Auto mafia racing 2018 ported intake manifold

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
You don't have to race to access the performance increase. I don't drag race, it's my DD, and I find it completely worth it. The way it builds power is far better than the 15-17 manifold.

I really have to question why anyone is doing mods of any sort on this platform if you have no intent to rev it. It's a 32 valve, high flowing, TiVCT 5.0L. It is designed to be revved. This isn't an old big block with a big lump of torque and a low redline.
This x2. If doing mods, do mods that will accentuate the engine's best qualities, not improve its weakness at the expense of its biggest strength.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Is your 2018 intake ported?
Where do typically shift at?
No, not ported. When I'm having fun I shift at 7500-7600. Have shifted at 7800 sometimes too. Even if I'm shifting at lower RPM, it pulls very strong through 5000-6000. When you decide to let it rip though, it is very exciting.

Noggles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I'm not sure you know how to read a dyno chart if you find the gains below pitiful. That's 50 whp delta over 7000. Don't do NA modifications to the Coyote if you have no intention on driving it how it was designed to be.
IMG_20180223_8434.jpg
LOL. We're not part throttle racing here. Sure, if you're not going WOT or if you're short shifting all the time, yeah it wouldn't be worth it. But that makes no sense in a quest for performance gains anyway.

Measure acceleration at wide open throttle throughout the engine's usable range.. Not just the ones you want to use.

Besides, VMP basically told you (if you watch the video) how well the 2018 intake really performs. Besides the CJ it's probably the next best thing. They also dismissed the F-150 so quickly. They only did the comparison to appease the people.
I promise you both I can read dyno charts just fine. If you read the post by the OP that I quoted he said its basically a DD that he doesn't race much. While ultimately up to him, spend the time and money to do a swap that gains nothing down low over a stock intake doesn't seem worth it to me. Now if he does it and enjoys the high rpm gains during his seemingly rare visits there, then it wasn't wasted at all.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I promise you both I can read dyno charts just fine. If you read the post by the OP that I quoted he said its basically a DD that he doesn't race much. While ultimately up to him, spend the time and money to do a swap that gains nothing down low over a stock intake doesn't seem worth it to me. Now if he does it and enjoys the high rpm gains during his seemingly rare visits there, then it wasn't wasted at all.
If this is the case then I wouldn't do any performance mods at all. Now whether it's worth it based on the fact that it doesn't gain power down low - that's a different point altogether.

Noggles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
If this is the case then I wouldn't do any performance mods at all. Now whether it's worth it based on the fact that it doesn't gain power down low - that's a different point altogether.
That's ultimately up to him and what he wants to spend money on. I drive my car harder than a DD and I don't currently see the value in porting my intake.

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
That's ultimately up to him and what he wants to spend money on. I drive my car harder than a DD and I don't currently see the value in porting my intake.
That's different. But if you can show me another mod besides a tune that makes gains everywhere for a few hundred bucks let me know. People on here spend $1000-1500 on headers all the time that adds maybe 10-15 hp and tq. Next to that porting looks pretty good to me.

I gained 5 lbs/min more air w/ my ported 18 over the stock manifold. 44 vs 49. 49.5 lb/min at 7200rpm.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I would love to hear my engine at 8000 rpm. It's already crazy at 7k.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
What is actually ported on a plastic manifold?
Even though it's plastic, and the surfaces are smoother, with less casting aberrations - vs. metal - there's still some. So the photos I've seen, the porting smooths out seams, little bits of stray plastic, any kind of rough surface areas, flash around openings, etc. it's probably a good bit less of a difference vs. the porting you see on metal intakes (which was one of the perks of plastic, better flow with a mass produced part), but there's some improvements to be made.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
he said its basically a DD that he doesn't race much.
I don't think that precludes wanting more performance[?] Some people want their car to be faster than it was, not necessarily faster than other car A/B/C.

A daily driver, that's a performance car, still needs to be driven in a way to optimize the performance - just because you're driving home from work doesn't mean you can't have a couple of fun visits to 7600RPM :) Heck, if a DD means, you don't drive it like it was designed to be used, then why bother? Get a Prius ... :D

Noggles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I don't think that precludes wanting more performance[?] Some people want their car to be faster than it was, not necessarily faster than other car A/B/C.

