Autoweek - The Forgotten Mach 1

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
TBH I see the current Mach being even more forgettable in 17+ years, as it will likely be a two year production run sandwiched between the more memorable GT350/GT500 and whatever the S650 platform brings us.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
TBH I see the current Mach being even more forgettable in 17+ years, as it will likely be a two year production run sandwiched between the more memorable GT350/GT500 and whatever the S650 platform brings us.
And that from looks it is a sticker package and some minor details on the front bumper that 99% of people will never notice.

it NEEDS NACA/NASA scoops.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
The last Mach 1 was a 2 year run that had to compete at the same time as the 03/04 cobraā€¦ā€¦.one of the most iconic mustangs ever made. It was immediately followed by the s197 which represented a big change to the platform. Both generations of Mach 1 have a very similar story. In my opinion the one thing that will help the ā€˜21 over the 03/04 Mach 1 is it is a much better car. The new edge cars got so dated, so fast. The current car should hold up fairly well. If the s650 goes the way of hybrid, awd, auto only, or any other advancement that is out of touch with what these cars have always represented, the Mach 1 will have been the last pure version of the mustang. Alternatively, if the s650 is not a significant change to the current platform the Mach 1 wonā€™t be left behind.

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
The last Mach 1 was a 2 year run that had to compete at the same time as the 03/04 cobraā€¦ā€¦.one of the most iconic mustangs ever made. It was immediately followed by the s197 which represented a big change to the platform. Both generations of Mach 1 have a very similar story. In my opinion the one thing that will help the ā€˜21 over the 03/04 Mach 1 is it is a much better car. The new edge cars got so dated, so fast. The current car should hold up fairly well. If the s650 goes the way of hybrid, awd, auto only, or any other advancement that is out of touch with what these cars have always represented, the Mach 1 will have been the last pure version of the mustang. Alternatively, if the s650 is not a significant change to the current platform the Mach 1 wonā€™t be left behind.
I like your opinion but the new Mach 1 doesnā€™t replace the GT350 in any way. I kick myself for not getting one but the NFG pulled me. It barely replaces the Bullitt.

Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like your opinion but the new Mach 1 doesnā€™t replace the GT350 in any way. I kick myself for not getting one but the NFG pulled me. It barely replaces the Bullitt.
Where in my post did I say it replaces the gt350?

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Where in my post did I say it replaces the gt350?
You didnā€™t. You mentioned the ā€˜21 will benefit from other Mach 1ā€™s but it wonā€™t. Just my opinion. It is a disaster car.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You didnā€™t. You mentioned the ā€˜21 will benefit from other Mach 1ā€™s but it wonā€™t. Just my opinion. It is a disaster car.
Youā€™re all over the place tonight :cwl:
the gt350 comment was kind of random and now this one. The ā€˜21 Mach 1 will benefit from other Mach 1ā€™s? I have no idea what you think I wrote

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Youā€™re all over the place tonight :cwl:
the gt350 comment was kind of random and now this one. The ā€˜21 Mach 1 will benefit from other Mach 1ā€™s? I have no idea what you think I wrote
Maybe I miss understood your statement, and quoted the wrong post but it is also mentioned here earlier the Mach 1 is an S550 with stickers. See #3. They are trying to shove this car down our throats between those two and it doesnā€™t even come close. It is just my opinion. It is a close Bullitt with different colors and maybe a trick or two. I donā€™t mean to be offensive so I will back out, I am just waiting for the 2022 GT500.

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
The last Mach 1 was a 2 year run that had to compete at the same time as the 03/04 cobraā€¦ā€¦.one of the most iconic mustangs ever made. It was immediately followed by the s197 which represented a big change to the platform. Both generations of Mach 1 have a very similar story. In my opinion the one thing that will help the ā€˜21 over the 03/04 Mach 1 is it is a much better car. The new edge cars got so dated, so fast. The current car should hold up fairly well.
I think the 03/04 Cobra and GT500 are very comparable in the shadow they cast over their respective Mach cars.

I do agree on the styling though. I had a V6 2002 convertible and even back then I thought it was sorta meh (the car itself was objectively terrible in terms of fit and finish). I agree that the S550 may hold up much better against the S650, but I won't hold my breath.

Keep in mind I have a $1k deposit down on a M1, so I'm not down on the car, just realistic that it's not going to be 'the latest and greatest' for more than a year, which kinda stinks. I would be absolutely amazed if the S650 doesn't have a V8 non hybrid option. That being said, I can see the 'signature' S650 being released with a V8/electric AWD and an automatic transmission, which would increase the Mach's cool factor if you picked a MT.

Sponsored

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
And that from looks it is a sticker package and some minor details on the front bumper that 99% of people will never notice.
It's the best 5.0 of S550. No point to re-iterate all the improvements for handling and endurance again. You had GT350 in USA, the rest of the world didn't. Neither we'll get anything better in the future. Maybe you'll forget it, but us foreigners won't. It's so perfect looking from every angle it can't get any better.

Last edited:

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels

it NEEDS NACA/NASA scoops.
...and more bespoke items that no other models share to further differentiate it, much like the '03-'04.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
...and more bespoke items that no other models share to further differentiate it, much like the '03-'04.
I am fine-ish with the parts bin nature, but would have preferred a hood at least. (I know that Ford was never going to build the Mach 1 I would have built if I was in charge...but I don't care much for bean counting and don't have a massive international business to keep afloat...)

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe I miss understood your statement, and quoted the wrong post but it is also mentioned here earlier the Mach 1 is an S550 with stickers. See #3. They are trying to shove this car down our throats between those two and it doesnā€™t even come close. It is just my opinion. It is a close Bullitt with different colors and maybe a trick or two. I donā€™t mean to be offensive so I will back out, I am just waiting for the 2022 GT500.
Donā€™t back out. Nothing wrong with having an opinion. My comment was basically that I think the 21 Mach will stand the test of time better than the 03/04. I see why you and others have disappointment in this car. But as Iā€™ve said before I think a lot of that is based on what you think the car should have been as opposed to what Ford said the car would be.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
Donā€™t back out. Nothing wrong with having an opinion. My comment was basically that I think the 21 Mach will stand the test of time better than the 03/04. I see why you and others have disappointment in this car. But as Iā€™ve said before I think a lot of that is based on what you think the car should have been as opposed to what Ford said the car would be.
I agree the 21 will stand the test of time, even being followed up by the S650. because I doubt the S650 will be as much of a trend setter/upset as the S-197 was. It made the SN-95 New Edge cars obsolete, in capability and styling. The S650 will be fresh, but I do not think it will be leaps and bounds ahead of the S550.
Sponsored