Beloved prop rod gone?

Jerry Carguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2021 California Special Black exterior
Whatcha think, did Ford finally switch to struts and ditch the old school rod?
Sponsored

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
I'm laffin @ "old school" prop rod. Old school is tension springs compressing the hood hinges to lift the hood, and the hinges were built with enough internal friction to hold most any position between closed and open. They never wear out. Always thought the prop rod was a step backward.

Unless struts have been improved over the years, eventually they leak enough gas not to work after a while. Struts have been on deck lids about as long as hood prop rods. Deck lids used to have torsion springs. They essentially never wear out. All those hoods and deck lids still work on Gen 1s with their original 58 year old springs.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Love my prop rod. It's simple and It works. Lazyness is a plague and it's been spreading badly over the past 30 years.

Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Love my prop rod. It's simple and It works. Lazyness is a plague and it's been spreading badly over the past 30 years.
I wouldn't go as far as to call it laziness, but I also love mine. After dealing with hood strut failures and a hood coming down onto my head, I'll take the rod.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I'm laffin @ "old school" prop rod. Old school is tension springs compressing the hood hinges to lift the hood, and the hinges were built with enough internal friction to hold most any position between closed and open. They never wear out. Always thought the prop rod was a step backward.

Unless struts have been improved over the years, eventually they leak enough gas not to work after a while. Struts have been on deck lids about as long as hood prop rods. Deck lids used to have torsion springs. They essentially never wear out. All those hoods and deck lids still work on Gen 1s with their original 58 year old springs.
^^^ agree with the above 100%. The front hood and rear trunk lid should be set up on those tension springs - because of that fact that they would never degrade or wear out. Many pre-80's cars had those type of lift springs.

The 79-93 Fox Mustang convertibles had those type of springs for the trunk lids and IIRC I think the coupe had a similar tension design. The trunk lid would never droop or drop at all... and no need to replace shitty hydraulic mini-lift shocks...

Last edited:

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
Hood struts was the first mod I did, but I never removed the prop rod. Struts fail all the time. Itā€™s nice to have back up when you need it.
I got my struts after going to a car show on windy day.a gust of wind lifted the hood next to me hood fell and was dented as well as fender.so I got somecstrutds

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I got my struts after going to a car show on windy day.a gust of wind lifted the hood next to me hood fell and was dented as well as fender.so I got somecstrutds
Tough to happen these days with the z bend design prop rods.

Sponsored

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
Tough to happen these days with the z bend design prop rods.
At the time I had a 14 and so did the guy who had the accident

OP
OP

Jerry Carguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2021 California Special Black exterior
Hood struts was the first mod I did, but I never removed the prop rod. Struts fail all the time. Itā€™s nice to have back up when you need it.
Yeah, I did the same thing, I even painted the rod red as a modšŸ˜‚

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Agree, my liking for the prop rod, drop the hood snap it closed no guessing. Has a positative sound to it.

And yes those struts will be replaced with struts, it's a given not if but when.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase