Sponsored

Base brakes.... still Brembos...

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I have heard this rumor before but it was confirmed by few guys at my local ford deal I used to work at. Apparently the 4 piston brakes on base gt are still brembos just not labeled. They are surplus and the same brakes from the 13-14 gt500 cars. They were built by brembo for ford. Upon further looking online they do indeed look the same. Thought it was interesting. Some may have known or heard before just figured i would share. Guess if the labeled them brembos no one would pay to upgrade them.

It has been discussed here about thousand times - people would really love to have that label on those base brakes...
They're made by Continental and they are most definitely not Brembo's (who's vsry good at making sure their brand is recognized).
(I've had '15 car without PP so had these brakes)
Sponsored

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I can tell you beyond a doubt that if they are brembos, they are the worst they ever made. I would put my name on them either

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
I can tell you beyond a doubt that if they are brembos, they are the worst they ever made. I would put my name on them either
And why that?
Can you explain?
The issue with the base gt brake is not the calipers but rather the rotor reverse cooling

OP
OP

Popo5ohh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
^ i agree. I have powerstop rotors with them and have never had any issues.

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
And why that?
Can you explain?
The issue with the base gt brake is not the calipers but rather the rotor reverse cooling
^ i agree. I have powerstop rotors with them and have never had any issues.
I have owned both on the same car. There is absolutely no comparison. Brembos are definitely the better choice. People who have driven my car notice two things :how it can take a turn and how it can stop.

Now one thing I can't say I did was change compound on the stock base GT pads. I honestly didn't see a point though after researching the two calipers.

Sponsored

IndyRN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang PP1 Premium
I have had brembos on both of my performance packs and I can say without a doubt, base cars do not have brembo brakes. You can tell the difference as soon as you step on the brakes.

OP
OP

Popo5ohh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
I have had brembos on both of my performance packs and I can say without a doubt, base cars do not have brembo brakes. You can tell the difference as soon as you step on the brakes.
But there are also 2 extra pistons so you can't really compare. I would like to drive a 12 gt500 and base 15 gt and see how they feel compared.

IndyRN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang PP1 Premium
But there are also 2 extra pistons so you can't really compare. I would like to drive a 12 gt500 and base 15 gt and see how they feel compared.
I'm sure you'll find that the s550 brakes are just as good if not better than the 2012 GT500 brembos. They are not bad brakes and clearly a very similar design. But if they were brembos, they would be lighter. My 6 piston brembo calipers are 10 pounds. The 4 piston contentals weigh almost 12 pounds. The 2012 gt500 calipers weigh under 10lbs with the bracket. If you decide to upgrade, s197 guys like these s550 brakes and I'm sure you could sell them to offset the cost.

OP
OP

Popo5ohh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
I mean as of now i don't have an issue with them. More of curiosity of what they really were due to hearing about being made by brembo multiple times.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
This, I have Steeda's 2 piece rotors and G-loc R10 pads and
I need better tires before I would need better calipers. With slicks and R16 I think I'd be just fine.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
Given the similarities between the Continental 4 piston calipers and the Brembo 4/6 piston calipers there may be some truth to the Continental 4 piston calipers being "Brembo" design and Ford paying a licensing fee to have them built using cheaper materials and slightly modified design. Of course I have no way of verifying that statement but looking at the pics side by side I would be shocked if Brembo would allow blatant copies being built by a competitor (Continental).

Also, the S550 4 piston calipers are bigger and better than the previous gen Brembo 4 piston calipers so somehow Ford or Continental has managed to outperform the king of Brake Calipers? Probably not which is why I believe there is some Brembo DNA in there somewhere, but I could be wrong.
Sponsored

Last edited: