Aussie Exhausts

KermiStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT N4G
Just to add to this thread I am waiting on a set of 1 and 3/4 ARH headers from Fred now for my 17 GT. The headers are available however the drive shaft I have also ordered won't be in country til the end of the month. The headers will be mated to a AWE 3 inch exhaust - H pipe rather than X pipe for a deeper exhaust note (apparently). The advice from Fred is that I should not need a tune. Instal (professional here in Canberra) and pics to follow.
Cheers. Not looked at the AWE exhaust so looking fwd to seeing your build. Yep tons of YouTube videos on X vs H. Iā€™ve listened to lots. My view is the H is deep old school BIG V8 rumble sound, where X is higher pitch hi Rev euro raspy sound, but still with some element of big V8 down low Rev. Itā€™s all personal preference. Lots of arguments LOL. Itā€™s what you like.
Sponsored

KermiStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT N4G
Thaks for the information, I will call Fri. Waldial
I got a set for my 19 GT. Not had a chance to put them on yet, but hope to soon. Looking forward to PKā€™s audio and video āœ…. I got my switchfire from Fred at the same deal. He has great advice and a wealth of knowledge. I asked the same questions on why it does not fit other rear systems and after looking at Borlas instructions, seeing the size of the real thing, and looking at a lot of pics and videos of other manufacturers (and Borlas own) CatBack systems, you can see the size of the switch fire is long and has the rear bends to suit the factory CatBack in place of the OEM resonator. Iā€™ve been looking at A LOT of headers and CatBacks and asking a lot of questions on who's will easily fit others without modification. Iā€™m a fan of the OEM active ā€œafter resonatorā€ system. It can really drown the db's for not waking up the households whereas the straight through aftermarket mufflers even with active are usually louder even in quiet mode. I'm considering another option. Iā€™m looking at headers now for the performance increase, but from what Iā€™ve been reading/watching it seems the addition of a full new CatBack system wonā€™t add that much to the NA cars performance. Itā€™s going to come from the headers and some from removal of the restrictive OEM resonator. Since some or all of the header brands coming out at 3ā€ have reducers from 3ā€ to the OEM tube size and length to match the start of the OEM system where the resonator starts. My consideration is for now to put the 1 3/4ā€ to 3ā€ headers (brand TBD) to the Switchfire (replaces the OEM resonator) and then maintaining the OEM system back through the OEM active mufflers. No doubt it will be louder with the new headers and OEM resonator delete but hopefully on quiet it will be ok after the cold start. Curious if anyone else has this or thought of it.

KermiStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT N4G
To add to the questions on headers comparisons :

Streetfighter tuned length and tuned firing order headers.

When our engineers at Streetfighter developed headers for the S550 GT Mustangs , our criteria was to manufacture an end product that would be on a world stage and be equal to or improve on all the U.S offerings available.

With the very limited space available (especially on the right hand engine bank) , the task of designing headers that would best scavenge exhaust gases and promote optimum performance was tedious. Our Australian delivered RHD vehicle has the starter motor on the right hand bank as well as the steering shaft on the right hand bank. The left hand bank was spacious in comparison.

This meant that the task of developing the very best possible tuned length and tuned firing order header for the right bank was more than tedious it was also challenging. With all this came the consideration of fitment. It could not just be made to fit in situ., it required design to be able to be fitted and removed on car as best possible.

Keep in mind the U.S companies had much more room to work on the LHD vehicle with the starter on the right hand bank and the steering shaft on the left hand bank. Space was shared evenly, making design and fitment a lot easier.

Our final product was the first RHD S550 Mustang header in the world .It has now been on RHD Mustangs in Australia, New Zealand and Great Britain for close to 4 years.

To achieve the optimum performance and sound Streetfighter designed a RHD header for the GT Mustang that utilised 4 important criteriaā€™s not seen on many headers available for the RHD Mustang;

1) Tuned Firing order (TFO)

2) Tuned length runners

3) Spiral cone collector

4) Ceramic coated, mild steel runners for thermal resistance./ improved scavenging.

