Sponsored

Beating on your Mustang...(literally)

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
...wife and I were riding the Harley on US 17 at the NC coast this past weekend when I saw
a guy beating the dash of his Mustang.
I'd never seen anything like it!!

Oh, yea, it was a 1966 model that looked to be a work in progress restoring............

WHY beat on it????????
Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Maybe he just found out his girl was taking dingaling from another dude.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Buy an old car, and work on it. Beating on things is part of the restoration process. The owner probably had a short in the dash that was causing something bad to happen with the car.

A few days ago I watched a dude with a 15 year old or so SUV get a 4' long piece of 2x4 out of the back of his vehicle, and use it to pound on the starter to get it to work, or disengage. Then he put it back and drove off.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
A few days ago I watched a dude with a 15 year old or so SUV get a 4' long piece of 2x4 out of the back of his vehicle, and use it to pound on the starter to get it to work, or disengage. Then he put it back and drove off.
1981, give or take, and my Corvette wouldn't start. Got it towed to the mechanic's shop. He took out a 4' crowbar, whalloped the starter a few times, and it fired right up. He told me that he'd order a new one, and said if it happened again before the new one came in, just whack it a few times to "nudge it off the dead spot".

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Could be like my Jeep XJ. Gauge shows it’s over heating, bang on the dash a few times and I am no longer over heating. If I hit it hard enough I even get more gas too!
Dude, heck yeah. I've got an XJ too. It makes all sorts of noises, but runs great.

OP
OP
oneheadlite

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
So, in other words; it's like hitting the side of a TV to get it to work??

NYDP77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Mustang Stage 3
Vehicle Showcase
My grandpa would beat on old cars it was the first step in fixing things that were broke. It actually worked one time...

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
He used to drive a Firebird.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Could be like my Jeep XJ. Gauge shows it’s over heating, bang on the dash a few times and I am no longer over heating. If I hit it hard enough I even get more gas too!
I owned an XJ for about 11 years. It used to “lose” oil pressure driving down the road. The only thing that fixed it was flooring it and giving the sensor a jolt to come back to life, hahaha. I replaced everything on it except the drivetrain pretty much.

Had a WJ too for 2-ish years. Loved it, but the Just Empty Every Pocket saying was too true to hold on to it.

Reactions: Ebm

Sponsored

XCRN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
Dude, heck yeah. I've got an XJ too. It makes all sorts of noises, but runs great.
Gotta love the XJ life! I have probably lost brakes 4 times for various different reasons, over heated a few times once due to too much rain making the serpintine belt wet and not turning the water pump. Half of everything electronic works and changes which side every few weeks. It is just a phenominal winter beater, it can get out of ditches as easily as I put it into them. Best $500 I ever spent!
6BA1D5A2-B5A8-41FA-938E-D97DE6119459.jpeg

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Gotta love the XJ life! I have probably lost brakes 4 times for various different reasons, over heated a few times once due to too much rain making the serpintine belt wet and not turning the water pump. Half of everything electronic works and changes which side every few weeks. It is just a phenominal winter beater, it can get out of ditches as easily as I put it into them. Best $500 I ever spent!
6BA1D5A2-B5A8-41FA-938E-D97DE6119459.jpeg
Nice, you've got the newer XJ body style. Mine is a '96 and so it has the old body style. I like both!

It's a great vehicle to drive in the winter, but I have to agree with @Shifting_Gears mine is starting to have problems since it's now 23 years old. The most recent problem being coolant disappearing from the overflow reservoir and no leak showing on the pavement underneath. The oil dipstick is still dark and doesn't show signs of coolant on it. The coolant in the radiator is green and doesn't show signs of any oil in it. Guess it's time to pressure test the system. Stupid Jeep lol.
Sponsored