Aussie Exhausts

KermiStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT N4G
Thanks AJ or is it Al, can't tell. There are a couple of vids around with the latest I saw on page 22 of the US forum "Exhaust note video list". His however has aftermarket mufflers on the back. There was another long vid. of a 2019 Bullitt with the Switchfire.
Once again best heard via headphones and certainly this one is not a raspy X pipe as some suggest of X pipes.
I’ll have a look for the Bullitt one
Cheers
AJ
Sponsored

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
Just to add to this thread I am waiting on a set of 1 and 3/4 ARH headers from Fred now for my 17 GT. The headers are available however the drive shaft I have also ordered won't be in country til the end of the month. The headers will be mated to a AWE 3 inch exhaust - H pipe rather than X pipe for a deeper exhaust note (apparently). The advice from Fred is that I should not need a tune. Instal (professional here in Canberra) and pics to follow.
Hi Paul. Can I ask why you chose the American Racing Headers as opposed to maybe Pacemaker or other cheaper offering. Sincere question as extractors might be in my future.

Bagration

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT delivered 8 May 17
Hi Paul. Can I ask why you chose the American Racing Headers as opposed to maybe Pacemaker or other cheaper offering. Sincere question as extractors might be in my future.
So it was a combination of things really. I had looked at the materials used in the ARH versus others and it seemed to me that the metallurgy was better than some. I also was concerned about the tune aspect (I don't know enough about tuning the car and the options) and the ARH are a no tune option which if you have to do a tune at the same time adds $1K (or more dependant upon the tuner).

At the time I also heard a set of high flow pacemaker headers fitted to a Falcon (remember those? :-) ) and they were Loud. Louder than I was comfortable with. I know it is apples and oranges and with no disrespect to those who have chosen the pacemaker kit (the workshop spoke very highly of them), I wasn't comfortable going that pathway.

I had originally intended to get the Kooks headers but these were marginally more expensive and there were concerns I think regarding fitment to my aftermarket exhaust by AWE. There is no such concern with the AR offering. It's worth noting that if you want to hear how the car sounds (or would sound - go to the AWE site and listen because their mule car runs the AR headers with their touring exhaust.) Beautiful sound to me anyway.

Finally I had a good chat to Fred at American speed and yes I accept that he sells them but I had been a good customer of his over the project and he had not sold me wrong on any other product (and I've bought a fair bit from him).

Finally finally this is a car for 20 years and as they say at Ferrari 'price is forgotten long after quality is remembered.'

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
So it was a combination of things really. I had looked at the materials used in the ARH versus others and it seemed to me that the metallurgy was better than some. I also was concerned about the tune aspect (I don't know enough about tuning the car and the options) and the ARH are a no tune option which if you have to do a tune at the same time adds $1K (or more dependant upon the tuner).

At the time I also heard a set of high flow pacemaker headers fitted to a Falcon (remember those? :-) ) and they were Loud. Louder than I was comfortable with. I know it is apples and oranges and with no disrespect to those who have chosen the pacemaker kit (the workshop spoke very highly of them), I wasn't comfortable going that pathway.

I had originally intended to get the Kooks headers but these were marginally more expensive and there were concerns I think regarding fitment to my aftermarket exhaust by AWE. There is no such concern with the AR offering. It's worth noting that if you want to hear how the car sounds (or would sound - go to the AWE site and listen because their mule car runs the AR headers with their touring exhaust.) Beautiful sound to me anyway.

Finally I had a good chat to Fred at American speed and yes I accept that he sells them but I had been a good customer of his over the project and he had not sold me wrong on any other product (and I've bought a fair bit from him).

Finally finally this is a car for 20 years and as they say at Ferrari 'price is forgotten long after quality is remembered.'
Thanks Paul. This gives me something to think about.

KermiStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT N4G

Thanks Paul. Peter I’ve nearly arrived at the same conclusion.
A few points.

It’s the ARH's with the more expensive “Green Cat” option that does not require a tune. They do have a more normal cat option that is less expensive, but will require a tune. I “believe” this is similar for the Kooks, i.e. two cat options, but the Kooks are still even more expensive than the ARH. This steel on either will outlast the car.

There is an interesting video on the Green Cats further back in this forum that is definitely worth watching and researching more. They definitely will last a lot longer on an NA car (or boosted) than some of the cheap cats on Chinese made systems, and for my car at least, I’ll pay more for quality now to resist potential damage to the engine if the cheap cats fall apart. I too have used pacemaker on old fords and Genie SS on Commodore. Both were good quality. I don’t think they make 2019 Mustang headers in 304 SS. If they did I would definitely have a look at them. As for the Chinese made ones, I’m just not interested for a bunch of reasons that don't need to be aired here.

Sponsored

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
Thanks Paul. Peter I’ve nearly arrived at the same conclusion.
A few points.

It’s the ARH's with the more expensive “Green Cat” option that does not require a tune. They do have a more normal cat option that is less expensive, but will require a tune. I “believe” this is similar for the Kooks, i.e. two cat options, but the Kooks are still even more expensive than the ARH. This steel on either will outlast the car.

