LandDownUnder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
S550 and AMG GLA45
Hey guys,
About to go nuts on a big build S550 w/ a TH400 / Glide transmission.
Just wondering whats the best base to begin with ? Auto or a manual ?

I wont be technically using any of the electrics/looms/coolers etc from the 6R80 so was thinking the manual might be a better base donor car ?
The TH400/Glide will be independent and anything transmission will run through the aftermarket computer or its own.

Just seeing whats the general consensus from guys who have done a few conversions and whats going to be the easiest and cheapest route ?
I think the only problem using a manual would be tricking the computer into thinking it has a clutch, which im sure is easy enough to overcome.

TIA..
Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
We built a few drag cars a number of years ago and starting with an automatic was just less things to have to do and a better chance the transmission mount will fit. But realistically, it doesn't make a lot of difference.

NO1CARES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTPP 5.2 TH400
Manual will make it easier only because going to a th400, you need a manual harness and computer and it simply to unbolt the clutch pedal. You'll also be using a aftermarket shifter so no need for a stock unit.

OP
OP
LandDownUnder

LandDownUnder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
S550 and AMG GLA45
Appreciate the responses guys, ta.
I'm leaning towards the manual yes. For reasons above. The aftermarket computer will take over all things engine and a few guys like JPC etc make a straight fit th400 trans mount so that's all the easy parts I'm sure both auto and manual will have the same holes or bolts underneath somewhat.
The research continues, I really need to look underneath both.
Cheers
Sponsored