Ford 5.0L V8 Coyote (Mustang GT/Bullitt) Named 2019 Wards 10 Best Engines

Discussion in 'Mustang S550 General Forums' started by Jarstang, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Jarstang

Jarstang Administrator
    Administrator

Vehicle(s):
    Ford
    0   0   0
    2019-Ford-Mustang-GT-Bullitt-V8.jpg

2019 Wards 10 Best Engines: Gasoline, Diesel, Electrification Honored

“I never thought I’d live to see the day when a fuel-cell car and a battery EV would make the list the same year as two burly V-8s and a sophisticated 4-cyl. engine with variable compression,” says WardsAuto editor Drew Winter.

For the first time ever, three pickup-truck engines appear on the Wards 10 Best Engines list, while four electrified powertrains make the cut for the second consecutive year as well.

Rounding out the field in this 25th year of the Wards 10 Best Engines competition is a muscle-car V-8, a German luxury turbocharged inline 6-cyl. and a groundbreaking turbocharged 4-cyl. with variable compression ratio.

WardsAuto editors chose the winners after spending October and November evaluating 34 engines and electric propulsion systems during routine commutes in metro Detroit.

Other notable trends this year: Ford wins two trophies for the second year in a row, and Hyundai wins two awards in the same year for the first time ever. A hydrogen-powered fuel-cell vehicle makes the cut for the third time, and two V-8s earn trophies in the same year for the first time since 2015.

“I never thought I’d live to see the day when a fuel-cell car and a battery EV would make the list the same year as two burly V-8s and a sophisticated 4-cyl. engine with variable compression,” says Drew Winter, WardsAuto senior content director.

“Automakers and their powertrain engineers are being pushed in different directions: Governments around the world want low emissions and electrification, while customers want vehicles that meet their every need without compromise. We believe this year’s list represents the industry’s ability to deftly satisfy both demands.”

This year’s winners (in alphabetical order by brand):

3.0L (B58) DOHC Turbocharged I-6 (BMW X5)
    6.2L OHV V-8 with DFM (Chevrolet Silverado)
    5.0L DOHC V-8 (Ford Mustang GT/Bullitt)
    3.0L DOHC TurboDiesel V-6 (Ford F-150)
    2.0L DOHC Atkinson i-VTEC 4-Cyl./HEV (Honda Accord Hybrid)
    120-kW Fuel Cell/Electric Propulsion System (Hyundai Nexo)
    150-kW Propulsion System (Hyundai Kona EV)
    2.0L DOHC VC-Turbo 4-Cyl. (Infiniti QX50)
    2.0L DOHC Atkinson 4-Cyl./HEV (Lexus UX 250h)
    3.6L DOHC Pentastar eTorque V-6 (Ram 1500)

Wards Intelligence data confirms falling take-rates for big V-8s, but that doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy a few last hurrahs. And the latest iteration of the 5.0L V-8 in the ’19 Ford Mustang GT – and in particular, the pitch-perfect version in the Bullitt – makes us smile every time we punch the throttle.

We have no complaints with the 460-horse powerplant in the standard GT, but there’s something extra-special about the Bullitt, which breathes through a wider throttle body borrowed from the Shelby GT350 and gets a freer-flowing active exhaust that’s music to an enthusiast’s ears.

On paper, the Bullitt engine picks up a mere 20 hp over the GT, but on the road the Bullitt demonstrates how small changes and careful attention to tuning can bring new life to mature technology and create a whole new level of firepower.

Rest of release can be read at https://www.wardsauto.com/2019-10-b...gines-gasoline-diesel-electrification-honored

w3rkn and Erik427 like this.
  2. Idaho2018GTPremium

Idaho2018GTPremium Active Member

First Name:
    Darrell
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang GT Premium A10 w/ PP1 and MagneRide
    0   0   0
    I'm glad the Gen 3 5.0 is getting additional recognition. It is a top 10 engine IMO. So much modern technology in this engine.

Zinc03svt and ihc95 like this.
  3. Z_Rocks

Z_Rocks Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Import
    0   0   0
    Too bad Ford doesn't offer the "Bullitt" engine package for regular GT to get that extra power included with warranty.

4. w3rkn

w3rkn Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    bmw 135is(sold)
    0   0   0
    Grats to Ford.
    Personally, I think Ford needs to work on their 2.7L V6 turbo....