There is an interesting video on the Green Cats further back in this forum that is definitely worth watching and researching more. They definitely will last a lot longer on an NA car (or boosted) than some of the cheap cats on Chinese made systems, and for my car at least, I’ll pay more for quality now to resist potential damage to the engine if the cheap cats fall apart. I too have used pacemaker on old fords and Genie SS on Commodore. Both were good quality. I don’t think they make 2019 Mustang headers in 304 SS. If they did I would definitely have a look at them. As for the Chinese made ones, I’m just not interested for a bunch of reasons that don't need to be aired here.
Well likely AJ you will have your extractors before me so make sure you post some clips of yours combined with the SwitchFire.

KermiStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT N4G
Well likely AJ you will have your extractors before me so make sure you post some clips of yours combined with the SwitchFire.
Ha. At the rate I get time to install stuff it may be close. Kermi’ goes up on jacks in two weeks. Not sure when it comes back off...

Reactions: PKs

FIXR7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
'93 Range Rover Rogue 351 powered, '17 Ruby GT, '99 XH V8-S ute, '69 Mercury Cougar XR7 S-code, '96 XH Ex-pork van
Vehicle Showcase
G'day Kermi,
I got them from Fred yes. I ceramic coated them with the grey finish because the shiny ceramic seems to go off anyway(i think because of the aluminium content) and I used the cats that come with them.
Yes I've got a CEL but it's actually because one aftercat HEGO wire got broken and because it's not Pre-cat I don't care :)
I've got HP-tuners gear and an N-gauge so mine is already tuned and I've also got the GT350 top end on it so of course I need that. So I sold that Airaid thingy.
I've since added two 14" Hurricane resonators before the X which took that horrible raspy edge off it and now it's not so loud and sounds really good. People have commented it sound like a V8Supercar when i'm up it.
IMG_7145.JPG
IMG_8310.JPG

KermiStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT N4G
G'day Kermi,
I got them from Fred yes. I ceramic coated them with the grey finish because the shiny ceramic seems to go off anyway(i think because of the aluminium content) and I used the cats that come with them.
Yes I've got a CEL but it's actually because one aftercat HEGO wire got broken and because it's not Pre-cat I don't care :)
I've got HP-tuners gear and an N-gauge so mine is already tuned and I've also got the GT350 top end on it so of course I need that. So I sold that Airaid thingy.
I've since added two 14" Hurricane resonators before the X which took that horrible raspy edge off it and now it's not so loud and sounds really good. People have commented it sound like a V8Supercar when i'm up it.
IMG_7145.JPG
IMG_8310.JPG
Nice FIXR7! What exhaust have you got after the X-Pipe?

FIXR7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
'93 Range Rover Rogue 351 powered, '17 Ruby GT, '99 XH V8-S ute, '69 Mercury Cougar XR7 S-code, '96 XH Ex-pork van
Vehicle Showcase
It's an Invidia Q300 2.75" 304ss job. These are beautifully made. Investment cast stainless steel flanges and very nice stainless tube(not thin shit). I have to say I was blown away by how good the quality and fit is! They sound great as a cat back too(almost no raspy shit) but simply too loud with headers as I discovered.

Sponsored

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
I had the car tuned last week after doing the Pacemaker 1 3/4" headers, 3" mid-pipe and resonators (also Pacemaker) blended to the stock rear mufflers.

How does it sound? I was naively hoping it would sound mostly stock but it's far from that. Mostly I quite like it, not too intrusive once it's warmed up (that makes a surprising difference). When you get on it there's an aggressive rasp about it that reminds me of something from the 70's.

I do think I will eventually change the rear mufflers but I'll decide later. At the moment I'm tossing up between doing the sensible thing and adding the Pacemaker ones designed for the system or using the variable Varex mufflers. I'll listen to some before deciding.

Power wise, there's a significant increase in torque in the mid-range and the car drives exceptionally well with a very linear power delivery. My first decent drive along some open roads Sunday was hampered by rain unfortunately.

C50C139C-FDDC-41CF-A78D-7F266C470A85.jpeg

Red curve headers / exhaust only, blue after tune. Ultimately top end strangled by OEM mufflers but mid range enhanced. Would have been interesting to see the standard exhaust and tune only line for this car, on this dyno.

Last edited:

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Good to see it drives well. That's a very healthy increase in the mid range. If you have the inclination get them to quickly drop the rear mufflers and run it again, if it's performance you're after the restriction from the stockers may not be that severe.

I'd wager non variable mufflers will be artillery deafness levels of loud.

KermiStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT N4G
Gee those power and tq numbers around 3k under the curve are very nice for drivability.

FIXR7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
G'day Lads,
I'll be heading to the Collie track for a private caning session this week. I'll try to stick a camera in it so you can hear what it sounds like when having it's neck wrung.

FIXR7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here ya go. Man I had lots of fun! The other guys there were saying it sounded unreal! They reckon they'd be happy just to listen all day :)
https://youtu.be/xjYqoF78weQ
Sponsored