Book on Ford Coyote Engines

RazzaRossa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
I enjoy the technical topics on this Forum ( as well as some of the Bull$hit topics), but seems like you can get a lot of conflicting information and opinions. I ran across a book on line titled "Ford Coyote Engines" revised edition by Jim Smart, it was $35.
If you are into the technical minutia of the Coyote, and its development on an extremely detailed level, this is a great read. The book originally covered Gens I & II, but the revised addition has added all the differences of the Gen III. It also Covers the 5.2 Voodoo in great depth. In addition to the developmental details, it covers performance upgrades to each generation, like what parts can fit on what generation, and there is a TON to absorb. The book really pushes how great the design of theses little beats are, almost to the point of nothing could be better, but I get that. All the support he received in putting this book together leans on the side of Rah-Rah Ford has created the ultimate small block(to which I agree!).
There is a lot of good info in this book with part numbers and Dyno test results, it's a great book to have on the shelf for reference. I'm only halfway through, and am into it thouroghly.
Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
How did Jimbo get his information?

Joshinator99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium, 2017 Camaro 2SS
I enjoy the technical topics on this Forum ( as well as some of the Bull$hit topics), but seems like you can get a lot of conflicting information and opinions. I ran across a book on line titled "Ford Coyote Engines" revised edition by Jim Smart, it was $35.
If you are into the technical minutia of the Coyote, and its development on an extremely detailed level, this is a great read. The book originally covered Gens I & II, but the revised addition has added all the differences of the Gen III. It also Covers the 5.2 Voodoo in great depth. In addition to the developmental details, it covers performance upgrades to each generation, like what parts can fit on what generation, and there is a TON to absorb. The book really pushes how great the design of theses little beats are, almost to the point of nothing could be better, but I get that. All the support he received in putting this book together leans on the side of Rah-Rah Ford has created the ultimate small block(to which I agree!).
There is a lot of good info in this book with part numbers and Dyno test results, it's a great book to have on the shelf for reference. I'm only halfway through, and am into it thouroghly.
Just ordered it up. Thanks for the suggestion!

OP
OP
RazzaRossa

RazzaRossa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Not sure, his Acknowledgement does not cover that, except he contacted a lot of folks in the industry and put his findings/data in this book. Perhaps you could enlighten us?

Sponsored

Johnny Rockit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT 6-speed. 2015 F-250XLT,73 Torino
Ordered the book. I love these types of reads. I gave away all my old car books, manuals, and wiring diagrams. Old iron bores me now.
I still have my 335 series literature to get rid of with a set of closed chamber 351cj heads. And a cd on 72 Gran Torino and mid size fords. Cannot leave here fast enough.

Traffic22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 Raptor, 2011 Ford CV Lemons Race Car
How did Jimbo get his information?
Here is dudes bio….seems to know his stuff.

JIM SMART - CONTRIBUTOR
Jim Smart cut his teeth on automobiles in the 1970s with a passionate interest in Ford and Chrysler musclecars. After serving in the United States Air Force, he transitioned into automotive journalism as editor of Mustang Monthly magazine in 1984. In 1990, Jim joined Petersen Publishing Company as a feature editor at Car Craft, and later as editor of Mustang & Fords, then senior editor at both Mustang Monthly and Mustang & Fords. Jim writes for a wide variety of automotive publishers and websites.

Thanks for the recommendation @RazzaRossa It’s in the shopping cart. Along with the same one @First Stang got. (Guess stupid Amazon suckered us both in. 😆

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
As an automotive engineer in the industry I have heard of and respect Jim! Most of his accomplishments are from his registry he founded for the older mustangs, but I'd bet his information is pretty spot on for the newer ones too! He has A LOT of connection with ford, so I wouldn't be surprised if he knows the engineer who designed the coyote engine (my friend lol).
Sponsored