Sponsored

Backup Camera Not Working

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
right where the protective outer plastic sleeve ended
Hey Doug, where exactly in the harness was that location? Can't tell from your last picture. Is that where the zip-tie is, close to the speaker? Seems awfully tight. My harness is not tight when trunk is open, but not loose either. Kind of borderline. I'd like to loosen it up a tad as a preventative measure, and also install a new zip-tie (not as tight)... if that's where the problem is. Thanks brother.
Sponsored

stangs-R-me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
1969 GT & 2016 EB Mustangs
Hey Doug, where exactly in the harness was that location? Can't tell from your last picture. Is that where the zip-tie is, close to the speaker? Seems awfully tight. My harness is not tight when trunk is open, but not loose either. Kind of borderline. I'd like to loosen it up a tad as a preventative measure, and also install a new zip-tie (not as tight)... if that's where the problem is. Thanks brother.
Here, I've edited the picture. The hard plastic split sleeve starts at the clip towards the top of the picture and ends at the arrow.

My guess is Ford lengthened this protective sleeve on the repair harness so it now goes past the 1st zip tie / clip that holds it to the body.

Doug

wires-broke-at-end-of-sleeve.JPG

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard Premium GT automatic
So I called the place I got my car from to see what they would say. They stated my car wasn't under warranty. Funny because they didn't ask the year or mileage and I don't even think I told them my name. IDK, maybe they looked up my info on caller idea or something. Anyway, they want $80 to do diagnostic on it and then see if they can fix it right then or will have to order some parts, like the harness if needed. I dont know if I should take the chance it might be cheaper or pay the 270 at the other place and have them do it?

stangs-R-me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
So I called the place I got my car from to see what they would say. They stated my car wasn't under warranty. Funny because they didn't ask the year or mileage and I don't even think I told them my name. IDK, maybe they looked up my info on caller idea or something. Anyway, they want $80 to do diagnostic on it and then see if they can fix it right then or will have to order some parts, like the harness if needed. I dont know if I should take the chance it might be cheaper or pay the 270 at the other place and have them do it?
If your car is a COUPE** buy the $25 harness on ebay ($100.68 MSRP) ...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Ford-Wire-Assembly-FR3Z-14A411-X/333436243591?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160727114228&meid=6b0fc301b602426fa18da4053ee710ce&pid=100290&rk=4&rkt=4&sd=333731037327&itm=333436243591&pmt=1&noa=1&pg=2060778&brand=Ford&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507
... and bring your car to a stereo shop or someone that has simple automotive electrical wiring experience that can splice the new extension harness in for you.

There is no need to do "diagnostics" as it is just a poorly designed wiring harness that failed. This will be gobs cheaper than having a Ford dealer do it.

** If you've got a CONVERTIBLE, you will need repair harness FR3Z-14A411-Y ... there is one ebay listing for $91.33 ($88.38 MSRP) ... but you can find for around $60 from various online Ford dealers.

Doug

Last edited:

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, I cancelled my appointment for now. Problem is I dont know of any good car stereo places near me. The closest would probably be either Fort Wayne or Toledo. I'm wondering if just splicing in the harness is all it needs? Also my dad used to be good working on cars and he has some tools, but he is getting older. I'm wondering if we could figure it out together if I were to order the harness and try to hook it up?

Sponsored

stangs-R-me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Print off and show your dad the TSB from post #5 of this thread.

There are a total of 9 wires in the bundle that need to be spliced and they are all 18GA or smaller.

Instead of splicing with staggered butt connectors, you could also use 9 individual Male & Female Plug Terminals instead ... then you would not need to be so concerned about staggering the connections.

If you have a COUPE, you can fold down the back seat and lay on it from the interior with your upper body in the trunk to do the splicing. If you have a CONV, well not as easy as you have to bend over into the trunk or have some sort of raised platform you can put behind the car with some padding on the trunk opening so you can try and lay in there that way.

If he has the right tools and feels it is an easy enough job that he can do it or he can help guide you to do it yourself then go for it.

Doug

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IDK, I'm thinking it might be better to try the car stereo place since they have more experience with wiring and should still be cheaper than the dealership. I called a place that isn't too far away and they said to just bring it in and they will see if they can fix it or what it needs. Do you think I should still order the harness beforehand or do you think they will have something that may work in stock?

stangs-R-me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
IDK, I'm thinking it might be better to try the car stereo place since they have more experience with wiring and should still be cheaper than the dealership. I called a place that isn't too far away and they said to just bring it in and they will see if they can fix it or what it needs. Do you think I should still order the harness beforehand or do you think they will have something that may work in stock?
Order the harness ... it is easier to splice the NEW harness in than to try and fix the old one. The replacement harness has all the connectors and retainers where they belong and allows the splices to be before the last retainment point to the trunk lid.

If they try and fix the old harness all the splices will be where the wires broke before which is where you want all new wiring and is the whole point of the replacement harness.

Doug

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
I had this problem. Luckily the car was under warranty. Ford's only approved method of repair(at the time, I don't know about now) was to replace the entire wiring harness of the car, which also included a more durable section at the trunk area. The backup camera has been working fine ever since.

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I think I'm going to order the harness and me and my dad look at it. If it looks too difficult then try a stereo place.

Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Yeah, I think I'm going to order the harness and me and my dad look at it. If it looks too difficult then try a stereo place.
The harness as in the entire wiring harness that runs from the engine to the back of the car. My interior had to come out for that.

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, I thought it was just a small piece that you splice in to make it a little longer as it was designed too short from the factory?

stangs-R-me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
FR3Z-14A411-X (Coupe) FR3Z-14A411-Y (Conv) are short "REPAIR" harness's.

Shift had this done under WARRANTY, and must have been done BEFORE the short repair harnesses became available. Even if the dealer did not know about the repair harness I would think FORD would have directed them to use it instead of the full body harness that they did that obviously would be a HUGE undertaking in LABOR having to basically completely disassemble and reassemble the car.

Doug

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
FR3Z-14A411-X (Coupe) FR3Z-14A411-Y (Conv) are short "REPAIR" harness's.

Shift had this done under WARRANTY, and must have been done BEFORE the short repair harnesses became available. Even if the dealer did not know about the repair harness I would think FORD would have directed them to use it instead of the full body harness that they did that obviously would be a HUGE undertaking in LABOR having to basically completely disassemble and reassemble the car.

Doug
Good thing there's a better repair than what I went through. It was definitely a WTF moment when they said that was the only way to fix the wiring for the back up camera. It was done about 2-3 years back.

stangs-R-me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Good thing there's a better repair than what I went through. It was definitely a WTF moment when they said that was the only way to fix the wiring for the back up camera. It was done about 2-3 years back.
The TSB 18-2362 (that states the repair harness P/N's) is dated 12/17/2018. PRIOR to this date I could see Ford MAYBE replacing the whole harness under warranty, but that seems unlikely.

Others with earlier repairs stated their Ford dealer just REPAIRED where the existing harness was broken ... you are the 1st I've heard that they went to all that trouble to replace the whole harness.
Doug
Sponsored