Beware the washed out roads. Not good. šŸ˜ž

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
I think thatā€™s about right. 70% ish. Also need to check the oil pan/starter/transmission/ shocks and towers, etc and other underbody parts.

I just donā€™t see it costing 20k. I hope that Iā€™m wrong.
In my experience, insurance companies will total a car when the cost of the repairs is greater than the payout minus the salvage value. If the car has a high salvage value, you can get totaled even with less than 70% repair costs.
Sponsored

Hoofer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Boz
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Vert, PP1, MagneRide, ActiveExhaust, B&O
OP, don't listen to all the ones that are the perfect pilot when hidden after a keyboard.
Can happen to anyone, fix the car and learn to live another day.
^+100%, we'll stated.

And to those who emphatically say, "This would never, ever, happen to me because I'm a perfect driver", I say, "Karmas a bitch".

OP, hope everything works out in your favor.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
^+100%, we'll stated.

And to those who emphatically say, "This would never, ever, happen to me because I'm a perfect driver", I say, "Karmas a bitch".
Not one person replying here has claimed to be a "perfect driver".

Stop virtue signaling.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
^+100%, we'll stated.

OP, hope everything works out in your favor.
What is claimed, aka speed and such don't jive with what some that drive on dirt a lot for decades have experienced. No one is claiming to be a perfect driver, but with age comes wisdom, with decades on dirt, comes being able to smell tall tales.
I hope it works out for him, and the county foots the bill. but
You don't drive on a road you don't know without your eyes peeled on it, and at a blind corner or cresting a incline you'd be going slow, and at 20 mph, the car if he stomped on the brakes would have slowed enough to have the nose on the pipe IN the hole, not across it. common sense tells ya if ya can't see ahead of you and don't know the road you slow down .
No one is claiming to be perfect, and everyone hopes it works out for him. but be a straight shooter.

Last edited:

Sponsored

2016S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping
Best case scenario it will be determined that there is a civil case against the County. That really stinks but in the end your physical well being is the only thing that matters. Insurance will repair or replace the car, good luck!

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
.... and here the keyboard warriors comes: in Italy we use to say "la prima gallina che canta ĆØ quella cha ha fatto l'uovo".
Translated: "the first hen that squawk is the one that laid the egg".

Don't need no explaining right?

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Oooooooh s#@$ son!!!! I missed the Menominee part!!!!

You're barely......juuuuuuuuuuust barely a Yooper!!!!:cwl::cwl::cwl:
yeah... less than a mile across a bridge.. LOL...

OP
OP
15GTPPinCO

15GTPPinCO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP 6M
What is claimed, aka speed and such don't jive with what some that drive on dirt a lot for decades have experienced. No one is claiming to be a perfect driver, but with age comes wisdom, with decades on dirt, comes being able to smell tall tales.
I hope it works out for him, and the county foots the bill. but
You don't drive on a road you don't know without your eyes peeled on it, and at a blind corner or cresting a incline you'd be going slow, and at 20 mph, the car if he stomped on the brakes would have slowed enough to have the nose on the pipe IN the hole, not across it. common sense tells ya if ya can't see ahead of you and don't know the road you slow down .
No one is claiming to be perfect, and everyone hopes it works out for him. but be a straight shooter.
I have literal decades of experience on dirt roads. I was born in MI and have just returned to the UP (50 miles from the crash site).

I used to jump my F150 in my 20's, and in my experience, that front engine (5.4L) comes down HARD and FIRST. I have no idea how it spanned the culvert like that, but I will say that after a lot of driving, in a lot of states, I have NEVER NEVER NEVER seen a washed out road with no signage, barricades, lights, paint, warnings, etc. I have seen washed out roads in AZ, CO, CA, etc, but they were always marked to the max.

Sheriff who responded said that I was lucky that I wasn't in a SXS or a quad/dirtbike. That's obviously a popular area for them, and I could have been picking river rocks out of my teeth for days, assuming that I didn't break my neck.

Claim filed, police report obtained, working on contacting the county now.

