Sponsored

Aussie Mustang - Oil change warning

Erez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White Platinum GT Manual
Message came up at 5,500, after the oil was changed at the 3,000 service back in January.
I think I will reset it and wait for the next service in December...
Sponsored

steerage250

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback, 1928 Model A Ford
Message came up at 5,500, after the oil was changed at the 3,000 service back in January.
I think I will reset it and wait for the next service in December...
absolutely. They obviously didn't reset the oil service life because even though it crops-up seemingly far too quickly, I think 2,500kms is definitely silly.

Erez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White Platinum GT Manual
They did reset it, I remember checking, but looks like the "intelligent oil monitoring" system is not that intelligent after all...

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
They did reset it, I remember checking, but looks like the "intelligent oil monitoring" system is not that intelligent after all...
I strongly suspect that the primary purpose of this system is to allow Ford to extract as much cash as possible from the unsuspecting and to divert said cash into their stealership's coffers.

They got me once.............never again!

I'll go by the sticker on the windscreen from now on.

4stanger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garry
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Mustang Fastback Race Red
Changed the oil at home on the EcoBoost today, No issues and no problems with accessing the oil filter,
it was annoying though, the length of the thread on the sump bolt as one unscrews this waiting for the gush of old sump oil to pour out :)
Repco currently have the Valvoline Synpower FE 5w/30 in their Catalogue for $49.99 for the 5 litre, 2 x bottles were just enough for the son's EcoBoost Falcon (4.3 litres) and my Mustang (5.7 litres) ;)
IMG_0447[1].jpg
IMG_0448[1].jpg
IMG_0450[1].jpg
IMG_0449[1].jpg

Sponsored

4stanger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garry
Vehicle(s)
how did you get the car onto your home made ramps
Drive up.
50mm each step (3) what you see in the photo is a loose removable chock behind the front wheel.

Still not much room under there as the sump plug on the EcoBoost is at the extreme rear of the engine and a long way moving in from the front.

Last edited:

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
I checked my Oil Life today and the indicator said 64%...after 2,000 kms. I am doing an oil change next week anyway, but this seems like one of those annoying features that's best to just ignore.

4stanger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garry
Vehicle(s)
Heads up!
Supercheap have 50% off Valvoline oil this week end only.
I purchased Mustang compatible (V8 & EB) Valvoline Synpower FE 5w 30 for $30.74 each. Limited 2 per customer.
I bought 2 bottles ;)

12baller12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ciaran
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT Fastback
Vehicle Showcase
Heads up!
Supercheap have 50% off Valvoline oil this week end only.
I purchased Mustang compatible (V8 & EB) Valvoline Synpower FE 5w 30 for $30.74 each. Limited 2 per customer.
I bought 2 bottles ;)
Thanks for the heads up. I've been waiting for this to come on sale for my first oil change!

Sponsored

DerekSmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
GT 6MT, Falcon FGX XR6 Ute & Focus ST
anyone out there changed the oil filter on a RHD GT yet? I have LOL.

I did mine at 1000ks and what a task. No access through the drop down panel, so off with the left wheel and pulled the alternator shield out and up over the ARB to get in there, ended up taking the whole alternator cover / shield thing out in the end.
looks like the electric power steering pump thing is in the way and some effort has been made by the engineering team to put an oil spill shield over that so the oil out of the filter can be channelled away, pretty average really, someone might come up with a filter
relocation kit...hopefully

correct filter cup socket, flex head ratchet, small hands, long thin arms, removable and relocatable eye balls all needed.

DerekSmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
GT 6MT, Falcon FGX XR6 Ute & Focus ST
not 5W-20 but this is what I am using as it works in my Focus ST and FGX XR6 Ute
heard all sorts of reasons why I should use 5W-20 and not 5W-30
the spec 5W-30 shown here only available in 60L or bigger drums in NZ so thats how I do it and its pretty good price wise, last time worked out at 10 bucks a litre

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
That's the stuff the dealers use here I understand. Same as Magnatec Stop Start we can buy off the shelf IIRC.

Myke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
anyone out there changed the oil filter on a RHD GT yet? I have LOL.

I did mine at 1000ks and what a task. No access through the drop down panel, so off with the left wheel and pulled the alternator shield out and up over the ARB to get in there, ended up taking the whole alternator cover / shield thing out in the end.
looks like the electric power steering pump thing is in the way and some effort has been made by the engineering team to put an oil spill shield over that so the oil out of the filter can be channelled away, pretty average really, someone might come up with a filter
relocation kit...hopefully

correct filter cup socket, flex head ratchet, small hands, long thin arms, removable and relocatable eye balls all needed.
Yeah I did mine. Luckily didn't have to touch the alternator bits. But wheel yes.

Was just able to get enough grip to twist it by dislocation all joints in my hand!

Hopefully the mechanic doesn't over tighten it at service otherwise it's going to be tough - however I was thinking... once the oil is drained, you could drill a hole in the filter and use a screwdriver to twist it. Once loose it should turn out with minimal grip...
Sponsored