BMR TOE LINKS Noise issue

Escobar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
After 1,000-2,000 miles of having them on to fix my inner camber issue, they make this ridiculous knock noise in the rear on both sides... I have been looking through forums and have seen many others have had the same issue.. the noise sounds like someone is knocking under the car on both sides, it happens whenever I’m going below 40 or go over anything little like bumps or I ever roads. I have seen that cleaning them and adding grease could help and also the dust boot that sadly got discountinued lol. Help please the noise makes me want to bash my head on the car lol
Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
After 1,000-2,000 miles of having them on to fix my inner camber issue, they make this ridiculous knock noise in the rear on both sides... I have been looking through forums and have seen many others have had the same issue.. the noise sounds like someone is knocking under the car on both sides, it happens whenever I’m going below 40 or go over anything little like bumps or I ever roads. I have seen that cleaning them and adding grease could help and also the dust boot that sadly got discountinued lol. Help please the noise makes me want to bash my head on the car lol
I feel your pain. I had the same issue with mine.

OP
OP

Escobar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Pull the rod end side off and see if the ball has play. Smallest amount of play in the ball will make a clunking noise.
Pull the rod end side off and see if the ball has play. Smallest amount of play in the ball will make a clunking noise.
I have seen to clean it with WD40 and adding the dust boot from summit racing could help?

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
What did you end up doing? :(
I switched back to the stock toe links. Problem solved. Yeah, I would have liked to keep the BMR ones because the design has some tangible benefits but too much headache.

Hotpart.com

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002, 2006, 2015 Mustangs
I have seen to clean it with WD40 and adding the dust boot from summit racing could help?
You really don't want to use any sort of grease or lube on rod ends. If the ball is loose in the rod end you will need to replace it. I would call BMR and see what they can do for you. If you just want to swap the rod ends out I would switch to the FK brand CFX PTFE lined like what we use. You would need to call BMR to verify what thread and if it's left or right hand threaded if you go the FK route.

http://www.fkrodends.com/products/rod-ends/commercial-industrial/scm-tscf-t-2/

OP
OP

Escobar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I switched back to the stock toe links. Problem solved. Yeah, I would have liked to keep the BMR ones because the design has some tangible benefits but too much headache.
Ahh, have you heard anything good about the steeda ones?

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Steeda also uses the FK brand CFX PTFE. No complaints.

Steeda tech

OP
OP

Escobar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
You really don't want to use any sort of grease or lube on rod ends. If the ball is loose in the rod end you will need to replace it. I would call BMR and see what they can do for you. If you just want to swap the rod ends out I would switch to the FK brand CFX PTFE lined like what we use. You would need to call BMR to verify what thread and if it's left or right hand threaded if you go the FK route.

http://www.fkrodends.com/products/rod-ends/commercial-industrial/scm-tscf-t-2/
Will do so, thank you so much for the advice and help!

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
No but theirs could be a good option. I do know BMR uses some unique engineering in their part which provides a tangible benefit aside from the adjustability. I’d have kept it if the noise wasn’t a problem. I’m kind’ve sad that I ditched it but my ride is quiet! Especially considering all the suspension mods I have it’s very quiet now.

OP
OP

Escobar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
No but theirs could be a good option. I do know BMR uses some unique engineering in their part which provides a tangible benefit aside from the adjustability. I’d have kept it if the noise wasn’t a problem. I’m kind’ve sad that I ditched it but my ride is quiet! Especially considering all the suspension mods I have it’s very quiet now.
Mine is my daily driver, so the noise drives me absolutely crazy lol.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Mine is my daily driver, so the noise drives me absolutely crazy lol.
The toe links themselves don't do much for handling. There is deflection in the stock toe links but not something you'd really notice as a DD. I see the Ford Performance toe-knuckle bearing as a more beneficial mod for handling purposes. The adjustability is what you really lose. The adjustable toe links give way more adjustment than the stock eccentric bolts provide. This can be helpful when really trying to dial in rear camber and toe to your liking.

Mine is a DD as well and it's my only car. The constant clunking was driving me crazy, even so far as taking my good mood/day and ruining it in a matter of seconds. I guess - the idea that I spent so much on this NEW car that sounds like a broken down heap lol. Made me feel like it was a waste. It's so nice having a quiet ride again! I would recommend going back to the stock toe links or asking Steeda about theirs.

If you do go back to stock, remember the stock toe links use eccentric bolts and if you don't have the old ones you'll have to buy them again otherwise you won't be able to adjust them.

Hotpart.com

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002, 2006, 2015 Mustangs