Sponsored

Auto mafia racing 2018 ported intake manifold

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
Are the IMRC lockouts really required if you are N/A on a 93 octane tune or would I run into issues? I've considered doing this mod as my final engine mod since it's quite a bit better than the 15-17 manifold. I just want it to work without a power loss.
You’ll need to either lock them out or run the pigtails. It’s best to ask your tuner what they prefer as ultimately they’re the ones who will handle that stuff in the calibration.

Let us know if you have any questions. Always here to help.

Thanks
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Are the IMRC lockouts really required if you are N/A on a 93 octane tune or would I run into issues? I've considered doing this mod as my final engine mod since it's quite a bit better than the 15-17 manifold. I just want it to work without a power loss.
I'd strongly recommend locking out. I have this with my 93 tune and the drivability and power are fantastic.

mafiaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.AutoMafiaRacing.com
First Name
Kalob
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Mustang 3.7 V6
On a 15-17 car its really up to you. You can used lockouts/limiters, or you can use pigtails. We sell both of them with our 2018 intakes. Ask your tuner what they prefer. I prefer to tune with the lockouts.

OP
OP

8915GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Looking at that dyno graph on the shoot out vid, the stock manifold which performs identical to the truck manifold out performs the 2018 until 6500 RPM so unless you are racing it looks like a waste of money or am i missing something here?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Looking at that dyno graph on the shoot out vid, the stock manifold which performs identical to the truck manifold out performs the 2018 until 6500 RPM so unless you are racing it looks like a waste of money or am i missing something here?
They don't have the stock 15-17 manifold in that shootout. Ported vs non ported 2018 manifold on a 15-17 car is shown from the shootout. Second pic is 18 vs 15, same car, same mods (CAI, 93 tune, catback). There's a pretty big difference. The way it feels is poorly represented by the dyno graph. It feels much stronger from 4000-4500 on up. @Bluemustang. Third pic is my dyno chart.

Screenshot_2018-10-24-22-43-07.jpg
IMG_20180223_8434.jpg
1109181631.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP

8915GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
VMP stated in the comments section on the you tube link that the truck manifold and the stock 2015 manifold pretty much performed the same on dyno.
I'm not sure if it's worth it for a DD. I was thinking on getting a non ported 2018 intake but I really don't race much

Noggles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
VMP stated in the comments section on the you tube link that the truck manifold and the stock 2015 manifold pretty much performed the same on dyno.
I'm not sure if it's worth it for a DD. I was thinking on getting a non ported 2018 intake but I really don't race much
Judging by the dyno charts posted on page 1, I don't even think a 2018 intake is worth it. 30whp in an area you aren't normally in unless you are racing seems like a waste to me. Porting one is for sure a waste of money. I think its funny they are even suggested for the amount of time and money involved for such pitiful gains.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
@LethalPerformance or @mafiaboss ... kind of side question to the high revving NA setup discussion, but do either of you do installs, or can you recommend an installer for an aftermarket OPG/CG? I realize the MY18 I/M makes peak power in what many would still call the "no sweat" RPM range, but I still get a _tiny_ bit concerned knocking around in the 7500RPM area (currently tuned for a cutoff about there, but still, on rare occasion, bump the limiter).

Figured I'd ask both of you since you're in Florida, I'm up in the NE corner (St. Augustine).

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
You don't have to race to access the performance increase. I don't drag race, it's my DD, and I find it completely worth it. The way it builds power is far better than the 15-17 manifold.

I really have to question why anyone is doing mods of any sort on this platform if you have no intent to rev it. It's a 32 valve, high flowing, TiVCT 5.0L. It is designed to be revved. This isn't an old big block with a big lump of torque and a low redline.

