Sponsored

Average S550 monthly payment?

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
I agree, at 1.95% its almost free money. However, you got a payment you like. Also the car in the current used car market his holding its value so pretty good.
Yeah, at the time I was thinking I MIGHT want to buy a new house, so I should keep my "bad debt" and debt-income ratio low. It was a trivial difference, though, and wasn't really necessary. Then soon after, my wife and I decided we were happy where we are (even before interest rates mooned).

I think a part of me was just averse to aggressively investing anymore money at the time, too... Anyway, whatevs, spilt milk. /lifestory
Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Yeah, at the time I was thinking I MIGHT want to buy a new house, so I should keep my "bad debt" and debt-income ratio low. It was a trivial difference, though, and wasn't really necessary. Then soon after, my wife and I decided we were happy where we are (even before interest rates mooned).

I think a part of me was just averse to aggressively investing anymore money at the time, too... Anyway, whatevs, spilt milk.

That's funny as I am a Realtor and a loan officer. My first rule I tell my clients, "No buying cars until after the transaction is done!!!"

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
That's funny as I am a Realtor and a loan officer. My first rule I tell my clients, "No buying cars until after the transaction is done!!!"
and you take a House Equity loan out to "pay" for them. :)

DandeeLioness

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dandee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium
I have had plenty of practical vehicles in my life. And I have wasted god knows how many thousands modifying vehicles that weren't meant to go fast including a 450hp Ford Edge Sport. I can't even give a good reason as to why I tried that. At least the Mustang was meant to go fast. I never was really known for common sense. lol. I need something that puts a smile on my face. There are a million better uses for my money than buying a new Mustang. But it makes life fun.

Iā€™m relieved to see this reply in a sea of so many practical and diverse perspectives ā€” all of which Iā€™ve found quite helpful, admittedly.

Thereā€™s no ā€œrightā€ version of an answer to OPā€™s original question, though Iā€™d be willing to bet a lot of non-forum people would say ā€œthe right financial choice is NOT buying a sports car.ā€ And theyā€™d probably be right to some extent, too lol

As for me, my car will be here any day now and Iā€™m genuinely terrified of making such a ā€œfrivolousā€ decision, on my own, for the first time in my adult life (Iā€™m child-free, got the steady job, the house, the 401(k), the practical and efficient paid-off car, etc). So Iā€™ll be ignoring my ā€œwhat if it all goes wrongā€ survival instinct in favor of the less popular and oft forgotten, ā€œwhat if it all goes right?ā€

I do not share the frivolous spending habits that my fellow millennials apparently conjure up in the minds of the masses ā€” I donā€™t even drink coffee lol Truth is, Iā€™m an over-thinker/planner to the point of decision paralysis and I donā€™t like taking unnecessary risks; especially financially.

And yetā€¦the pure, unrivaled joy I feel on an open road, behind the wheel of one of these carsā€¦that just has to be an example of exactly when you trust and bet on yourself and throw caution to the wind, right?šŸ¤žAt this point, Iā€™m thinking Iā€™d rather fear regret more than failure and make my life more fun rather than safe.

Just this once.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
$480/mo on a great interest rate. Car was $29.9k, zero down for 72mo. Two years old, under 6k milesā€¦ this was when times were good. Back then I thought that number was ā€œhighā€ but that quickly changed post covid.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
My ordered vert was $49.2K OTD. Paid $32K down from the wrecked 2018, paid the balance from my emergency fund. My emergency fund gets paid back $75 automatically every Monday, so essentially, my "payment" is $300/month. There was little risk since my emergency fund still has a balance of 1 years' salary.
So, two months and 3900 miles Da Grape and I are on the road most weekends.

grape6.jpg

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My build today in 2022 is $46,635, when I bought the car MSRP was just at $41k. I also got the car for 0% interest for 72 mos. No way would I sell now to get another Mustang.

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT California Special
My build today in 2022 is $46,635, when I bought the car MSRP was just at $41k. I also got the car for 0% interest for 72 mos. No way would I sell now to get another Mustang.
I don't blame you. For something that you're absolutely going to buy regardless, 0% financing is like free money.

Sponsored

Dinokill3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt PP
My ordered vert was $49.2K OTD. Paid $32K down from the wrecked 2018, paid the balance from my emergency fund. My emergency fund gets paid back $75 automatically every Monday, so essentially, my "payment" is $300/month. There was little risk since my emergency fund still has a balance of 1 years' salary.
So, two months and 3900 miles Da Grape and I are on the road most weekends.

grape6.jpg
50k for an ecoboost is insanity to me. Yikes

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜05 GMC P/U, ā€˜17 Impala, 19 Bullitt
Hi - My wife gives me interest free lifetime loans with no payment schedule... Bruce

Last edited:

Partock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Well, I bought at just the right time.
2016 Mustang GT Premium Convertible that was low enough mileage that it still had some factory warranty left on it (three years ago) and paid $25K.
Not a rental, no wrecks, clean history and one owner.
About $440 a month.

Son of SVO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Ecoboost premium coupe
Sorry all, my answer is $0. I paid cash for my car when I bought it new. First time ever!
Sponsored