Sponsored

Boosted 2020 or S197 GT500

RoGCobraRV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Trying to decide if I should boost my 2020 PP1 (Ess/Vortech) or get back into another 07 -12 GT500 which I used to own. I'm really missing my vmp pullied/tuned shelby,but were taking about a 10+ year old car at this point if I bought one with low miles though. It would be a daily but I'm not really concerned with all the creature comforts/ better drive ability that I'd lose with the S550.

Not looking for crazy numbers, 650 or so whp in the s550 or a pulley and tune combo or a vmp/ whipple on the 500.

Opinions.......
Sponsored

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
If you miss the VMP blower from your GT500, why not install a TVS blower on your 2020? Better driveability and you will have the low end grunt of the blower. I wouldn't go centrifugal if you want a GT500 style driving experience.

OP
OP
RoGCobraRV

RoGCobraRV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
If you miss the VMP blower from your GT500, why not install a TVS blower on your 2020? Better o you will have the low end grunt of the blower. I wouldn't go centrifugal if you want a GT500 style driving experience.
I think it is something in me psychologically that wants back the feeling of owning a shelby rather then just a plain jane s550. I did buy this car with the plan to boost it and keep it long term. I just don't wanna put money in it if I'm not gonna be happy in it.

I do know that if I boosted itI would definitely enjoy it more

JBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I had the same debate last year (never had a GT500 though) and went with the S550 for the comforts and features. I've never regretted it but since you ruled those out sounds like the earlier model is the one :thumbsup:

2022 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1...2014 Mustag GT whipple supercharger
13-14 gt500 if you go that route. Much stronger performance than the earlier gt500s. The s550s with an tvs or twin screw will be very reliable and get you into the 650 range with ease.

Really depends on your ultimate goals.

Sponsored

dbtgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
13-14 gt500 if you go that route. Much stronger performance than the earlier gt500s. The s550s with an tvs or twin screw will be very reliable and get you into the 650 range with ease.

Really depends on your ultimate goals.
This ^
I've owned both (2009 & 2014 GT500s) and the 2013-2014 is much stronger!

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
I wouldn't go centrifugal if you want a GT500 style driving experience.
^ This. That centrifugal blower will add power at high rpm, to an engine that mostly has power at high rpm.

Also, while I was window-shopping superchargers it seemed like the centrifugal blower kits don't save you much money over the Whipple or other screw-type compressors.

Between these choices, I'd lean toward the car that already had a supercharger from the factory partly for the low-rpm grunt, and partly on the principle that everything around the supercharger was made for the supercharger.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
As I read the OP I was thinking 13-14 gt500 as well. Imo that’s possibly the most desirable mustang in history due to the large displacement, low compression, factory blower, and solid rear axle.

pmor4243

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Parker
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
^ This. That centrifugal blower will add power at high rpm, to an engine that mostly has power at high rpm.

Also, while I was window-shopping superchargers it seemed like the centrifugal blower kits don't save you much money over the Whipple or other screw-type compressors.

Between these choices, I'd lean toward the car that already had a supercharger from the factory partly for the low-rpm grunt, and partly on the principle that everything around the supercharger was made for the supercharger.
Definitely some good points here. I went with a Procharger on my 19 GT. Lots of reading would have you think Centrifugals are considerably cheaper but after it was all said and done, that was absolutely not the case. I didnt go centri for cost savings but if I did, I would have been surprised.

Mine dynod at 695 (Im in Utah at 4,500 ft) but as ShadesOfBloo pointed out, all that power is at the top end. A lot of times when Im just driving around like a sane human, I start thinking my car feels slow due to "about stock" low end torque, but once you get into it, the car is definitely not slow. The biggest plus with how the power is delivered (and why I went Centri) is I have surprising little traction issues and can put the power down very well for the street driving I do. Obviously a PD blower would be a different story and would give that low end tire spinning grunt.

OP
OP
RoGCobraRV

RoGCobraRV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Only issue with the 13-14 is they are astronomically priced imo. 55k minimum with lower mileage. Seems steep to me for a almost 10 year old car without a warranty

Sponsored
OP
OP
RoGCobraRV

RoGCobraRV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT

That's actually one of the many reasons I was looking at the ESS.Looks to me to be by far the easiest kit to install

2022 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1...2014 Mustag GT whipple supercharger
Only issue with the 13-14 is they are astronomically priced imo. 55k minimum with lower mileage. Seems steep to me for a almost 10 year old car without a warranty
Again, 55k for a low milage car with everything you want isn't much. Your all in price on the PP1 with a supercharger with supporting mods properly isnt much less. Again youd need to sell the s550 1st. And in the ling run, the 13-14 gt500 will hold its value long run. In all reality once you place a supercharger on a 2020 you're without warranty either.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
If you slap a blower on your 2020, your warranty is toast also. Relative to the price of an S550 GT500, $55k is pretty decent for what you’re getting. Maybe pricing drops another 5-10% in the coming months but probably not more than that. They’re still pretty sought after cars

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
As I read the OP I was thinking 13-14 gt500 as well. Imo that’s possibly the most desirable mustang in history due to the large displacement, low compression, factory blower, and solid rear axle.
Yea 13-14 cant be beat, just a beautiful car that still looks great and makes great power with mild mods

Last edited:

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Based on what you are saying, 13-14 GT500 sounds like a great fit. I loved them snakes.

Why not drive a PD boosted S550 and compare to the Shelby. See how you like it compared to your previous snake.
Sponsored