green97probe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2014 Edge
Vehicle Showcase
Recently, I installed a lightly used Borla S Type catback on my otherwise stock 2018 GT after watching many videos to get an idea of how the system sounds compared to stock.

However, I find it to be almost annoyingly loud, like an exhaust leak or a rice burner with the muffler hacked off. My girlfriend thought it was her father's beater pickup out front when I pulled up in front of her place.

It is unfortunate because I like some of the deeper tone down low, but I'm not liking the nascar-llike sound at 3k and higher.

To it's credit, there's no headache inducing drone, just lots of rasp.

To put this in comparison to what I like from aftermarket exhaust, I had Ford Racing FR500S axlebacks on both of my S197s and loved the sound.

I've been considering adding Borla's 60661 resonator, but I'm hesitant to put more money into this setup.

Anyone have any advice?
Sponsored

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
I've been considering adding Borla's 60661
You won’t regret installing the 60661.
It has an internal H-Pipe. It’s going to give you the attenuation your after so long as your current Catback system is 3.0”
Changing from a mandrel bent X-pipe to an H-pipe isn’t going to lower the dB’s to your expectations.

Last edited:

AnalogDan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT – 6MT, 401A
Getting rid of the resonator is always risky unless you like a super loud exhaust. I would get tired of my resonator-less setup if I couldn't switch to Quiet/Normal mode with the active setup.

Adding a resonator back is a good idea.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
A pair of Vibrant 1794s will help. 3" in and out 12" long. Helped to tone down my ARH LTH to Corsa Xtreme setup.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Do the Borla resonator.

Sponsored

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Recently, I installed a lightly used Borla S Type catback on my otherwise stock 2018 GT after watching many videos to get an idea of how the system sounds compared to stock.

However, I find it to be almost annoyingly loud, like an exhaust leak or a rice burner with the muffler hacked off. My girlfriend thought it was her father's beater pickup out front when I pulled up in front of her place.

It is unfortunate because I like some of the deeper tone down low, but I'm not liking the nascar-llike sound at 3k and higher.

To it's credit, there's no headache inducing drone, just lots of rasp.

To put this in comparison to what I like from aftermarket exhaust, I had Ford Racing FR500S axlebacks on both of my S197s and loved the sound.

I've been considering adding Borla's 60661 resonator, but I'm hesitant to put more money into this setup.

Anyone have any advice?
take it off and go back to stock....

Also how much u want for it?

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Swap the X pipe for an H pipe. X pipes are raspy. I love raspy sounding systems, so yeah no joke I'll buy it off u if U cut the exhaust you're going to have a hard time selling it...

TRPCANA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT
Yea get rid of the X. i have S types on my 2018 with an H pipe and active exhaust, sound is amazing. Track mode has a great deep aggressive tone to it. The only time there is the slightest hint of rasp is on cold start but once the pipes warm up it resumes a great tone. IMO x pipes on these cars always sound like shit, all just raw noise without tone and screams i need attention. Good luck and swap the x pipe out and you should be fine.

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Swap the X-pipe for an H-pipe. X-pipes are raspy.
An X-pipe will (in most cases) make more HP over an H-pipe. But, as you indicated, there is distinct sound w/the X-pipe & that difference may not sit well w/some. My '98 GT has a Borla system (sans cats) w/a Mac Pro Chamber. I purchased an X-pipe for the race car (also a '98), but installed it on the street car 1st (removing the Pro Chamber) just for grins & giggles. I did NOT like the sound. Call it raspy or call it ratty ... it (IMO) lost any semblance of what a Mustang V8 should sound like (& I have owned two '65s, two '98s + a 2019 ... all V8s). Needless to say, the X-pipe was immediately removed (& Pro Chamber reinstalled) & installed on the race car where sound doesn't count for squat, but HP counts for everything. Now, w/all that said, I installed a Borla S-Type system (140745) on my 2019. The system comes w/an X-pipe. The end result was the sound was still high pitched & very intrusive (again, IMO). Installed the Borla resonator (60661) & am very happy w/the end result. Just an FYI, there is only a 3.5 lb weight difference between the Borla X-pipe & the Borla resonator. BTW, Borla does a very nice job on their site in explaining the difference between a muffler & a resonator. Take the time to read it if you think that the terms are synonymous.

Last edited:

jcl78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium / PP1 / MT-82
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't like the no resonator rasp of the Coyote either. I concur with others, either install the Borla resonator or the Magnaflow Tru-X to cut the rasp.

Sponsored
OP
OP
green97probe

green97probe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks guys.

MrWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
MY2018 Magnetic Auto GT
Yea get rid of the X. i have S types on my 2018 with an H pipe and active exhaust, sound is amazing. Track mode has a great deep aggressive tone to it. The only time there is the slightest hint of rasp is on cold start but once the pipes warm up it resumes a great tone. IMO x pipes on these cars always sound like shit, all just raw noise without tone and screams i need attention. Good luck and swap the x pipe out and you should be fine.
You’ve exactly described the set up I’m looking to replace my active exhaust.

You don’t happen to have any sound clips do you?

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
I cant help but disagree with u guys the rasp sounds amazing! Makes it sound like a racecar. Especially with long tubes and the ghost cam tune eargasm!

OP
OP
green97probe

green97probe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I cant help but disagree with u guys the rasp sounds amazing! Makes it sound like a racecar. Especially with long tubes and the ghost cam tune eargasm!
I can see how some people like it, but personally I was after more of a classic American V8 sound.

I was hesitant to modify the exhaust at all because the stock exhaust sounded really good for stock.

By comparison, my 2007 GT was almost silent in stock form, while the 2010 GT was a bit better.

The stock exhaust note of the 2018 was one of the things that drew me to it.

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
Also have the Borla resonator on my Stype. Easy to install and a cheap option.
Sponsored