Thanks for the well-wishes, I am still pretty sore!

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
I have literal decades of experience on dirt roads. I was born in MI and have just returned to the UP (50 miles from the crash site).

I used to jump my F150 in my 20's, and in my experience, that front engine (5.4L) comes down HARD and FIRST. I have no idea how it spanned the culvert like that, but I will say that after a lot of driving, in a lot of states, I have NEVER NEVER NEVER seen a washed out road with no signage, barricades, lights, paint, warnings, etc. I have seen washed out roads in AZ, CO, CA, etc, but they were always marked to the max.

Sheriff who responded said that I was lucky that I wasn't in a SXS or a quad/dirtbike. That's obviously a popular area for them, and I could have been picking river rocks out of my teeth for days, assuming that I didn't break my neck.

Someone has to see it ,find it first before anyone puts up any type of warnings, seems you won that prize.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
If you look at the photo it is easy to figure out why it spanned the washout.

When he entered the nose dropped, it then hit the culvert which launched the front up, then the front hit the other side and stopped.

This can very easily have happened at 20 MPH.

Sorry for your luck OP. Hopefully the county will cover the damages.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

I lived in Houghton for 5 years (2005-2010). When WRC used to go through the UP, we would always run the stages as the spotter car. The ruts we blasted through in a ragged out VW rabbit would blow your mind. Then to see a 300 HP STI or EVO come blowing through the same ruts and traverse it like it was nothing was an absolute blast to watch. The golden days of rally in my opinion.

Long way of saying, I am not shocked this happened to you. You were just the spotter on that road. Glad you are okay, and enjoy the UP, beautiful country for sure!

OP
OP
15GTPPinCO

15GTPPinCO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP 6M
If you look at the photo it is easy to figure out why it spanned the washout.

When he entered the nose dropped, it then hit the culvert which launched the front up, then the front hit the other side and stopped.

This can very easily have happened at 20 MPH.

Sorry for your luck OP. Hopefully the county will cover the damages.
I am guessing that this is what happened, and I hope that it is.

Total it out vs waiting 3+ months for parts and labor, paint, blah blah. I personally don't think that I could have spanned the ditch, even if I was going 50+ MPH.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I lived in Houghton for 5 years (2005-2010). When WRC used to go through the UP, we would always run the stages as the spotter car. The ruts we blasted through in a ragged out VW rabbit would blow your mind. Then to see a 300 HP STI or EVO come blowing through the same ruts and traverse it like it was nothing was an absolute blast to watch. The golden days of rally in my opinion.

Long way of saying, I am not shocked this happened to you. You were just the spotter on that road. Glad you are okay, and enjoy the UP, beautiful country for sure!
I've been to several driving events in the TN/NC/KY mountains and I NEVER ride at the front of the pack. We are in constant communication via Walkie Talkies approx 20 cars in a group. There is always a few "turkey on the road coming up" "tree down, watch for branches" etc...

OP
OP
15GTPPinCO

15GTPPinCO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP 6M
Pop the hood and look at the top of the rad support as well as the L & R upper frame to firewall inner fender structure. Does either side have any bends/tweaks?

Look at the base of the strut towers and follow the frame rail from the base back to the rad support - is either side bent upwards or show any kinks in the metal?

Look at bottom of rad support is it pushed upwards?
I took the flashlight out to check things out today, and aside from a ton of plastic crap that's falling off, all of these spots "look" ok to the naked eye. The AC condenser is toast, rad is toast, both wheel wells, lower front bumper, fogs, grille, lights are prob toast, rear wheel liners, rear bumper cover and reverse light, exhaust, windshield wiper reservoir, prob more AC parts and then each fender has some damage to the metal, although it's "minor".

It's really hard to see under the car for me to see that much more. It looks like it has only leaked some refrigerant when I left it sit for a couple days.

IMHO it needs to go on some sort of jig to really see what might be damaged in the frame/suspension. Not like I can control what's already broken.

Fuel door works! truck opens/closes, and there are no CEL lights, so ya know, that's good. :)
Sponsored