Better late than never, I hope

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
There’s no issue’s using the oem cf wheels on the street and repairs aren’t difficult either. That said, if someone is prone to curbing wheels then I completely agree with swapping them out. But then again if that’s the case there’s no reason to drive anything nice.

To the op, stunning car. My favorite color on these cars both the 350 and 500.

Very cool car, love that color!

Honestly, I would buy some light weight aluminum wheels like Apex for it.

Those CF wheels, I wouldn't use them on the street, repairs seem like a giant pita. And the things are not cheap, but man they look awesome!

Enjoy the ride!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
There’s no issue’s using the oem cf wheels on the street and repairs aren’t difficult either. That said, if someone is prone to curbing wheels then I completely agree with swapping them out. But then again if that’s the case there’s no reason to drive anything nice.

To the op, stunning car. My favorite color on these cars both the 350 and 500.
Yes, the aluminum wheel scare was for when repair options were not as many. Major damage can easily be repaired and the examples I showcased were some pretty careless examples of curbing. Anyone who cares about their cars like we do will probably not see that kind of damage.

Furthermore, what do people think will happen when a high priced forged wheel is damaged or curbed? A light scrape can be repaired and touched up, but it will never be the same or look right. That happened to me once with my forged aluminum wheels. I was told I could get it powdercoated or buy a brand new wheel. Well, the re-powder coat wound up looking like crap. And that was gloss black. Try to match one of those exotic colors. Ain't happening.

I have a front CF wheel that I bought off ebay a while back that I plan to do a major repair on. It isn't pretty. I'll be using a 3D printer to fabricate molds for reconstruction. If that kind of damage happened to a forged aluminum wheel, it would go in the garbage can. This CF wheel will be saved and look about as close to new when I am done with it.

I guess I need to start selling these wheels I keep repairing.......

OP,

Don't bother with aluminum. Use your CF wheels

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Yes, the aluminum wheel scare was for when repair options were not as many. Major damage can easily be repaired and the examples I showcased were some pretty careless examples of curbing. Anyone who cares about their cars like we do will probably not see that kind of damage.

Furthermore, what do people think will happen when a high priced forged wheel is damaged or curbed? A light scrape can be repaired and touched up, but it will never be the same or look right. That happened to me once with my forged aluminum wheels. I was told I could get it powdercoated or buy a brand new wheel. Well, the re-powder coat wound up looking like crap. And that was gloss black. Try to match one of those exotic colors. Ain't happening.

I have a front CF wheel that I bought off ebay a while back that I plan to do a major repair on. It isn't pretty. I'll be using a 3D printer to fabricate molds for reconstruction. If that kind of damage happened to a forged aluminum wheel, it would go in the garbage can. This CF wheel will be saved and look about as close to new when I am done with it.

OP,

LOL, Your write up on how to fix a CF wheel is a novel.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/how-to-repair-exposed-carbon-fiber-wheels.165033/

Some folks don't want to mess with all that. Which is why aluminum rims were suggested. It's cheap insurance so a CFTP 500 owner doesn't have to learn everything in your write up.

If I had years and year of resins/composites background, was very handy, and had the time, your write up would likely be the route I would go. Most importantly is the time. OP said his kids are still around (I am guessing somewhere between 9 and 16 based on his reference to the GT350R and the back seat), which I assume means he still is running kids around, involved in extra-curriculars, etc... and not to mention he might lend them the car.

Replica's, IMO, would be cheap insurance in his case.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
LOL, Your write up on how to fix a CF wheel is a novel.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/how-to-repair-exposed-carbon-fiber-wheels.165033/

Some folks don't want to mess with all that. Which is why aluminum rims were suggested. It's cheap insurance so a CFTP 500 owner doesn't have to learn everything in your write up.

If I had years and year of resins/composites background, was very handy, and had the time, your write up would likely be the route I would go. Most importantly is the time. OP said his kids are still around (I am guessing somewhere between 9 and 16 based on his reference to the GT350R and the back seat), which I assume means he still is running kids around, involved in extra-curriculars, etc... and not to mention he might lend them the car.

Replica's, IMO, would be cheap insurance in his case.
Yes, it is quite simple. But many such as yourselves and those who have zero ability probably can't do it.

If you dont want to fix them yourself, then send them off for repair.

That's why we all went to college, have good paying jobs, right?

Or you can curb an aluminum wheel and go buy a new one or try to have it repaired and repowdercoated. Lol, been there done that.

Your choice. IMHO, the "oh my God, $9k for a replacement CF wheel" scare is over.

Sponsored

Caustic Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 1965 Sunbeam Mk-1A, Kirkham 289 FIA
Very nice car, indeed. What is the story on the project fastback you have in the background? Enquiring minds want to know!:like:

OP
OP

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Very nice car, indeed. What is the story on the project fastback you have in the background? Enquiring minds want to know!:like:

It's been in the family since it was new. It's taken awhile to restore. Below are some pictures through the years with the various garage mates it has had. First picture is me, I'm now 2 years older than my grandfather was in that picture.

Me Mom Gpop 9-5-67  190.jpg

65 and 82 GT 621.jpg

must513012.jpg

DSCN0151_1.jpg

Shelbeast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RAJ
Vehicle(s)
GT500, MME-GT, BMW X-1

OP,

Agree, I saved your video to repair my CF before I sale them from my 500. I am pretty happy with my forged repairs using sandpaper and polish.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Agree, I saved your video to repair my CF before I sale them from my 500. I am pretty happy with my forged repairs using sandpaper and polish.
Agreed. To each their own. It's a personal decision. But I say again, it's easy work and if the car came with CF, it's a shame people are afraid to use them.

OP
OP

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Spent yesterday on the car.

1) Washing the car. Car most likely has some ceramic coating where the PPF isn't, or maybe also on top of the PPF as well. Dirt just ran right off the car.

How does one resist the urge to remove all four wheels at each washing to clean the back barrel of the wheels? Since I know I'm going to do it often, what's the choice of lug nuts that can handle being removed without falling apart?

2) Car had an annoying feature that Sirius stopped working after the car was shut off for brief periods. Looking at the audio forum here, a few said the problem went away with a sync update. I did that with a thumb stick because I didn't want to plug my modem fuse back in. We will see if it fixes the Sirius problem.

3) I didn't buy this car for the audio, but wow does it suck. I tried surround mode as that supposedly lowers or possibly even turns of the ghastly center speaker. Didn't like how that sounded so I unplugged it and went back to stereo mode. Now it's marginally acceptable. Terrible this "B&O" system sounds worse than the non upgraded stereo in my 2018 F-150.

4) This car is low. The jack I've had for 24 years that fit under my GT350 fine, doesn't go under the side skirts. I need to head out for a jack today.

5) Car had Jaeger Bros front guards, one had spun and was all chewed up. Had to take it off. Anyone know how to buy just one?

rp930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500, 2019 Ranger, 2015 MB GLK250
This car has a sound system? Who knew. I thought all the sound came from the 4 tailpipes.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Lol. I get a kick out of people dogging on modern stereo’s. They’ve obviously never heard the stuff back in the 80’s and 90’s from the factory.

This car has a sound system? Who knew. I thought all the sound came from the 4 tailpipes.

OP
OP

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Lol. I get a kick out of people dogging on modern stereo’s. They’ve obviously never heard the stuff back in the 80’s and 90’s from the factory.

I hear you both, but there are times that one wants to listen to some tunes. And while factory stereos have always been pretty abysmal, they weren't part of a 3K package.

And. like I said, my F150 system is better. If my memory serves the ancient Mach 460 systems in my SN95s were better.

The 65 in my earlier pictures had some good tunes back in the 80s, I finally tracked down the parts to put that system back together as it was then for when the car is done.

IMG_4522.jpg

IMG_4528.jpg
Sponsored