Bullitt66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
2016 GT

I think the original battery has expired…

The battery is 5 years old and the cars not getting daily use since lockdown, work from home etc

Running fine, but next day it wouldn’t crank, but making all kinds of weird clicks (not the old school dead battery noise of a single click…)

ESC warning message… a nice worrying distraction…

jump started fine, voltmeter showing 14v charge, after a run dropping back to 12.5v- the smart charging just to add confusion…

despite a good run, the next day it wouldn’t even unlock the doors

anyway after deep discharge, I will try overnight charging, but i think the battery is toast.

Battery is a bugger to remove - cant get your fingers under it and it’s right in the back corner by the hood hinge. Life hack here is to loop a couple of long cable ties through the holes in the battery lip and then voila it pulls straight out with your diy handles

just posting to see if anyone else has been here yet?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Good guess

OP
OP
Bullitt66

Bullitt66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
well just to update anyone who stumbles across this thread with a flat battery, I checked the voltage ‘as removed’ from the car, 3.9 volts. No harm in trying to charge it, so left it charging overnight, it was taking 3amps. After about 20 hours it was still at 11 volts, so it’s toast…

a quick scour on google tells me(V8) takes a regular 027 battery, £55 at Europarts who are open Sundays. It’s a Lion brand (wtf?) but urban myth advises me they’re made by Bosch & ok. Halfords was almost double that price. A battery is just a consumable to me, so no point in spanking money on top end units. Comes with a 3 year warranty too. At least this one has a carry handle to help remove it when it too eventually fails…

FYI the great thing about this forum is that all the tech info is already here. After installing the new battery, you need to reset the battery monitoring system - which tells the alternator how much charge to add to the battery - a shiny new battery has very different needs to a flat old knacker…

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/bms-reset-no-tools-required.151602/

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Lion brand could be exide :like:

I believe 8 hours with doors locked and car left alone will allow the BMS to learn the new battery / new state of charge :like:

AGM might need something altering in the BMS settings (with ForScan or similar) - I’m not 100% sure on that though.

WD :like:

Sponsored

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't reset mine, I did however connect a Bluetooth monitoring device to check the charge.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I think I’m there with my 2019 Bullitt too. I’ve been having to use a power pack to jump the car after it sits for a couple of days. Looks like it’s time to do some research and find a good replacement battery.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Interstate

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

_zOmbIE_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Badlands, 22 GT Prem PP
So kind of a thread necro, but it seems relevant enough:

I put my more or less brand new '22 GT away for the winter and put my smart charger on it, a day later it said the battery was bad. I was like "the car is 6 months old and has 2,500km on it... that can't be right" so I bought a nice little NOCO trickle charger... it says the same thing. I started it the other day and it worked fine.

Is this normal for brand new Ford OEM batteries to fail, or is mine more of a a "one off" situation?

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
So kind of a thread necro, but it seems relevant enough:

I put my more or less brand new '22 GT away for the winter and put my smart charger on it, a day later it said the battery was bad. I was like "the car is 6 months old and has 2,500km on it... that can't be right" so I bought a nice little NOCO trickle charger... it says the same thing. I started it the other day and it worked fine.

Is this normal for brand new Ford OEM batteries to fail, or is mine more of a a "one off" situation?
It is not unheard of.

Regarding BMS vs. leaving the car locked for 8 hours, the former tells the system the battery was replaced, the latter so that it learns the state of charge. I put an AGM in mine, performed the BMS and left it overnight but did nothing about changing the battery type, which apparently you can do in Forscan, but another poster on a battery thread indicated that the system figures that out on its own, presumably because an AGM carries slightly more voltage fully charged.

_zOmbIE_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Badlands, 22 GT Prem PP
So interestingly enough, I disconnected the battery from the car and tried charging it again... no issues at all.

Does BMS interfere with smart chargers some how?