Sponsored

Backup Camera Not Working

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
The TSB 18-2362 (that states the repair harness P/N's) is dated 12/17/2018. PRIOR to this date I could see Ford MAYBE replacing the whole harness under warranty, but that seems unlikely.

Others with earlier repairs stated their Ford dealer just REPAIRED where the existing harness was broken ... you are the 1st I've heard that they went to all that trouble to replace the whole harness.
Doug
They attempted to repair it however they did it. All I saw was it wrapped in electrical tape where it failed. However unlikely it was for the whole thing to be replaced, it happened to me. That's just my luck
Sponsored

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard Premium GT automatic
Print off and show your dad the TSB from post #5 of this thread.

There are a total of 9 wires in the bundle that need to be spliced and they are all 18GA or smaller.

Instead of splicing with staggered butt connectors, you could also use 9 individual Male & Female Plug Terminals instead ... then you would not need to be so concerned about staggering the connections.

If you have a COUPE, you can fold down the back seat and lay on it from the interior with your upper body in the trunk to do the splicing. If you have a CONV, well not as easy as you have to bend over into the trunk or have some sort of raised platform you can put behind the car with some padding on the trunk opening so you can try and lay in there that way.

If he has the right tools and feels it is an easy enough job that he can do it or he can help guide you to do it yourself then go for it.

Doug
Thanks for the info. Do you know if there is any way to print off the TSB so you can see it better? I couldn't figure out how to change the size on my computer as the whole thing prints on one page and is very small.

stangs-R-me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
1969 GT & 2016 EB Mustangs
Thanks for the info. Do you know if there is any way to print off the TSB so you can see it better? I couldn't figure out how to change the size on my computer as the whole thing prints on one page and is very small.
Maybe this is better ??

Doug

Attachments

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I finally took it to the dealer and its now fixed. I ended up saving about $80 since I already had the harness, minus the $25 I paid for it. But not that bad I guess.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Print off and show your dad the TSB from post #5 of this thread.

There are a total of 9 wires in the bundle that need to be spliced and they are all 18GA or smaller.

Instead of splicing with staggered butt connectors, you could also use 9 individual Male & Female Plug Terminals instead ... then you would not need to be so concerned about staggering the connections.

If you have a COUPE, you can fold down the back seat and lay on it from the interior with your upper body in the trunk to do the splicing. If you have a CONV, well not as easy as you have to bend over into the trunk or have some sort of raised platform you can put behind the car with some padding on the trunk opening so you can try and lay in there that way.

If he has the right tools and feels it is an easy enough job that he can do it or he can help guide you to do it yourself then go for it.

Doug
9 wires? I count 8.

Are you including the shielding for the camera signal?

Sponsored

stangs-R-me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
1969 GT & 2016 EB Mustangs
9 wires? I count 8.

Are you including the shielding for the camera signal?
This was almost a year ago, I barely remember last week !!

Looking at my 2 pictures in post 14, there are 6 wires in the 1st pic (wires outside the shielded video harness) and 2 wires and a bare silver stranded wire in the shielded video harness. Maybe this bare wire is part of the shielding, but whatever it is it was broken in mine and needed to be reconnected ... so YES 9 wires total.

Car was a 2016 Coupe.

Doug

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
This was almost a year ago, I barely remember last week !!

Looking at my 2 pictures in post 14, there are 6 wires in the 1st pic (wires outside the shielded video harness) and 2 wires and a bare silver stranded wire in the shielded video harness. Maybe this bare wire is part of the shielding, but whatever it is it was broken in mine and needed to be reconnected ... so YES 9 wires total.

Car was a 2016 Coupe.

Doug
Just came to say, I aligator clipped a jumper between the two shields, and it started working.

I'm going to step up to a 12-pin Deutsch connector tonight that includes a pin for the shield to jump it.

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I got the backup camera fixed a long time ago, but just recently my apps in Sync quit working. It looks like they are loading, but will not come up. Any idea of a fix to this? I tried updating it and nothing. Would unplugging the battery for a minute work?

jordystang69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Lightning Blue
For anyone that bought the TSB harness FR3Z-14A411-X, did it have 8 or 9 wires at the end? I just got mine and it only has the 8 insulated wires, the bare wire that is part of the shielded 3 was not present.

Will it work without having that?

Picture of the harness I got from https://www.ebay.com/itm/333436243591

one.png
two.png

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
For anyone that bought the TSB harness FR3Z-14A411-X, did it have 8 or 9 wires at the end? I just got mine and it only has the 8 insulated wires, the bare wire that is part of the shielded 3 was not present.

Will it work without having that?

Picture of the harness I got from https://www.ebay.com/itm/333436243591

one.png
two.png
It will probably not. I had to connect mine.

You have to dig a little ways back to get the shield.

Sponsored

jordystang69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Lightning Blue
It will probably not. I had to connect mine.

You have to dig a little ways back to get the shield.
I peeled the cloth tape back a bit more to check. Indeed it has the bare wire present and taped down to protect it.

3.png

Thanks!

stingerbtry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GTP PP
Just had to replace my harness for the "camera unavailable" problem. I only had one completely broken wire but it was to the point where it would just pop the message every time and had stopped working all together. I can attest to the above comments that you have to make sure the shielding is connected from the break/cut to the new harness. I ignored it the first time I did the splices and nothing changed with the camera. I tore off all the new tesa and electrical tape that I just put over the new splices yesterday, soldered in a length of shielding from an cat-6 cable and also used the shielding foil from the cat-6 to wrap the camera wires in before covering that all with electrical and then the whole bundle in tesa tape again. Once I did it the "right" way the camera now works like a champ again. Unfortunately, I ordered a new camera from Lakeland yesterday before seeing this post about the shielding so I guess now I'll have a backup...backup camera.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I'm pretty sure this is covered under a recall. I got paperwork in the mail telling me to take the car to a dealer for a repair.

stingerbtry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GTP PP
I'm pretty sure this is covered under a recall. I got paperwork in the mail telling me to take the car to a dealer for a repair.
It is and so did I. I'd much rather pay the ~$25 for a new harness and do the work myself then let the dealership touch my car. I had to take it in when it was still brand new to have the a/c fixed and they broke countless clips, cracked/broke trim pieces and completely left off a piece under the dash and several screws. Since then the dash has a rattled and some of the trim pieces don't fit/stay on properly. When I told them about it they laughed and essentially said I couldn't prove they did "any of the things" so that was the end of dealership service departments for me. I've always done all work on all of my cars myself and that was the first time I trusted a dealership and I learned my lesson about doing that.
Sponsored