BG Syncro Shift II transmission fluid change question

Hilfloskind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Ecoboost Convertible - Kona Blue
I'm about to change my engine oil and transmission fluid today. I have rhino ramps, which is usually all I use when changing my engine oil instead of jacking up the car on stands. Can you change the tranny fluid using just ramps like the engine oil or is it required to have the car jacked up front and back? I have two jack stands as well, so I could use the ramps along with jack stands if needed. My driveway has a bit of an angle to it, so if I backed onto the Rhino ramps, it would essentially be level to the ground because of the incline of my driveway.

Thanks!
Sponsored

socketman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT / PP
Car should be as level as possible ,use some 2x4's if necessary. Getting the oil in can be a pita, get a little pump to go into the bottle . I use moly slip in my mt82 with the BG oil along with mgw shifter and it works awesome, the stock shifter is pure garbage.

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
My driveway has a bit of an angle to it, so if I backed onto the Rhino ramps, it would essentially be level to the ground because of the incline of my driveway.

Thanks!
You still (probably) won't have enough space to get under the car, so you'll need to jack up both sides accordingly.

OP
OP

Hilfloskind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
I ended up doing the job on Rhino ramps while I did my oil change. I emptied some into the provided cup and filled until it overflowed out of the fill hole, then capped it. There was just a tiny bit left in the bottle, so it appears to have worked out pretty damn close to the factory fill line.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
When filling the tranny, car should be level in BOTH directions. But depending where the fill plug is. If it's in the middle of the tranny lengthwise, the side to side leveling is more important. So you guys are not using the factory fluid? Is it full synthetic? The good thing about manual trannies is they don't take much oil. I think the MT82 is just a little over 2 quarts. I plan to change it way earlier than the 60K recommended for dusty climates. Only 300 miles on the clock at the moment, but will change the oil for the first time at 1K miles with M1 0/30 and stock filter. Then every 5K. Hope to avoid the dreaded engine 'tick' :D.

OP
OP

Hilfloskind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
When filling the tranny, car should be level in BOTH directions. But depending where the fill plug is. If it's in the middle of the tranny lengthwise, the side to side leveling is more important. So you guys are not using the factory fluid? Is it full synthetic? The good thing about manual trannies is they don't take much oil. I think the MT82 is just a little over 2 quarts. I plan to change it way earlier than the 60K recommended for dusty climates. Only 300 miles on the clock at the moment, but will change the oil for the first time at 1K miles with M1 0/30 and stock filter. Then every 5K. Hope to avoid the dreaded engine 'tick' :D.
Interestingly, the instructions from @Optimum Performance said jack stands or ramps are OK for the job. In my case, I used ramps. Although ramps would usually leave one end of the car higher than the other, my driveway angle ends up making the car fairly level to the ground when it's on the ramps. In either case, I emptied out the extra fluid into the provided cup and pumped until it started pulling air, tipped the bottle and continued pumping a little more until it started to overflow from the fill hole. Once that happened, I capped it off. When I checked the bottle of BG, there was just a small bit of fluid left inside so I assume I ended getting pretty close to the exact factory fill level...I hope.
Sponsored