Sponsored

Boostworks or lpf experience daily driver

Brent Davis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black Premium Mustang GT
6-8 Hours for LPF?? That's less than a blower kit... Man my Hellion Kit took 20+ hours, granted by myself in my garage on jacks LOL.
Yes that is a reasonable amount of time. Once the drivers headed is on, bolt both turbos on, take nose off and install intercooler, install hoses and clamps, plumb the water cooler lines, modify the trans cooler lines, install wastegates, install filters, install downpipes and connecting pipes which would be about 6-8 hours. Now the other supporting items like installing the fuel system, injectors and plugs is separate time. I’m talking just the kit.
Sponsored

08StangGT_CS

Fight The Urge to Boost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Race Red No Options
Another Happy LPF customer here so far. Got my kit installed by them
In January.

08StangGT_CS

Fight The Urge to Boost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Race Red No Options
Nice.. which turbos did you go with and what are your impressions so far?
6062 is what he recommends in manuals. Really happy with the kit. Out of boost you wouldn’t think there’s anything there. Drives like the day I picked it off the dealership. Smash the pedal and it’s just straight out violent.

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
6062 is what he recommends in manuals. Really happy with the kit. Out of boost you wouldn’t think there’s anything there. Drives like the day I picked it off the dealership. Smash the pedal and it’s just straight out violent.
Looks like you lost..

Sponsored

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!

That's fantastic. Did LPF tune it also? What fuel system?

Black Dog

Looking For Trouble
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Air Cooled Twins by Comp Turbo
After everything i’ve seen and read, i can’t imagine just not simply going with hellion if i were in the market. Seems the LPF works great as long as you can add a few weeks onto your ship date and be ok with it, just remember it ain’t amazon.

And just wow at boostworks...what a clusterfawk
Better add $1600 to the LPF kit. Valve springs will need to be changed. And the Comp turbos are problematic with this kit. They do not have a thrust bearing and the stock header back pressure issues throws the turbine wheel into the housing thus warranty after warranty issues.

I have this kit and am very happy with it:
https://twinturbomustang.net/blackbird-twin-turbo-kit/

You choose a kit based on the turbo position and other features you like, they are all a little different.
If you are going to go Comp turbos this is the way to go because of the turbo headers supplied do no not create issues for the compressor wheel. Plimmer has a really quick car and has Youtube videos.

cobra199711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 A10 GT
Interesting

Better add $1600 to the LPF kit. Valve springs will need to be changed. And the Comp turbos are problematic with this kit. They do not have a thrust bearing and the stock header back pressure issues throws the turbine wheel into the housing thus warranty after warranty issues.

If you are going to go Comp turbos this is the way to go because of the turbo headers supplied do no not create issues for the compressor wheel. Plimmer has a really quick car and has Youtube videos.
In regard to the LPF kit- are those issues prevalent in all kits installed? Do you know if LPF has an upgrade for Turbo headers? That 1600.00 seems to be a nice chunk of change to add, that alone makes me think twice now...I love the Blackbird kit, but it’s a bit pricey.. I’ve heard around 10-11k.. Thanks for the info!!!

Black Dog

Looking For Trouble
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
In regard to the LPF kit- are those issues prevalent in all kits installed? Do you know if LPF has an upgrade for Turbo headers? That 1600.00 seems to be a nice chunk of change to add, that alone makes me think twice now...I love the Blackbird kit, but it’s a bit pricey.. I’ve heard around 10-11k.. Thanks for the info!!!
A properly built turbo kit be it a twin or big single kit they are just expensive. LPG and Hellion have taken some of the bite out the cost by not doing a good set of headers. Using stock exhaust manifolds was a great idea for the budget buyer. But get ready to include price of valve springs and install to the cost. Both those kits have been known to float valves. I talked to hellion and was told that they now have a better set of headers that comes with their kit. So from that it seems that they are seeing this issue and did something about it. Tuners have had hell with these kits playing with cam timing. But to finish answering your question, NO. It is the back pressure from using stock Ford exhaust manifolds. The Blackbird kit seems to be one of the best designed kits on the market and this kit uses the Comp turbo oil less that does not have a thrust bearing as well and notice that this kit does not have the valve float or turbo failures as the Lpf kit does. Turbo kits are not cheap. And going cheap will come back to haunt your bank account. So just spend the money one time with a quality kit. :)

cobra199711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 A10 GT
^^^ Thank you for the detailed answer. I think I’ll weigh my options either with a properly set up TT or possibly a VMP TVS, Whipple. I love the low end torque of those and recently rode in TT Mustang and it was NASTY to say the least.

Sponsored

Black Dog

Looking For Trouble
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
^^^ Thank you for the detailed answer. I think I’ll weigh my options either with a properly set up TT or possibly a VMP TVS, Whipple. I love the low end torque of those and recently rode in TT Mustang and it was NASTY to say the least.
IMHO Whipple gets my vote over vmp all day everyday. Have you looked at centrifugal blowers? Basically a turbo with a belt. Cheaper boost option without the heat soak of a PD blower.

cobra199711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 A10 GT
Yes

IMHO Whipple gets my vote over vmp all day everyday. Have you looked at centrifugal blowers? Basically a turbo with a belt. Cheaper boost option without the heat soak of a PD blower.
I had an 04 Cobra, 97 Cobra with a Procharger and always preferred the “feel” of the 04. I’m buying a 2019 A10 and thought about the TT or the new VMP 2650, newest Whipple.. I did like the Procharger and NEVER had an issue with it, I can say that for sure!!... strike the VMP, in another thread someone stated there isn’t one for the 18+ at this time.

Last edited:

Dennisn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
Something else to add to the pot, if your throwing enough boost to float the valves there's a good chance you'll lift the heads under boost.

So if your gonna do springs might as well add the cost of studding it. You'd be a fool not to.

That said both the hellion kit and the lpf are putting down some impressive numbers. Look at the s550 list of fast cars. that list tells you who's going fast on what kit. Data does not lie.

Black Dog

Looking For Trouble
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
Something else to add to the pot, if your throwing enough boost to float the valves there's a good chance you'll lift the heads under boost.

So if your gonna do springs might as well add the cost of studding it. You'd be a fool not to.

That said both the hellion kit and the lpf are putting down some impressive numbers. Look at the s550 list of fast cars. that list tells you who's going fast on what kit. Data does not lie.
Not necessarily true. Valve float happens way before blowing a head gasket.

Dennisn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
Not necessarily true. Valve float happens way before blowing a head gasket.
I don’t know about that. Before maybe but wouldn’t say “way before”.. I ran over a year at around 850rwhp no issues floating the valves on hellion with 55’s. Turned it up couple lbs with the Aluminator (930 rwhp) and started floating the valves and lifting the heads. Wouldn’t consider that way before. Don’t think the lines that far between the two.

That said with studs and springs both kits are doing pretty good work.
Sponsored

Last edited: