Sponsored

Best tune

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
My son has a 2017 GT PP with GT350 CAI and throttlebody and Ford Racing tune. It recently threw a CEL. Based on the two error codes I suspected the charge motion control plates. The dealer went through an unbelievably thorough diagnostic process, including checking coils, compression, fuel pressure under load, and a bunch of other stuff. Of note on the invoice; "tune not recognized by....(whatever their normal reader is called). Connected XXX (an aftermarket tune reader). Car has aftermarket tune." After several more steps they wrote "aftermarket tune not responsible for fault." Further on it states, "fuel checked for ethanol. No ethanol found." In the end they confirmed it was the plates and replaced the intake manifold.
A few days ago I had my Shelby in to replace a rocker panel they had damaged during an oil change. The service writer is cool. He has a 2018 GT and mentioned he'd like to get a tune. I casually mentioned that the Shelbys can be tuned for flex fuel and asked what he thought about e85. He said he had no problem with it, as long as it is properly tuned. What they DID have a problem with is some idiot who brought his car in complaining of driveability problems. He failed to mention that he filled the tank with e85 and expected it to run fine with no tune. Not knowing that the dealer ran it through the same exhaustive diagnostic process.
Sponsored

17RubyShelbyGT350

First Ford - First Shelby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350-Conven Pkg - 1st Perf Mods Done
Best Tune?

Not surprised to see so many responses and sources for "best tune." And I am sure all the tuners and known "canned tunes" are just fine.

But I wanted something else. I wanted to be part of the process where I could personally watch an extremely highly regarded tuner work his magic on my particular car. And I was fortunate to find this tuner not so far from me in Jacksonville, Fla. Steve Mason (Masonengineering) worked with the Shelby IMSA Team, has done several street/track Shelbys, along with Ferrari's, Porsche, Lambo, etc. Took me 4 weeks to get a tuning appointment with him. He is in demand and travels a lot for race teams. He uses a 4 wheel Dynographics Dyno - an eddy current machine which really affords him to fully explore a comprehensive tune.

In preparation for the tune, I put my car on a local Dynojet which was "said" to run "conservative numbers." Results on my 1100 mile car were 447 h/p and 364 torque - incidentally very close to VMP's dyno number on their stock GT350 before tuning.

He did my tune a few weeks before the 24 hour Daytona event (he was there providing support to a Team's Audi's and Lambo for the 4 hour Continental Race Friday night). His shop was like a dream toy shop replete with Porsche GT3, 458 Italia, variety of BMWs, etc.

We installed my only mod - a JLT intake. My requests to him: (1) reduce what I called a "lazy throttle response - probably more bothersome to me because I was used to the Corvette small block low rpm torque. I know what the VooDoo is, but thought more could be gotten at a bit lower revs. (2) Try to determine what actual contributions the JLT intake was making; and (3) whatever h/p and torque he could safely add.

And it was a treat for me... To watch him over a period of about 4 hours, and lots of pulls, create something for MY car. The results were solid, as evidenced by re-running my car on the same dynojet near home under virtually identical atmospheric conditions. New results showed 476 h/p, 395 torque, with torque coming in higher and a few hundred RPM earlier than before. Car now had about 1,350 miles on it.

Also, of some interest, Steve said he observed the JLT making about a 7-9 h/p difference.

For additional grins. I went to another Dynojet about 50 miles further away, again, similar atmospheric conditions, and recorded 482 h/p and 401 torque.

All on 93 octane. Don't want to deal with e85, so playing with 100 octane, and feel the car is stronger yet again - as would be expected.

I am told that the drivetrain losses are factored in at somewhere between 12 and 15 percent.

Again, just my personal choice and experience - lots of sources for tunes as evidenced in this thread.

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Why do you not want to "deal with e85?" Alcohol is an all around superior fuel.

17RubyShelbyGT350

First Ford - First Shelby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350-Conven Pkg - 1st Perf Mods Done
Why?

E85 is 50 times more hydroscopic than gas. I live in Florida, gets kinda hot and humid here several months a year, even in North Florida. Sometimes the toy does not get driven a lot.

Adds up to = not worth the potential problems when a tank of 100 octane does quite nicely for the limited time I drive the car.

Sponsored

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
E85 is 50 times more hydroscopic than gas. I live in Florida, gets kinda hot and humid here several months a year, even in North Florida. Sometimes the toy does not get driven a lot.

Adds up to = not worth the potential problems when a tank of 100 octane does quite nicely for the limited time I drive the car.
I hear you. Mine is a DD in semi-arid central California where 91 octane reigns supreme.

Stoked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Focus RS/2016 GT350/2002 Audi A4
Had a half tank of E85 and 93...Added 1/2 tank of E100.

Alc. Level is 85%. Car runs smooth, pulls GREAT. I'll send datalogs to Lund to see what's going on, A/F looks good as well.

Next 2 tanks or so I'll go back to 91 or 93 to keep everything clean, its just hard to justify the 4 dollars a gallon for 93 in my area (7 for 101 race gas!) Or even 2.80 a gallon for 91 VS the 2.13 a gallon E100 runs...Afterall the car only gets 17 to 18 mpg on average lol

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Multiple makers of these tunes are showing significant torque gains in the 3-3.5k rpm range. Have people who have dyno’d their cars after with a tune alone seen these low end torque gains?

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Although butt dynos are notoriously inaccurate, in this case the difference is of such a degree that you don't need to spend $200 to confirm the obvious. Certainly compared to the 91 I would otherwise be relegated to.

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
We love E85 here in michigan and its pretty easy to find and especially with the pain at the pumps lately even 87 octane has risen to about $3.20 per gallon while premium is just at the border of $4.00 per gallon

Sponsored

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
We love E85 here in michigan and its pretty easy to find and especially with the pain at the pumps lately even 87 octane has risen to about $3.20 per gallon while premium is just at the border of $4.00 per gallon
Are you guys doing flex fuel tunes for GT350? There was a lot of discussion about this a couple years ago when Lund came out with his but I don't see it on your website.

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
Are you guys doing flex fuel tunes for GT350? There was a lot of discussion about this a couple years ago when Lund came out with his but I don't see it on your website.
Yes sir we can do that no problem! :cheers:

Don's Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500. 2018 C63S

Since you live in Florida I would contact VMP They are fairly local to you, and they have always given me awesome customer service. Unlike some other big name tuners they will actually answer the phone.

lisandra

mama smurf
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
lisandra
Vehicle(s)
ecoboost PP non premium
510 whp comes to about 590 brake!!! Thats mind blowing!!!

Doskiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R
510 whp comes to about 590 brake!!! Thats mind blowing!!!
Hey Lisandra ....... used to see ya in the Ecoboost forum ........... Contemplating a GT350? ........... ;-)
Sponsored