The OPG is fine to 8000. It is the same as the GT350 OPG. You just need to set the limiter so you don't hit it. Mine is somewhere above 8000.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Judging by the dyno charts posted on page 1, I don't even think a 2018 intake is worth it. 30whp in an area you aren't normally in unless you are racing seems like a waste to me. Porting one is for sure a waste of money. I think its funny they are even suggested for the amount of time and money involved for such pitiful gains.
I'm not sure you know how to read a dyno chart if you find the gains below pitiful. That's 50 whp delta over 7000. Don't do NA modifications to the Coyote if you have no intention on driving it how it was designed to be.
IMG_20180223_8434.jpg

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
The OPG is fine to 8000. It is the same as the GT350 OPG. You just need to set the limiter so you don't hit it. Mine is somewhere above 8000.
Yeah, I realize actual failures are rare, I need to be aware of the limiter, set it with a safe buffer area - it's really just a POM sort of thing.

It's a 32 valve, high flowing, TiVCT 5.0L. It is designed to be revved.
Right? I love driving this car in the high RPM, heck around town I stay in the mid-RPM range.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I realize actual failures are rare, I need to be aware of the limiter, set it with a safe buffer area - it's really just a POM sort of thing.

Right? I love driving this car in the high RPM, heck around town I stay in the mid-RPM range.
Yeah I get that. NA I'm not worried. If boosted it'd go in during the blower install.

It's kinda weird to me that people are expecting a stump puller out of a 5.0L. The vast majority of the gains over the old 302 and 4.6L are from it breathing wayyy better. That breathing counts more the higher it revs.

OP
OP

8915GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
You don't have to race to access the performance increase. I don't drag race, it's my DD, and I find it completely worth it. The way it builds power is far better than the 15-17 manifold.

I really have to question why anyone is doing mods of any sort on this platform if you have no intent to rev it. It's a 32 valve, high flowing, TiVCT 5.0L. It is designed to be revved. This isn't an old big block with a big lump of torque and a low redline.

Is your 2018 intake ported?
Where do typically shift at?

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
You're looking at this the wrong way. Assuming you are running the stock manifold or the F-150 manifold, by the time you shift you already giving up power anyway.

The way I look at it is this: ideally you want to complement the engine with the right manifold. This engine likes to rev. It's not a low end TQ monster and it really shines up top past 5000 rpms and on. It makes little sense to get an extra 40/50 ft/lbs of torque down low to sacrifice hugely up top just so you can pass Camrys and Accords and similar cars on the road. This car already has enough power stock to do that. When you go WOT you will be into the upper RPMs very quickly and after that it's all over. The 18 manifold will blow away the stock manifold and especially the F-150 manifold at that point. The stock 15-17 manifold is good. The 18 manifold is better.

If you look at @BmacIL 's dyno graph in the picture at the bottom, you'll see the from 5500 rpm up to 7500 its over 400 whp the entire time. That's some pretty good meat in the powerband there. Where the stock manifold would fall off quite significantly the 18 manifold keep going without dropping off much at all.

I can tell you from doing it on my car that there's a pretty significant difference after 4000-4500 rpm. It pulls hard and power keeps rising. Right around 6500-7000 rpm it feels like it hits another level. I think you have to ride in it to understand what I'm talking about. The first time I took a ride in Bmac's car I said holy shit. Hell yeah you notice it.

Point is it makes it a faster car, when you actually need to go fast. Taking it to or past redline with this manifold will reward you and by the time you're in the next gear you're still in the meat of the powerband. I didn't notice the drop off of the stock manifold to be honest until I made the swap.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
LOL. We're not part throttle racing here. Sure, if you're not going WOT or if you're short shifting all the time, yeah it wouldn't be worth it. But that makes no sense in a quest for performance gains anyway.

Measure acceleration at wide open throttle throughout the engine's usable range.. Not just the ones you want to use.

Besides, VMP basically told you (if you watch the video) how well the 2018 intake really performs. Besides the CJ it's probably the next best thing. They also dismissed the F-150 so quickly. They only did the comparison to appease the people.
Sponsored