Sponsored

Aussie Ebay (TOG) headers

brad1601

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT auto Grabber Blue
So I've been tossing up the idea of putting headers on the mustang for a while now and I had noticed after browsing through the main part of the forum the American's have had some success with the "cheap" eBay headers, Maximizer is one of the brands I think. Anyway, I thought I'd have another look around to see if the Chinese had started making cheaper headers for RHD Mustang's yet (there was nothing last time I'd looked), sure enough I found these "TOG" headers listed for RHD mustangs selling for a great price. I did a bit of googling and found nothing on them in regards to their Mustang headers... but for the price (I paid $595 with eBay discounts) I though, why not! I'll give them a go. So that's where this post comes in... hopefully it will provide some information of help anyone who decides they want to go this route :)

So without further ado, here is some photos them when I first got them. To me the welds all looked great and I couldn't see any issues, however I'm no welding expert.
Yi1m4IBCZbAM0EjWDp_S-VBJV-SeQ1KhQ0X1RHPBHwftrxSwxMdR1Ja56FEP93PF9GEUik7ERLm4nQ1IxA=w747-h1326-no.jpg

i6v-mdzyEozJ5mGzg3DlO1CLWKDDgIWN18wpHRmhaxSLwxPh3ZdaUyJ0vfld1NLhEDLhoERm39aM8Wa5Q=w2357-h1326-no.jpg

vOTZ7Lx_HE_DOg7QNsANu0u23W2EFVmp_Tqxn-RJEHBX1WNvvsoLCPa6Yg4Rrh_JtebT-w7v5tQodK3GEw=w747-h1326-no.jpg

So after checking them over and everything looking good I decided I may as well get them ceramic coated, this is completely optional (the stock headers aren't coated) but it does help to keep the heat out of the engine bay.

After I got them back from ceramic coating it was time to get them on, so last weekend with the help of my father in law and his hoist we did the install.

Install:

The installation is a pain in the butt, just like all headers for the S550 mustangs, but there were a couple of small issues we found with these headers whilst doing the installation, but I'll detail them here so it will make it all pretty straightforward for anyone reading this.

The first issue we found was that the bottom bolt on the passenger side header furthermost to the rear of the car wouldn't fit into it's hole on the flange, no way, no how, the pipe just bends around too close. So that meant taking the header off again and slotting that hole, no big deal at all if we had of known about it previously, but it probably added an hour of stuffing around taking it back off and putting it back on again to get back to where we were up to. so take note and make sure you get your grinder and turn that hole into a slot.

The second issue and the one that was difficult to rectify for me, due to not noticing till the installation was completed, was the lack of clearance between one of the pipes on the drivers side header and the steering shaft. This seems to require nearly 10mm clearance with the torque movement of the motor to not touch and feel vibration through the steering wheel, it had about 1mm. This wouldn't have been a big deal at all if we had of known before they were on that we needed to dimple the pipe there, but once they were on it's taken a fair bit of stuffing around with big levers etc to gain some clearance there just due to access. So for this I recommend putting it in without bolting it up, marking the spot where the steering shaft is going to need clearance and then taking them out and dimpling the pipe, plenty of tutorials on the net of how to do that with the headers off the car. I'd go more rather than less as it doesn't effect performance having a dent in the header like that.

So how do they go?

Incredibly well in my opinion! I've got a Lund tune and a Borla touring cat back which i had an exhaust shop weld up to the new headers ($200) and it sounds awesome and has very noticeably faster pick up from about 2500RPM and that's coming from someone that quite often doesn't really notice the difference small mods make, so I'd say these are making quite significant gains.

So how do they sound?
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/G...nlPoLLIsz&c=WEB_EMBEDDED_PLAYER&cver=20181129

TLDR?

They go great. Install is a pain like all headers. You need to slot one of the holes on the passenger header and dent one of the pipes on the drivers side header to make extra clearance for the steering shaft. Bargain for $595.

Some Install photos:
aADBKG4RAHFz58NQnGM0k8R3PqRFbzyYzkUjAJcRT1nZRU_9mmU3-pVe9N_OEE_c5cMNk4I9zMN7r5Pgg=w2357-h1326-no.jpg

pgE1Ny9vwgSs52yh6tRt4V4muK0QQQ1aFDLnhLuO9VSXbiSTLxo-lpG5B7IiIJoaZjTtEeOHXx66g24J_w=w747-h1326-no.jpg

5Y2Eo3Nrv1DQ559DpZ7J2VeQVDH32Glqy32Bkyt9iMWVHUaLfORZnkTpnp5ddSX9dkEDDG22lEhB755cjk=w747-h1326-no.jpg

CzGYaBraQJUSRr_RqLko4M52-HRUd7VJi3SiczJgPOwta34K8T26yvuVrJNz5XWDllJYMbpXq90gkM_EwQ=w747-h1326-no.jpg

CkhDja6SIj5MTiIJNbjdCIBWUmmsxloeffVvJXmQHpl1MysXjRiRqDMlEpunoBCBawFjGS-t9u6cFMnNmw=w747-h1326-no.jpg

Sponsored

Last edited:

Aubrey

GT4949
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Planning the next one!
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info, I’ve been looking at these as well. Did you not put in cats?

