Auto Shifter bezel to Manual?!

dvalera001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
So just to confirm you used the Shifter conversion from AM and then ordered the shifter boot from Ford? Did that boot come with a bezel? On that AM kit can you use a standard ball or is it a different size? I know it comes with a ball but thinking about getting a custom one made
I got the replacement shifter from AM. I bough the new bezel from Ford that came with a boot. There are different boot options, so be sure to check the descriptions. The AM shifter came with the ball, so not sure you can change that out or not since I didn’t try. I’m sure if there’s a will there’s a way. Good luck!

Geosh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
So just to confirm you used the Shifter conversion from AM and then ordered the shifter boot from Ford? Did that boot come with a bezel? On that AM kit can you use a standard ball or is it a different size? I know it comes with a ball but thinking about getting a custom one made
White Madness Garage makes one you can swap shifter balls on. Otherwise they are part of the shifter.

As for the boot: if you get a manual boot from Ford, it comes with the silver bezel that snaps in to the center console. Easy swap.

I did the universal shifter and use a cheap white Delrin shift knob.

331D9E35-67DF-4CF1-BAA9-E020867AFD3F.jpeg

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
I did the same as Josh. WM's kit (short shifter for me) and a ball I got from WC Lathewerks. Bought the cheapest manual shift boot/trim ring setup I could find, replaced the existing boot on it with another one, plastidipped the trim ring black and here we are.
AEF4CDEA-2C8E-4A40-9417-CF35843A9BCD.png

Sponsored

rapidredroush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Roush Rapid Red Mustang GT
I did the same as Josh. WM's kit (short shifter for me) and a ball I got from WC Lathewerks. Bought the cheapest manual shift boot/trim ring setup I could find, replaced the existing boot on it with another one, plastidipped the trim ring black and here we are.
AEF4CDEA-2C8E-4A40-9417-CF35843A9BCD.png
How difficult was it to cut down the piece to get that short shifter to work? I am a little nervous to go the short shifter route because of the cutting. They say it can be returned to stock, in your opinion could it go back stock ? Is the piece you had to cut metal or plastic?

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
How difficult was it to cut down the piece to get that short shifter to work? I am a little nervous to go the short shifter route because of the cutting. They say it can be returned to stock, in your opinion could it go back stock ? Is the piece you had to cut metal or plastic?
Hmmmmm. You could probably go back to stock because the OEM shifter squeezes the plastic piece which'll sticks up above the actual metal shaft. It'll just stick out further. The part you're cutting is metal. I used a hacksaw. It wasn't hard, but it requires a bit of elbow grease.

First pic on my insta shows what it looked like in the middle of cutting it.

rapidredroush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Hmmmmm. You could probably go back to stock because the OEM shifter squeezes the plastic piece which'll sticks up above the actual metal shaft. It'll just stick out further. The part you're cutting is metal. I used a hacksaw. It wasn't hard, but it requires a bit of elbow grease.

First pic on my insta shows what it looked like in the middle of cutting it.
Yeah I kind of figured that was the piece that needed to be cut. Are you happy with the choice of the shorty? Have you experienced any issues with the gear changes binding or anything?

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
Yeah I kind of figured that was the piece that needed to be cut. Are you happy with the choice of the shorty? Have you experienced any issues with the gear changes binding or anything?
Definitely happy with it. I think it looks much better. And no issues shifting either. It was "crunchy" a bit right after I did it cuz some of the metal shavings dropped down where the plastic rod goes, so I'd recommend a little vacuum as you're cutting. That's no longer an issue, but weird at first.

rapidredroush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Definitely happy with it. I think it looks much better. And no issues shifting either. It was "crunchy" a bit right after I did it cuz some of the metal shavings dropped down where the plastic rod goes, so I'd recommend a little vacuum as you're cutting. That's no longer an issue, but weird at first.
Thanks I think that is the route I am going to go. New boot and bezel already on order.

Sponsored

86pagt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dale
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
One of my most favorite mods... WMG, delin knob,OEM bezel and boot.

0320EB3D-F6BA-4B20-9AE4-7C62A47BFED5.jpeg

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto

rapidredroush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Well got it finished up. Went with standard conversion kit with custom ball from WM Garage. I did purchase the new manual boot but decided I did not want to rip apart both boots to make one so decided to leave it with stock bezel and boot. Plus I like the fact with the Roush ball it almost looks like something Roush might have done with the package.

the roush 26.jpg

the roush 27.jpg

the roush 28.jpg

the roush 29.jpg

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
Well got it finished up. Went with standard conversion kit with custom ball from WM Garage. I did purchase the new manual boot but decided I did not want to rip apart both boots to make one so decided to leave it with stock bezel and boot. Plus I like the fact with the Roush ball it almost looks like something Roush might have done with the package.
What do you mean rip apart? If you're just using the manual boot/trim ring you bought, you don't have to tear anything apart.

rapidredroush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
What do you mean rip apart? If you're just using the manual boot/trim ring you bought, you don't have to tear anything apart.
The Wm Shifter wont fit into the ring on the Manual boot. It is to big, the ring on the Auto boot is much bigger and comes with the adapter from WM to make it work. So you literally have to remove the trim ring from the auto boot and install on the manual boot. It does not look like a big deal I just wanted to keep everything where it could be put back to stock if I ever wanted without having to purchase another Auto boot. I hope that makes sense. :crazy:
Sponsored