Sponsored

Automatic Mustang Kangarooing (UK)

Mrninja13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Hello,

now that I got a bit more familiar with the mustang (a new 2021 automatic, UK spec) I started using it more often in S mode with the manual paddles.

I've noticed that in second and third gear, if I use about half throttle, the car starts kangarooing quite badly, going back and forth almost as if I was pressing and releasing the throttle.

It goes away if I quickly shift up, but it's quite annoying and it'll be good to know if it's normal behaviour or something can be done to make it go away.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Are you hitting the rev limiter?
What RPMs
I know you said half throttle.

OP
OP
Mrninja13

Mrninja13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Are you hitting the rev limiter?
What RPMs
I know you said half throttle.
Hi, it happens between 2k and 3k revs, so nowhere near the limiter.

It doesn't happen if I feather the throttle or fully put my foot down, only when I give it some gas to make it go but not pedal to the metal.

It feels like it would if it was hitting the limiter or the fuel supply was not smooth, though, juddering back and forth.

I wonder if a tune might smooth it out some.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
That doesn't sound right and I've not heard of that before...........I'd take to the dealer for inspection. Ideally, if they have a demo car (unlikely, as they're in short supply at the moment) take it for a spin and see if it's the same.......but I doubt it.

They may be able to reflash the g/box software. I wouldn't attempt a tune as that would complicate matters.

celica0774

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT convertible PP1
I've had various cars "buck" when my throttle foot gets jostled, like when going over a speed bump. Is the paddle shift jostling your foot?

Sponsored

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
It is likely throttle sensitivity, and how you are holding your foot. Throttle super sensitive and your foot is bouncing. I can make mine do it as well and others have complained about it in the transmission section on here.

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Does this happen when there is an upshift or downshift, or just when cruising in a gear at a constant speed?

As Andrewtac said, a "bucking" or "lunging" issue was recently discussed in the transmission forum (see link below, starting on p. 24). You might try holding your throttle foot in a different position. I think it's just because the throttle is very responsive in sport modes & low gears, so if you accidentally apply throttle pressure, or lift off, it can get jerky.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...o-harsh-or-no-shift-conditions.135463/page-24

OP
OP
Mrninja13

Mrninja13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
It happens when I hold a gear.

I think you guys are onto something with the throttle sensibility, it might be actually what happens

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
It happens when I hold a gear.

I think you guys are onto something with the throttle sensibility, it might be actually what happens
Put it in the winter mode so the pedal is desensitised to prove / disprove that theory :like:

WD :like:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Mrninja13

Mrninja13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
I had a quick ride during lunchtime, it does feel like the problem is indeed throttle sensibility + cold engine.

It didn't happen in normal mode (although it's a bit hard to hold a gear in that mode), but sport mode was miles better too, and today's 30C over here and the car sat in the sun all morning.

groove93

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay Brown
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium
This happened to me about 2 days ago. I've been using the Paddles a lot more now but I haven't been driving more aggressive. On one of the stops during my commute, there's a long straightaway that I would sometimes just let loose. This time around, as I'm upshifting to 2nd, the car just bucked like a horse ( :) ) about 4 times until just let off the gas. I immediately put the car into auto and everything was back to normal.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Hell, I've had drive-line jerk in manual cars.....it happens now and again.
Sponsored