OP
OP

brad1601

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the info, I’ve been looking at these as well. Did you not put in cats?
No problem, happy to help. Yep I put the cats in. They come with gaskets and just bolt up to the headers.

Only problem will be is if you don't have a tune there is no bung for the rear 02 sensors, once you are tuned these are disabled anyway so I just removed them. All Lund tunes disable rear 02s by default even if you don't have headers.

Aubrey

GT4949
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Planning the next one!
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Ford ProCal 3 tune, but not sure if bypasses the O2 sensors, probably not. I assume one could drill and tap them in?

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
To my eye, they look exactly like Xforce headers, which would be unsurprising given that Xforce come out of China too..
Good write up btw.
FFA2813D-E120-4A30-95FF-4EF15B005380.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP

brad1601

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the Ford ProCal 3 tune, but not sure if bypasses the O2 sensors, probably not. I assume one could drill and tap them in?
Hmm yeah I didn't think many people had official "Ford" tunes in Australia, but yeah you are probably right due to it being a Ford branded tune they probably couldn't just turn off the emissions sensors... unless they have some "track only" disclaimer on it or something? Might be something you need to look into. As far as tapping or welding another bung in, I'm sure you could do that, I just don't know if the sensors would like what they were seeing :crackup: So you might end up with a check engine light for emissions, I just don't know. Maybe check the american threads and see how people are going with headers/high flow cats and rear 02s still operating.

To my eye, they look exactly like Xforce headers, which would be unsurprising given that Xforce come out of China too..
Good write up btw.
FFA2813D-E120-4A30-95FF-4EF15B005380.jpeg
Thanks! Yes I thought the same thing when I looked in photos, haven't seen a set of x-force in person to directly compare side by side but they certainly look pretty similar in photos...

OP
OP

brad1601

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Link please, great write up!
Thanks mate.

Here's the link :https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/192490046112

So they had them "on sale" for $625 when I bought them + I used to standard eBay 5% off voucher and came to $595. They have a make an offer option though so could easily offer them $625 again and they may well accept it soon as they have been selling them at that price previously.

Also there is a 10% eBay voucher at the moment "PYRO10", That will give you another 10% off whatever price you negotiate with the seller. That particular code is valid untill midnight tomorrow night... Otherwise if you don't want to buy so soon there is a standard 5% code "PERCENT5" that doesn't have an expiry date at the moment... They pretty much always have a 5% code going.

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
You said you had it mated up to your catback but I’m just wondering if it came with cats AND the connection pipe or just the cats?

It says in the ad that it bolts up to factory exhaust.

OP
OP

brad1601

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You said you had it mated up to your catback but I’m just wondering if it came with cats AND the connection pipe or just the cats?

It says in the ad that it bolts up to factory exhaust.
No unfortunately it doesn't bolt up to the factory exhaust. The ad is BS. It does come with cats though, just not the joining pipework.

My local exhaust shop charged $200 to mate it up in mandrel bent stainless. Surprisingly wasn't crazy loud running with just headers and cats so you probably could drive it if it wasn't too far. I chose to trailer it for the $50 hire cost it was no big deal.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

brad1601

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@brad1601 thanks for the write up. Did you by any chance do a dyno or strip run before you put them on?
No sorry mate haven't put my car on a dyno or done any strip runs since I've had it.

Going off what the Americans have found all the 1 7/8th long tube headers seem to be within a couple of HP of one another, so I would expect similar numbers to what other people are getting from X force etc. It certainly feels like a decent little bump so I'd say around the 30ish HP figure seems about right.

