Sponsored

MT-82 fluid change

BCeagle08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT DIB PP 6MT Navi 401A.
I use mine on race tracks and when it breaks Ford will replace it because I follow the owners manual and it's under warranty and I have found no fluid that exactly meets Ford's Spec :D
Lol absolutely not. It even says right in that section that's just what they recommend for the best chance of not exploding your drive train and that doing those procedures won't save you from not being covered under warranty.

Yes, dealer relations go a long way, but in the end when it's a major repair the dealer has to get permission from Ford to make the repair under warranty. It's not up to the dealer, but having a good relationship will cause the dealer to fight harder for you.'

My friend blew the engine on his 2011 GT after many many many track days. He went in for warranty work and Ford sent him a huge packet of all the social media posts and pictures they found of him driving his car on track days. Warranty denied.
Sponsored

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
Lol absolutely not. It even says right in that section that's just what they recommend for the best chance of not exploding your drive train and that doing those procedures won't save you from not being covered under warranty.

Yes, dealer relations go a long way, but in the end when it's a major repair the dealer has to get permission from Ford to make the repair under warranty. It's not up to the dealer, but having a good relationship will cause the dealer to fight harder for you.'

My friend blew the engine on his 2011 GT after many many many track days. He went in for warranty work and Ford sent him a huge packet of all the social media posts and pictures they found of him driving his car on track days. Warranty denied.

Show me his post's and his bill. Otherwise don't spread rumors based on unsubstantiated hearsay.

Walt1120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP 50th Anniversary
If you have a good dealership relationship it shouldn't matter what fluid is in there anyway, unless their sending the unit back to ford intact.

I went with amsoil because I know its a better fluid and its gonna offer better protection at higher temps than the stock stuff. The Mt82 wasnt designed to use DCT fluid, but its the only fluid ford had on hand that seem to work well. Thats not good enough for me, I wouldnt have an issue keeping the stock fluid if the trans was designed to use it from the beginning or if the fluid was made specifically for the trans. But in this case the MT82 originally came in the mustang with 75w-90 which was probably spec'd from the engineers, but complaints of cold weather issues caused them to switch to DCT which is alot thinner. Its almost like you need to settle for the lesser of two evils. Amsoil, Motul, Redline, royal purple etc are all going to offer good performance in cold temps and still offer great protection at high temps. Besides warranty fears there really is no benefit of keeping the stock fluid, in my opinion at least

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
I don't intend to but just as my friend lost his motor in his Boss, a track day only car and Ford replaced the engine under warranty, I intend to operate my car with in the guidelines and when it breaks warranty that came with my car will repair it. It's not a hard concept.

Sponsored

Walt1120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't intend to but just as my friend lost his motor in his Boss, a track day only car and Ford replaced the engine under warranty, I intend to operate my car with in the guidelines and when it breaks warranty that came with my car will repair it. It's not a hard concept.
Breaking things at the track and getting them replaced under warranty can be very tricky, you seem confident that it wont be an issue. I really hope that if it did happen you'll get your stuff fixed under warranty but I wouldn't assume it. Ford knows very well that some people beat the crap out of their mustangs and just because its under warranty and you follow the owners manual, it doesn't mean they will fix it for free if its obviously damaged due to the track use. They usually have their techs look for signs of abuse and will have no problem instantly voiding your warranty if they do. One downside of having a pony car around for 50 years is that they know legit problems from the BS. People dont just blow up transmissions or axle shafts from driving normally. Thats where your friends in the service department come in

Renner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT SOLD-2015 Ecoboost SOLD
Went to go change my trans fluid and takes pics for this thread when I noticed it looks like I may have a leak...very sticky fluid on the dark spot on the trans...thinking I should take this to dealer have them check it out before I waste $50 in Royal Purple trans fluid. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Walt1120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Very sticky...could be sealant though
Id make sure the bolts are torqued to spec and then wipe it clean and check in a few days. I had some slight discoloration at that spot on mine and I only had 1000miles when I changed my fluid. Yours is much more noticeable but thats also a low spot on the trans so it could just be the natural spot for any kind of leftover junk around that whole seal to accumulate at

I feel like ive seen that on pics of other mt82's before though

Does it show up brown or black on a paper towel?

Sponsored

Renner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Id make sure the bolts are torqued to spec and then wipe it clean and check in a few days. I had some slight discoloration at that spot on mine and I only had 1000miles when I changed my fluid. Yours is much more noticeable but thats also a low spot on the trans so it could just be the natural spot for any kind of leftover junk around that whole seal to accumulate at

I feel like ive seen that on pics of other mt82's before though

Does it show up brown or black on a paper towel?
I cleaned it all off and will check in a couple days. Based on some research it seems to be sealant. It didn't smell like gear oil which is VERY distinct.

Rypkr937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Coyote Premium
Breaking things at the track and getting them replaced under warranty can be very tricky, you seem confident that it wont be an issue. I really hope that if it did happen you'll get your stuff fixed under warranty but I wouldn't assume it. Ford knows very well that some people beat the crap out of their mustangs and just because its under warranty and you follow the owners manual, it doesn't mean they will fix it for free if its obviously damaged due to the track use. They usually have their techs look for signs of abuse and will have no problem instantly voiding your warranty if they do. One downside of having a pony car around for 50 years is that they know legit problems from the BS. People dont just blow up transmissions or axle shafts from driving normally. Thats where your friends in the service department come in
I'm curious... how could Ford possibly prove you car broke at the track? You seem to be saying that Ford can void your warranty if there are signs that you've been abusive to your car. Does it say that in the warranty somewhere?

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
I cleaned it all off and will check in a couple days. Based on some research it seems to be sealant. It didn't smell like gear oil which is VERY distinct.

Trans gear doesn't smell like gear oil. It's not, In fact, gear oil.

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
I'm curious... how could Ford possibly prove you car broke at the track? You seem to be saying that Ford can void your warranty if there are signs that you've been abusive to your car. Does it say that in the warranty somewhere?

It's harder for them to do. I've seen them deny when people did something stupid like show up with the numbers still on windshield, slicks still on and rubber coating the fender wells and fenders. Heard of it happening when a dealership employee was at the track and saw it. Many years ago rumors abounded that ford had people at tracks logging vin's. Never proved or disproved that one. But at the time we would tape up our vin's so they couldn't see it. Some people are honest and tell them they did.

And yes, the warranty specifically excludes repairs due to breakage when racing. In fine print, somewhere, it even defines what, exactly, is racing.

Renner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Trans gear doesn't smell like gear oil. It's not, In fact, gear oil.
Yes true, my mistake. But I will tell you what my trans fluid smelled like when it came out is nothing like what this sealant/whatever it is smells like. That trans fluid stunk to high hell
Sponsored