looked like new. No issues since.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I'm confused - why would you NOT want someone to solder the wire? It's a better connection.

Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Because soldering is not the best choice for a wire harness that gets flexed routinely.
The solder flows up the strands making a stiff section next to a flexible one. The wire will then break there at some later time.

OP
OP

grippn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bringing this back from the dead. Recently brought the car back to Mahwah Ford for the AC and for the backup camera again. The camera was flickering in and out so I wasn't taking any chances. They re soldered the wires but it still came back like this. Spoke to the service manager and he said that the repair is what ford approved and basically said he won't do anything else unless ford motoco pays for it. I don't know if I'm in the wrong but this whole thing has left a bad taste in my mouth.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
That is just lazy. Whomever did that at that shop has no respect for themselves OR they are expected to work far too fast. If you were near me I could have that looking extremely professional in about 30 minutes. Take it to a good car audio shop and ask them to clean that up - that is where I learned what I would do here.

OP
OP

grippn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks like a 10 year old did that repair. Send photos to Ford.
Do you know where? I already tweeted [MENTION=7992]FordService[/MENTION] on twitter. They DMed me and said they opened a case file and that I should contact the service manager? I have no clue what to do at this point? Might have to do my own repair.

This was there reply:

Ford_Service said:
[MY_NAME],
Thank you for providing Ford Motor Company with your comments, your opinions are valuable to us. Your information will be forwarded to the Service Manager at your dealership for review. I have also documented your situation and added notes to your active case that your dealer will be able to view. The Dealer Service Manager at Mahwah Ford is Joseph Nidowicz and he is in the best position to assist you with your vehicle concern. The dealership phone number is (201) 529-3200. If there is no coverage under applicable warranties, recalls, or ESPs, repairs and services would be your responsibility. Your next step is to make an appointment with your servicing dealership to have your vehicle diagnosed. I do see your case in our system regarding this situation as well, I have added these notes to that case. I know it can be frustrating but your vehicle would have to be brought back to the dealership that performed the repairs since this is a workmanship issue. Also, I have requested that they reach out to you as well. Your situation will be sent along to them, thank you.
Alex
Ford Service Team
Sponsored