NZ GT mustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt Mustang Fastback MT, Deep Impact Blue
So I've been tossing up the idea of putting headers on the mustang for a while now and I had noticed after browsing through the main part of the forum the American's have had some success with the "cheap" eBay headers, Maximizer is one of the brands I think. Anyway, I thought I'd have another look around to see if the Chinese had started making cheaper headers for RHD Mustang's yet (there was nothing last time I'd looked), sure enough I found these "TOG" headers listed for RHD mustangs selling for a great price. I did a bit of googling and found nothing on them in regards to their Mustang headers... but for the price (I paid $595 with eBay discounts) I though, why not! I'll give them a go. So that's where this post comes in... hopefully it will provide some information of help anyone who decides they want to go this route :)

So without further ado, here is some photos them when I first got them. To me the welds all looked great and I couldn't see any issues, however I'm no welding expert.
Yi1m4IBCZbAM0EjWDp_S-VBJV-SeQ1KhQ0X1RHPBHwftrxSwxMdR1Ja56FEP93PF9GEUik7ERLm4nQ1IxA=w747-h1326-no.jpg

i6v-mdzyEozJ5mGzg3DlO1CLWKDDgIWN18wpHRmhaxSLwxPh3ZdaUyJ0vfld1NLhEDLhoERm39aM8Wa5Q=w2357-h1326-no.jpg

vOTZ7Lx_HE_DOg7QNsANu0u23W2EFVmp_Tqxn-RJEHBX1WNvvsoLCPa6Yg4Rrh_JtebT-w7v5tQodK3GEw=w747-h1326-no.jpg

So after checking them over and everything looking good I decided I may as well get them ceramic coated, this is completely optional (the stock headers aren't coated) but it does help to keep the heat out of the engine bay.

After I got them back from ceramic coating it was time to get them on, so last weekend with the help of my father in law and his hoist we did the install.

Install:

The installation is a pain in the butt, just like all headers for the S550 mustangs, but there were a couple of small issues we found with these headers whilst doing the installation, but I'll detail them here so it will make it all pretty straightforward for anyone reading this.

The first issue we found was that the bottom bolt on the passenger side header furthermost to the rear of the car wouldn't fit into it's hole on the flange, no way, no how, the pipe just bends around too close. So that meant taking the header off again and slotting that hole, no big deal at all if we had of known about it previously, but it probably added an hour of stuffing around taking it back off and putting it back on again to get back to where we were up to. so take note and make sure you get your grinder and turn that hole into a slot.

The second issue and the one that was difficult to rectify for me, due to not noticing till the installation was completed, was the lack of clearance between one of the pipes on the drivers side header and the steering shaft. This seems to require nearly 10mm clearance with the torque movement of the motor to not touch and feel vibration through the steering wheel, it had about 1mm. This wouldn't have been a big deal at all if we had of known before they were on that we needed to dimple the pipe there, but once they were on it's taken a fair bit of stuffing around with big levers etc to gain some clearance there just due to access. So for this I recommend putting it in without bolting it up, marking the spot where the steering shaft is going to need clearance and then taking them out and dimpling the pipe, plenty of tutorials on the net of how to do that with the headers off the car. I'd go more rather than less as it doesn't effect performance having a dent in the header like that.

So how do they go?

Incredibly well in my opinion! I've got a Lund tune and a Borla touring cat back which i had an exhaust shop weld up to the new headers ($200) and it sounds awesome and has very noticeably faster pick up from about 2500RPM and that's coming from someone that quite often doesn't really notice the difference small mods make, so I'd say these are making quite significant gains.

So how do they sound?
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/G...nlPoLLIsz&c=WEB_EMBEDDED_PLAYER&cver=20181129

TLDR?

They go great. Install is a pain like all headers. You need to slot one of the holes on the passenger header and dent one of the pipes on the drivers side header to make extra clearance for the steering shaft. Bargain for $595.

Some Install photos:
aADBKG4RAHFz58NQnGM0k8R3PqRFbzyYzkUjAJcRT1nZRU_9mmU3-pVe9N_OEE_c5cMNk4I9zMN7r5Pgg=w2357-h1326-no.jpg

pgE1Ny9vwgSs52yh6tRt4V4muK0QQQ1aFDLnhLuO9VSXbiSTLxo-lpG5B7IiIJoaZjTtEeOHXx66g24J_w=w747-h1326-no.jpg

5Y2Eo3Nrv1DQ559DpZ7J2VeQVDH32Glqy32Bkyt9iMWVHUaLfORZnkTpnp5ddSX9dkEDDG22lEhB755cjk=w747-h1326-no.jpg

CzGYaBraQJUSRr_RqLko4M52-HRUd7VJi3SiczJgPOwta34K8T26yvuVrJNz5XWDllJYMbpXq90gkM_EwQ=w747-h1326-no.jpg

CkhDja6SIj5MTiIJNbjdCIBWUmmsxloeffVvJXmQHpl1MysXjRiRqDMlEpunoBCBawFjGS-t9u6cFMnNmw=w747-h1326-no.jpg

Hi On the old left-hand header did you ever look under the tin can that is rapped around the second to last pipe? I noticed it the other day.
Sponsored