A daily driver, that's a performance car, still needs to be driven in a way to optimize the performance - just because you're driving home from work doesn't mean you can't have a couple of fun visits to 7600RPM :) Heck, if a DD means, you don't drive it like it was designed to be used, then why bother? Get a Prius ... :D
I don't think that precludes wanting more, rather you have to look at what you are getting out of it. A few hundred dollars for extra power you only feel when revving to 7500 isn't as beneficial on a DD as a mod that picks up even half the power but over the entire rev range along with a sizeable bump in low end torque. Depending on his current level of mods maybe just a tune would do that for him. But if he is full exhaust, e85 tuned, and all the bolt ons, then this his last real mod proven to gain anything. If that's the case I can see the worth.

Think of it another way. I have wanted to mod my car since day one. I don't want to tune it until I get some miles on it so that's out right now. I want a catback but need to figure out which one I want but it doesn't add power. A CAI is about the only mod I can do at this point but they don't gain anything usable to me. I see the ported intake being the same way. Again, just my opinion.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure about you but when I'm driving normally in traffic I'm most often under 4000 rpm and under half throttle. Much more than that, and you're driving pretty aggressively for the street, some could argue dangerous (not that I don't do it occasionally, but that's the argument).

If you're driving aggressively/spirited, what's the problem with revving? I don't get it.

If someone wants a significantly more torquey NA 5.0 in the Mustang, go swap one of the truck engines in. It's got cams and manifold suited for making more torque. You'll lose a good amount of power, but you'll get the low end. Or, get it all and boost it.

Last edited:

bucsfan514

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT PP
Our intakes are ported by hand by our 2 full time porters in house here in Arcadia, FL in our warehouse next to our new shop. We have been porting the 18s since February of this year and have had great success with it and have several hundred out there being enjoyed by our customers currently. All of our intakes make amazing power and pull to 8k strongly. VMP did an awesome test showing the differences in the intakes.

We prefer to tune the cars with the lockouts installed as we sometimes see issues with the 18 IMRC running on the 15-17 cars and we 100% always delete them for boosted applications.

We tend to push ours a little deeper while still ensuring a quality port job that is smooth and polished for maximum flow. Each intake takes roughly a day to be ported and polished in a 4 step process and packaged up correctly.

We have sold hundreds and I can count on 1 hand the number of broken intakes we have seen. (Pretty sure the guy dropped it in his garage) But we still got him a new set of IMRC (thats all that broke) right away!

If you have any questions just feel free to holler at us on Facebook, on here, or at [email protected]

We have a Christmas deal going right now, and we offer the intakes with MMR Lockouts, or Pigtails.
Pricing starts at $500 shipped.
https://automafiaracing.com/product...d-unported-w-lock-outs?variant=12620015730711

these are VMP's results. We have some new ones coming once our new dyno is setup this spring.
vmp_test_large.jpg
Just bought one off of you guys, ported, with the lockouts. Hoping it arrives all in one piece! Couldn't turn that price down.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I am one of the ones who went the ported 2018 manifold route despite the fact that I don't race. I've never been to a dragstrip nor do I plan to. I have not visited the racetrack yet but I do plan to next spring and summer. So, strictly from a spirited daily driver perspective I feel it's worth it. The detractors will say that it's not worth because either 1) they don't like it or don't care and are using that to support their argument or 2) they don't care about using the engine how it's supposed to or 3) they're more concerned with part throttle racing.

Now I don't drive around everywhere and hit redline or go WOT. I'm not a light to light racer. I honestly don't care if a Camry gets the jump on me at a light lol. If I did I would just push the pedal down farther - that's what it's for. Redlining it everywhere in daily traffic would be driving too aggressively IMO and is not taking other driver's safety into account.

This part is for when you actually want to go fast. I.e. WOT to redline. The times that I get to do that, it is absolutely worth it! If 7000-7500 RPM in a high revving TiVCT V8 engine and the exhaust roaring doesn't make you tingle all over than you're missing the boat IMHO. The satisfaction is worth the price alone and I can think of mods that cost more that do less performance wise. When I rev it to 7000 rpm you can feel a big difference in how the car makes power.
Sponsored