5. ihc95

ihc95 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 GTPP A10 401A
    0   0   0
    #5 ihc95, Jan 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    The differences between the GT and Bullitt engines are way overblown in the this article. They have identical acceleration times and trap speeds.

brucelinc and Blue Horse like this.
  6. Shifting_Gears

Shifting_Gears Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT
    Ops Management
    0   0   0
    Oh my God. Hold it, a published article about the Gen III Coyote without a single mention of the BBQ death rattle?!?!

upload_2019-1-1_19-30-17.jpeg upload_2019-1-1_19-31-35.gif

TricarboNate and FirstGT like this.
  7. Allentown

Allentown Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Allen
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 GT
    0   0   0
    I assume that Ford will release an official ford "power pack" for the 18 to 19s for the way they did for the 15 to 17s. They have 3 available for the 15 to 17s ranging from 1) tune only, to 2) tune plus CAI and throttle body to a 3) Tune CAI, throttle body and manifold. All fully factory warrantied etc. I am guessing what is on the bullet is a preview of that pack but I am also guessing ford waits until deep into 19 to release it so as not to piss off bullet owners.

I am sort of waiting around for that as my tune and intake deal for my 18 but still debating on that vs a Steeda plus Lund set up.

8. Z_Rocks

Z_Rocks Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Import
    0   0   0
    You are right about the power packs. Or they might include it in the 2020 MY. Beside GT500, let's see what else Ford will show us for 2020.

Allentown likes this.
  9. Mustangpursuit

Mustangpursuit Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Mustang GT/CS 2019
    0   0   0
    I hope that the Bullitt is Level 1, would not be worth it if the new FP pack level 3 tuns out to pretty much be the Bullitt gain....

10. Zooks527

Zooks527 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 KB GT on order / 2015 BMW M235xi / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
    0   0   0
    I'd guess a low take rate for a power pack that gets you no more torque, adds only 20 HP at a speed few will ever approach, and may be tossing fake engine noise in as part of the tune.

11. Ebm

Ebm Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Some Guy
    Vehicle(s):
    GT
    0   0   0
    All the Coyote(and RoadRunner) engine configurations have been outstanding. Really, a top 10 engine since it came out.

Loki-GT likes this.
  12. Allentown

First Name:
    Allen
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 GT
    0   0   0
    True bit with the GT350 intake , throttle body and cai if bet a more aggressive tune than what's on the bullet could yield a bit more...say 490?

I would pay in the neighborhood of $1,000 for 30 fully warranted horsepower and all that engine dress up. Being able to keep the warranty solid while doing my mods is a priority until the car is paid off. If I can't keep the warranty on safe ground I may be limited to suspension and cosmetic mods for the forseeable future of which I'll be close to done with soon anyway.

Loki-GT likes this.
  13. Erik427

Erik427 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    1979 Mustang
    0   0   0
    Needs to be offered in a GT, paired with a A-10 and called the Mach 1.

14. TURTL3

TURTL3 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 LB Mustang 3.7 6MT
    0   0   0
    I say we all celebrate with a BBQ.

15. Allentown

First Name:
    Allen
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 GT
    0   0   0
    Only it it comes factory with staggered tires and 315s in the rear, and louvers would be mandatory, drag mode would be the default when you start up the car and the suspension spring rates and subframe/chasis would have to be a heck of a light tighter than even what is on the PP2. Also, retro styled wheels, cloth seats only and no magna ride or digital dash or driving sensors crap. Maybe another Steeda/Ford partnership deal with steeda suspension heavily featured.

Erik427 likes this.
  16. Mustangpursuit

Mustangpursuit Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Mustang GT/CS 2019
    0   0   0
    I really wanted a 2019 Mach 1 if they came out with it, all i got was my current mustang with a 19 Cobra Jet front end :)

Loki-GT and Allentown like this.
  17. Erik427

Vehicle(s):
    1979 Mustang
    0   0   0
    Seems that Ford underrated the 5.0 as reported by Car Craft. Nearly 500hp with just a open exhaust and 91 octane.
    530+hp with a CAI and E85.

18. Allentown

First Name:
    Allen
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 GT
    0   0   0
    GT350 Manifold. I think the exhaust is same as GT PP. I read some where that the muffler kills more HP than the resonator so I am thinking with my muffler delete and a Steeda CAI and 93 tune i can get close whilest only spending about a grand. (A muffler delete is essentially free).

19. Erik427

Vehicle(s):
    1979 Mustang
    0   0   0
    Remember that this test was done on a engine dyno. No chassis dyno was involved at this time.