Sponsored

Bad Valve Seal #6

Scott Wilson

s550 is life
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So I bought my 16 back in August 2016 and about 6 months after, I noticed a plume of smoke on hot restarts. I thought nothing of it as I was on e85 and sometimes that goes with it. Fast forward to 2018 and the smoke had gotten worse and more frequent. I went ahead and pulled all the plugs and #6 looked like this...

attachment.jpg

After considering it might be the valve seals and not the guides(no bbq tick) I decided to purchase a valve spring compressor from Freedom Racing that would allow me to change the valve seals with the cams IN PLACE! :clap2:

(purchase)
http://www.freedomracing.com/4v-5-0l-coyote-valve-spring-compressor.html

(how to use)
[ame]

It was a big learning curve understanding how to use the tool and my biggest fear was dropping a valve or loosing a retainer in my cylinder head. Here is a picture of the bad seal on one of the exhaust valves, it is hard to see but the valve seal on the far left is slightly larger in diameter than the other 3...

attachment.jpg

After reassembling I drove the car for a few days and made lots of WOT pulls, cruising, and hot restarts and here is a picture of the #6 plug today...

attachment.jpg

As you can see the problem was the valve seal on number 6. I replaced the seals with FelPro valve seals from Rock Auto and before you ask, Yes I did try to get the dealer to fix it and no they didn't see anything wrong as I was only burning 2qts every 5000 miles :mad:

Nonetheless I feel very accomplished in being able to complete the task and move on. :cheers:
bad valve seals.jpg
fixed.jpg
valve seals.jpg
Sponsored

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
Nice job!

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Yeah man! Dealer should have definitely taken care of that. Good job

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Awesome job, thanks for sharing!

Sponsored

16EcomustangDIB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Camaro SS1LE
Great job!

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Great info and now you wonder how many other Coyotes could have the same issue regarding oil consumption ... and it could just be something so simple as valve seals.

In your pics, it’s clearly visible that the hole is larger than the rest. I’m wondering if that valve seal was either manufactured defective and it made it past the supply chain QC review OR if it was mistakenly a wrong part pulled from another parts bin that is to be used on another Ford engine...

OP
OP
Scott Wilson

Scott Wilson

s550 is life
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Great info and now you wonder how many other Coyotes could have the same issue regarding oil consumption ... and it could just be something so simple as valve seals.

In your pics, it’s clearly visible that the hole is larger than the rest. I’m wondering if that valve seal was either manufactured defective and it made it past the supply chain QC review OR if it was mistakenly a wrong part pulled from another parts bin that is to be used on another Ford engine...

I wondered the exact same thing. Another guy on one of the fb groups has the same issue on another cylinder and it makes me wonder if a bulk order of valve seals got mixed in with valve seals from a 5.0 that might have slightly larger valve diameters. His is also a 16 and I don't know if the gt350 valves were larger diameters or maybe even the f150 valves

JackBauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic base GT 6SP
thats a nifty tool for the valve spring retainers. good to know thanks for the writeup.

i battled alot and made my own tool to replace the seals on a car i used to own, that was fun.

NZ GT mustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt Mustang Fastback MT, Deep Impact Blue
So I bought my 16 back in August 2016 and about 6 months after, I noticed a plume of smoke on hot restarts. I thought nothing of it as I was on e85 and sometimes that goes with it. Fast forward to 2018 and the smoke had gotten worse and more frequent. I went ahead and pulled all the plugs and #6 looked like this...

attachment.jpg

After considering it might be the valve seals and not the guides(no bbq tick) I decided to purchase a valve spring compressor from Freedom Racing that would allow me to change the valve seals with the cams IN PLACE! :clap2:

(purchase)

(how to use)
[ame]

It was a big learning curve understanding how to use the tool and my biggest fear was dropping a valve or loosing a retainer in my cylinder head. Here is a picture of the bad seal on one of the exhaust valves, it is hard to see but the valve seal on the far left is slightly larger in diameter than the other 3...

attachment.jpg

After reassembling I drove the car for a few days and made lots of WOT pulls, cruising, and hot restarts and here is a picture of the #6 plug today...

attachment.jpg

As you can see the problem was the valve seal on number 6. I replaced the seals with FelPro valve seals from Rock Auto and before you ask, Yes I did try to get the dealer to fix it and no they didn't see anything wrong as I was only burning 2qts every 5000 miles :mad:

Nonetheless I feel very accomplished in being able to complete the task and move on. :cheers:
bad valve seals.jpg
fixed.jpg
valve seals.jpg
Hi. I have a 2016 Gt Mustang and is eating oil this engine has only 6400km on it and had consumed 2 litres of oil. We did 4800 km for the first litre and only 1800 km for the second litre. It's getting worse. Ford have been topping it up. I have not pulled the plugs yet.
Is there a TSB for this oil consumption problem?

Sponsored

DeepImpact89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2016 Mustang GT
I am encountering this issue too, I got a 2016 mustang gt as well.

blue5.slow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base, M/T

attachment.jpg

(purchase)

(how to use)
[ame]

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

bad valve seals.jpg
fixed.jpg
valve seals.jpg
I think I’m having the same exact issue. I will pull the plugs today and check if they have oil on them
Sponsored