All the 4 criterias allow Streetfighter to offer one of the very best header systems in the world for your S550 Mustang.
Thanks for your input and explanation of the header design and build. Iā€™ve looked on your website however it has a distinct lack of hires closeups of your Bi Modal full exhaust for 18-20 GT's? X Pipe, mid pipe resonators, mufflers from the rear and top showing the tips and OEM valve attachment points, and header mount flanges and porting.

Iā€™ve seen a few pics on AUS ford forums but not what I was after. Also do you have any late car dyno graphs for pre and post fit on the 18+ GT's? Again Iā€™ve seen for the earlier cars but not later ones.

Thanks. Very happy to look at made in AUS, but would first like to compare ā€œapples with applesā€ with real data, without wasting time tramping to a limited dealer network.

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
I got a set for my 19 GT. Not had a chance to put them on yet, but hope to soon. Looking forward to PKā€™s audio and video āœ…. I got my switchfire from Fred at the same deal. He has great advice and a wealth of knowledge. I asked the same questions on why it does not fit other rear systems and after looking at Borlas instructions, seeing the size of the real thing, and looking at a lot of pics and videos of other manufacturers (and Borlas own) CatBack systems, you can see the size of the switch fire is long and has the rear bends to suit the factory CatBack in place of the OEM resonator. Iā€™ve been looking at A LOT of headers and CatBacks and asking a lot of questions on who's will easily fit others without modification. Iā€™m a fan of the OEM active ā€œafter resonatorā€ system. It can really drown the db's for not waking up the households whereas the straight through aftermarket mufflers even with active are usually louder even in quiet mode. I'm considering another option. Iā€™m looking at headers now for the performance increase, but from what Iā€™ve been reading/watching it seems the addition of a full new CatBack system wonā€™t add that much to the NA cars performance. Itā€™s going to come from the headers and some from removal of the restrictive OEM resonator. Since some or all of the header brands coming out at 3ā€ have reducers from 3ā€ to the OEM tube size and length to match the start of the OEM system where the resonator starts. My consideration is for now to put the 1 3/4ā€ to 3ā€ headers (brand TBD) to the Switchfire (replaces the OEM resonator) and then maintaining the OEM system back through the OEM active mufflers. No doubt it will be louder with the new headers and OEM resonator delete but hopefully on quiet it will be ok after the cold start. Curious if anyone else has this or thought of it.
Funny I was just emailing Fred yesterday about extractors onto my Switchfire X pipe. Apparently the ARH just fit right on. I too would retain the rest of the OEM from the X back. Bit of an investment for those extractors though so it might take me a while to get around to it.
As for the audio I better get that done soon.

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
I was keen to support local manufacturing and businesses for my headers and exhaust.

$790- for the Pacemaker headers, $600- for the hi-flow cats and connecting pipe, and $495- for the centre section with resonators. I also did ceramic coating for $500-. All made here in Adelaide.

Youā€™ll see from my earlier post, I had it mated to my OE rear mufflers (ā€˜15) but I suspect Iā€™ll change these later.

Tune happens next week but no CEL yet.

Sponsored

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
What's it like to drive Michael? Performance and noise (you said it was 'good' louder)?

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
What's it like to drive Michael? Performance and noise (you said it was 'good' louder)?
It's been quite wet here in Adelaide and I haven't driven my somewhat 'Garage Princess', as much, but I can tell it needs less throttle input than before and wants to go. I was a bit shocked how much louder it is but each time I drive it either I'm getting used to it or the exhaust is seasoning. There is a nice burble in the over run.

The weekend looks fine so I'll get out then and once it's tuned next week, I can really go for it.

KermiStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT N4G
Funny I was just emailing Fred yesterday about extractors onto my Switchfire X pipe. Apparently the ARH just fit right on. I too would retain the rest of the OEM from the X back. Bit of an investment for those extractors though so it might take me a while to get around to it.
As for the audio I better get that done soon.
Sweet PK. So glad someone is thinking the same way. I too have discussed some of this with Fred yesterday and heā€™s going to send me pics of all the 3ā€ to reducers or 3ā€ to 3ā€ adapters for other aftermarket CatBacks that come with their Kooks or ARH headers. (Just to be sure and to have them if I ever do decide to do the new CatBack, which I may )
I hear you about the cost... hereā€™s hoping the AUS $ keeps going up. Iā€™ve travelled to a lot and lived in the US over the years, and been there when the AUD was .49 and also when it was 1.05 (against the US pesos at the time LOL). I wish we were closer to the later exchange rate when I want to buy US car parts....

Reā€™ the cost of the Cats, I only just saw that video posted about good quality vs poor quality cats and the potential life span and/or implications on the car and future costs. It definitely gets you thinking....

KermiStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT N4G
Fair enough, I'm don't miss Adelaide winters. Before and after dyno results will be really interesting.
+1. and thanks ozS550 . Dyno figures incā€™ day temps and humidIty and full dyno setups are very welcome. Seat of the pants brings the smiles but seeing the real numbers versus investment helps guide good decisions.

Sponsored

Bagration

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT delivered 8 May 17
Cheers. Not looked at the AWE exhaust so looking fwd to seeing your build. Yep tons of YouTube videos on X vs H. Iā€™ve listened to lots. My view is the H is deep old school BIG V8 rumble sound, where X is higher pitch hi Rev euro raspy sound, but still with some element of big V8 down low Rev. Itā€™s all personal preference. Lots of arguments LOL. Itā€™s what you like.
If you go back through this topic you should see some pics of the system. It gives a nice rumble and 18 months on it is performing very nicely indeed. Not the cheapest system in the world, but comparable to Corsa and Borla and certainly as well made as these 'lead' Mustang brands. I tend to think that you get what you pay for (plus or minus the horrible exchange rate...). If you go on the AWE site the mustang that is their test mule is fitted with ARH. And yes X versus H pipe is one of the best pub arguments ever.

KermiStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT N4G
If you go back through this topic you should see some pics of the system. It gives a nice rumble and 18 months on it is performing very nicely indeed. Not the cheapest system in the world, but comparable to Corsa and Borla and certainly as well made as these 'lead' Mustang brands. I tend to think that you get what you pay for (plus or minus the horrible exchange rate...). If you go on the AWE site the mustang that is their test mule is fitted with ARH. And yes X versus H pipe is one of the best pub arguments ever.
Thanks Paul. I checked AWE out but they donā€™t do an active rear muffler for the 18+. Pitty as the quality sure seems to be there.

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
Well I finally got around to making a "Slow TV" of my Borla SwitchFire. I did both vids with the car in Sport+. There are a couple of little squirts but most of the route was 60 kph so I behaved. It sounds best with headphones if you are interested.

KermiStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT N4G
Well I finally got around to making a "Slow TV" of my Borla SwitchFire. I did both vids with the car in Sport+. There are a couple of little squirts but most of the route was 60 kph so I behaved. It sounds best with headphones if you are interested.

Thanks Pk. Thatā€™s a sweet sound. Thatā€™s probably the only one on YouTube. Hard to find. Borla should provide you an axle back for helping them out. It motivates me to find time to do mine. OBTW that colour is insane. Itā€™s the same properties as my N4G (but in ) i.e. seems to dramatically change with light intensity.
Thanks again for doing this. Greatly appreciated.

Reactions: PKs

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
Thanks Pk. Thatā€™s a sweet sound. Thatā€™s probably the only one on YouTube. Hard to find. Borla should provide you an axle back for helping them out. It motivates me to find time to do mine. OBTW that colour is insane. Itā€™s the same properties as my N4G (but in ) i.e. seems to dramatically change with light intensity.
Thanks again for doing this. Greatly appreciated.
Thanks AJ or is it Al, can't tell. There are a couple of vids around with the latest I saw on page 22 of the US forum "Exhaust note video list". His however has aftermarket mufflers on the back. There was another long vid. of a 2019 Bullitt with the Switchfire.
Once again best heard via headphones and certainly this one is not a raspy X pipe as some suggest of X pipes.
Sponsored

Last edited: