Sponsored

*HOW TO: Change Manual Transmission Fluid* (Video)

MagneticGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
It's actually a half inch below the filler hole. Right out of the 2015 Owners Manual:

"For vehicles with a the I4 or V6 engine, the correct manual transmission fill level is at the lower edge of the filler hole. For vehicles equipped with a V8 engine, the correct manual transmission fill level is 1/2 inch (1.3 cm) below the edge of the filler hole."​

It would probably be a good idea to stick to the Ford recommendations. :thumbsup:

So the whole measure, eighth inch below fill line stuff is not necessary? Just go until it seeps out the fill hole?
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Id say it was weird that you had a different result, but that seems to be normal with this transmission.
Yeah, I think it varies a lot because of manufacturing tolerances, etc.. I think the only thing that will be noticeable to everyone, and even that may just be a small amount to some, is that the syncros perform better, especially when cold.

I got a very good MT82 in my S550 compared to a mediocre one in my S197 and all I can feel is the syncros working better and not much better once warmed up. Of course you can't feel some improvements to the lifespan of the parts.

I'm glad I did it.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Did I hear correctly in the video that you just used ramps? Did you only have the front end elevated or was the rear on jack stands? I've heard others say the car needs to be level to do this fluid change. :shrug:
Well it needs to be level to use the documented test for proper fill level. But if you know how the tilt effects that, no problem unless the car is so tilted it starts running out at half full. LoL

OP
OP
Seatown Stang

Seatown Stang

HereWeGo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Did I hear correctly in the video that you just used ramps? Did you only have the front end elevated or was the rear on jack stands? I've heard others say the car needs to be level to do this fluid change. :shrug:
Nope, I used jack stands in the front set to the lowest height. This should be fine, since the height is still pretty level. If you are worried about it you could choose to lower the car and pump the fluid in from inside the car(remove the shifter bezel and feed the line into the fill hole. I could not do this because I have an aftermarket shortthrow and that area is fully closed off with dynamat.

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
It's actually a half inch below the filler hole. Right out of the 2015 Owners Manual:

"For vehicles with a the I4 or V6 engine, the correct manual transmission fill level is at the lower edge of the filler hole. For vehicles equipped with a V8 engine, the correct manual transmission fill level is 1/2 inch (1.3 cm) below the edge of the filler hole."​

It would probably be a good idea to stick to the Ford recommendations. :thumbsup:

Agreed - I did mine this past weekend (put it up on jackstands) and replaces with 3qts of Royal Purple, even with just under 3qts (pump stick did not get all the way to the bottom of the last bottle) it did not "run out the fill hole".

Now I am not sure how you would know its 1/2" below the filler hole without some sort of camera/dip stick. :headbonk: I just went by volume.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Seatown Stang

Seatown Stang

HereWeGo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Agreed - I did mine this past weekend (put it up on jackstands) and replaces with 3qts of Royal Purple, even with just under 3qts (pump stick did not get all the way to the bottom of the last bottle) it did not "run out the fill hole".

Now I am not sure how you would know its 1/2" below the filler hole without some sort of camera/dip stick. :headbonk: I just went by volume.

What was the outcome? You notice a difference?

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
Seatown - it makes a (IMHO) big difference, MUCH less notchy especially when cold. Smoother when warm - Its another one of those "Why did Ford cheap out" on the tranny fluid, is a full synthetic THAT much more than the dino they use?

Its an easy fix on jack stands, and would be simple with a lift - go do it.

Tribefan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Does the fluid help quiet down the whining of the transmission at all?

OP
OP
Seatown Stang

Seatown Stang

HereWeGo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Does the fluid help quiet down the whining of the transmission at all?
Yep it does make a difference. It doesn't completely eliminated however.

Sponsored

jimmybuffit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP 50th Year
I used the same stuff and found a major difference. It was really worth doing. Thanks for the vid

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
So I just changed the Tranny fluid and I noticed that it took all 3 Quarts. I was surprised that it didn't start overflowing after the proper amount was reached.

Has anyone had this happen on their MT-82 equipped cars?

I'm about to take out 8 ounces...

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
So I just changed the Tranny fluid and I noticed that it took all 3 Quarts. I was surprised that it didn't start overflowing after the proper amount was reached.

Has anyone had this happen on their MT-82 equipped cars?

I'm about to take out 8 ounces...
yep, mine took 3qts of MT-85 too, on a level surface, with no bleed out of the fill hole. i wouldn't worry.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
yep, mine took 3qts of MT-85 too, on a level surface, with no bleed out of the fill hole. i wouldn't worry.
Thanks! I was a little worried with the possibility of foaming.

Let me pick your brain a little bit though...

Everywhere I look (especially the manual) states 2.7 qt. The difference being roughly 8 oz.
I see that you participate in motorsport events, do you change your fluids frequently?
Have you noticed evidence of fluid breakdown? Burnt smell?

Thanks again for your help, I'm just trying to gather more info on this.
Capacities & Specifications.jpg

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
Thanks! I was a little worried with the possibility of foaming.

Let me pick your brain a little bit though...

Everywhere I look (especially the manual) states 2.7 qt. The difference being roughly 8 oz.
I see that you participate in motorsport events, do you change your fluids frequently?
Have you noticed evidence of fluid breakdown? Burnt smell?

Thanks again for your help, I'm just trying to gather more info on this.
yep, 2.7qt was my understanding too. in contrast to the transmission, there is little tolerance for overfill in the diff - made that mistake once and ended up with unexpected reduced grip on the RR at an event. became pretty obvious why when i saw fluid coating the wheel well!

i change and test all my fluids frequently. surprisingly, transmission rarely shows any breakdown/contamination. the same can't be said for my engine, diff and brakes!
Sponsored