Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in a pickle here guys.
BC Racing coilovers...are they good or not?

I've read and heard that BC Racing coilovers ARE good. I know some race teams use them, some drift teams use them, I have generally heard very good things about them.
They offer a set for 2015+ Mustangs but they are only $995. That sounds way too good to be true. Though I have heard good things about their products in general, I have never heard of anyone with a 6th gen Mustang using them. Maybe they are only to get your car low and are not intended to be used on track? I have no idea.

Does anyone have some knowledge on these coilovers or have any experience or know someone who has them?
If they are actually good quality and that cheap, I would think everyone would be using them. This is not the case so I'm skeptical.
Sponsored

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Truth be told, most people (especially those starting out) don't need coilovers. If you are maxing out your stock suspension, then I'd upgrade to a better set of stock style dampers and maybe springs (FP track dampers and BMR handling springs are a good combo).

As for your question, the BC setup isn't horrible. I have a similar setup in the Pedders coilovers. They are a more street-focused setup, though. The front spring rates are ok (391 lb/in), but the rears are light (782 lb/in).

Honestly an adequate set of coilovers for high level of driving are going to be 2500-5k so....

I'm maxing my Pedders out just to spite others.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I'm in a pickle here guys.
BC Racing coilovers...are they good or not?

I've read and heard that BC Racing coilovers ARE good. I know some race teams use them, some drift teams use them, I have generally heard very good things about them.
Not what I have heard.
What race teams use them?
Having drifters use them is not a good recommendation in my book, as the first thing you want in drifting is to LOSE traction.

The favorible comments I have seen have always been from the lower it cheap and quick crowd who have never had it on track.

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have not personally used them yet, but from what I gather they're some of the best cheap coilovers. If you plan to track your car, you'll probably want to go with the more expensive DS series instead of the BR series (the $995 ones) and also get custom spring rates.

There are also companies out there that will modify these (BC Racing coilover with Bilstein internals, larger shafts, and re-valved) so they're up there with more expensive coilovers: https://store.redshiftmotorsports.c...csm_w2s5hXqn-tB_fo1NUvmSV9xtjF1WtckBZo9Zz3rwo

I plan to run the modified ones on my RSX pretty soon.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
They're better than stock, but I wouldn't call them earth shattering. As Grintch said, I don't know of any race teams that use $1000 BC coils (and no, drifting does not count).

IMO, middle of the road suspension (especially coils) have little room in the racing world. Either you're a newbie where stock suspension is good enough, or you're a serious racer and at that point you need to use some real motorsport coilovers. Not much in between where you absolutely have outgrown the stock stuff, but are not good enough to see a benefit from mid-high end stuff.

These are mainly for the street crowd who like the slammed look, if you're an avid racer either stick with stock stuff (or slightly upgraded parts like FRPP dampers) or save up and go to a nice set of MCS or JRZs or stuff like that if you're trying to get every second.

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
They're better than stock, but I wouldn't call them earth shattering. As Grintch said, I don't know of any race teams that use $1000 BC coils (and no, drifting does not count).

IMO, middle of the road suspension (especially coils) have little room in the racing world. Either you're a newbie where stock suspension is good enough, or you're a serious racer and at that point you need to use some real motorsport coilovers. Not much in between where you absolutely have outgrown the stock stuff, but are not good enough to see a benefit from mid-high end stuff.

These are mainly for the street crowd who like the slammed look, if you're an avid racer either stick with stock stuff (or slightly upgraded parts like FRPP dampers) or save up and go to a nice set of MCS or JRZs or stuff like that if you're trying to get every second.
with all due respect, just because you guys haven't seen anyone use it, doesn't mean there aren't people out there using it in competitive environments. just saying....because there's a big gap between FRPP and MCS, so there has to be viable middle ground.

again no offense, but some of you guys may be too experienced to offer a valid opinion on this.

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Did you not see my response?

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
because there's a big gap between FRPP and MCS, so there has to be viable middle ground.
True, but the BCs ain't it.

The middle ground coils are Ridetechs, KWs, Roush etc. but at that point you're spending over 2k and you're only marginally better than a good FRPP/spring combo that will be significantly less.

What I'm saying is that there's little to be gained going from the low to middle ground in terms of performance, and it's not necessarily a good bang for buck upgrade. Only when you go big bux do you get a big return. The middle is such a grey area, where you're not really good enough for the high end stuff but are you really getting any benefit over a solid strut/spring combo. Might as well save some more, or invest that extra money into more track days which will improve you more than a set of fancy looking coils.

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
True, but the BCs ain't it.

The middle ground coils are Ridetechs, KWs, Roush etc. but at that point you're spending over 2k and you're only marginally better than a good FRPP/spring combo that will be significantly less.

What I'm saying is that there's little to be gained going from the low to middle ground in terms of performance, and it's not necessarily a good bang for buck upgrade. Only when you go big bux do you get a big return. The middle is such a grey area, where you're not really good enough for the high end stuff but are you really getting any benefit over a solid strut/spring combo. Might as well save some more, or invest that extra money into more track days which will improve you more than a set of fancy looking coils.
That I agree with. I've wanted to jump back to the tried and true FP/BMR setup, but I'm putting these Pedders coilovers to the test due to partial sponsorship. At some point, I'll go full dumbass on some higher end coilovers (maybe).

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Bluedream

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT DIB premium pp, 2017 Focus RS
Had them on another car for over 10 years, only 1 blew out. If u live in a area where they use salt you will have to clean quite often or u wont be able to adjust the collars they will rust in place.

Nikko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue GT PP1
I had the BR series on my Acura, they are good for the price. Made my type-s feel great while taking away almost all body roll. IF you do decide to proceed I would suggest noting down the following:

1) if its within your budget either upgrade to swift springs on them or get the DS series as these will improve overall feel.
2) the moment you unbox, make sure the top nut is torqued down. Often times some come a little loose and will cause a loud knocking noise if they are not tightened.
3) buy a set of coilover socks to keep crud off of the threads to prevent them from seizing for height adjustment
4) If you want stance status, get the extreme low option as the regular ones will not get the desired height if you want to be LOW.

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Interesting. Their front rates are good...rear too soft. I'd want a 8k front, >= 20k rear setup with the stock-style divorced spring.
Call them, they will make you anything you want. That’s why I love that company.

Get 20k springs front and rear if you’d like and they will valve it appropriately.

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
Call them, they will make you anything you want. That’s why I love that company.

Get 20k springs front and rear if you’d like and they will valve it appropriately.
Sure, but with how much stiction/hysteresis/cavitation? Have you seen their dynos, will they provide you an mcr file for YOUR shocks with an entire sweep for the speeds you care about to know what you’ve actually got to analyze and base setup decisions on? Not ragging on BC per say, but what you’re really buying with high dollar shocks is consistency (my shock will generate the force I expect for a given setting under specific scenarios), repeatability (my valving will not change if my settings do not) and longevity (my valving will persist for a reasonable period of time after being built).
Sponsored