ATM Intercooler installed

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Well I finally have my first mod installed. Huge thanks to @OVRKILL for going out of his way to help me do it. This was definitely a two person job. Took us roughly 6 hours to get it in but man was it worth it. Unfortunately I did not get a lot of pics of the install, and with the stock lower grill it's hard to see.

Few notes be careful with the bumper support bolts, as I snapped one in half. Thankfully he had a spare. Trimming is required. And charge pipes suck!! To me that was the hardest part was trying to get them on and off.

Only put about 50 miles on it so far but man what a difference. I am not noticing any additional throttle lag. The pull is noticeably harder than before and there is a really good increase to the top end. It was about 75° on my way home last night and it pulled like it was 50°. Drag mode felt incredible, cant wait to take it to the strip later this year. Oh and the additional turbo noises are very cool. Not a huge increase but noticeable none the less.

Keep in mind my car is not tuned, this is the only mod I have. If anyone is on the fence about doing this on the stock tune, do it. It's 100% worth it. As everyone else has said in the past, this is what Ford should have done from the factory. So far ATM seems to make a solid unit with very good quality. Time and additional driving will tell for sure. I'm eager to see how it performs once it starts to get hot here.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Small update. Took the car for a quick romp this morning. Holy cow the power is insane. I must have been too tired last night to truly appreciate it. It's on another level now. It just pulls and pulls. Finally have some good top end power. Several full throttle pulls to 90mph and no signs at all of letting up, no instant drop off any more. Temp is about 75° this morning and I could not sense any signs of heat soak. Power has a very noticeable increase throughout the entire rpm range. Huge punch around 2500-3000 rpms.

In my opinion this is a tune replacement. I'm sure that it only gets better with a tune but with this mod, you can satisfy your craving for more power while making your engine safer. If there are people wanting a tune but afraid to pull the trigger, get this first. You will not be disappointed.

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase
Any tune will be limited by the intercooler anyhow, so it's always the better first mod.

Also look at checking or replacing your sparks for more reliable power, they can be terrible from the factory and do not risk warranty either.

KewlWinter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EcoBoost Premium+ Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
Small update. Took the car for a quick romp this morning. Holy cow the power is insane. I must have been too tired last night to truly appreciate it. It's on another level now. It just pulls and pulls. Finally have some good top end power. Several full throttle pulls to 90mph and no signs at all of letting up, no instant drop off any more. Temp is about 75° this morning and I could not sense any signs of heat soak. Power has a very noticeable increase throughout the entire rpm range. Huge punch around 2500-3000 rpms.

In my opinion this is a tune replacement. I'm sure that it only gets better with a tune but with this mod, you can satisfy your craving for more power while making your engine safer. If there are people wanting a tune but afraid to pull the trigger, get this first. You will not be disappointed.
I knew you would love the ATM intercooler once you finally got around to putting it in! Now you know what I was talking about after I installed mine. :)

OP
OP

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I knew you would love the ATM intercooler once you finally got around to putting it in! Now you know what I was talking about after I installed mine. :)
Oh ya it's simply amazing. The car is just so much fun to drive now. It has no more anemic qualities when it comes to acceleration. It lowered my 0 to 60 time by a half sec.

Sponsored

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
Wow... I was on the fence about getting the IC or the tune first, and it looks like the tune will have to wait. I still think I'll get a baseline dyno session first and see how much the IC alone frees up. Need to go before it gets too hot and even the first pull is crippled...

OP
OP

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Wow... I was on the fence about getting the IC or the tune first, and it looks like the tune will have to wait. I still think I'll get a baseline dyno session first and see how much the IC alone frees up. Need to go before it gets too hot and even the first pull is crippled...
As someone that has done things backwards before, supporting mods are where everyone should begin. A tune will just add heat and stress to the engine, an intercooler will not and will make it safer to run. I wasn't sure what to expect when i first got it, but hoped for the best. I would be afraid to run a tune on the stock intercooler after seeing just how small it is up close. Trust me, getting a new intercooler will satisfy your need for more power for the time being. This is the best first mod.

solodogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
You think it feels great after installing it, try driving with it for a while then removing it. My car feels SOOOOOOOO out of breath now :(

DUNDEM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base EB PP
Well I finally have my first mod installed. Huge thanks to @OVRKILL for going out of his way to help me do it. This was definitely a two person job. Took us roughly 6 hours to get it in but man was it worth it. Unfortunately I did not get a lot of pics of the install, and with the stock lower grill it's hard to see.

Few notes be careful with the bumper support bolts, as I snapped one in half. Thankfully he had a spare. Trimming is required. And charge pipes suck!! To me that was the hardest part was trying to get them on and off.

Only put about 50 miles on it so far but man what a difference. I am not noticing any additional throttle lag. The pull is noticeably harder than before and there is a really good increase to the top end. It was about 75° on my way home last night and it pulled like it was 50°. Drag mode felt incredible, cant wait to take it to the strip later this year. Oh and the additional turbo noises are very cool. Not a huge increase but noticeable none the less.

Keep in mind my car is not tuned, this is the only mod I have. If anyone is on the fence about doing this on the stock tune, do it. It's 100% worth it. As everyone else has said in the past, this is what Ford should have done from the factory. So far ATM seems to make a solid unit with very good quality. Time and additional driving will tell for sure. I'm eager to see how it performs once it starts to get hot here.

I installed an ATM(Black) IC. I had all the same experiences without a tune. This should be the First mod for an ecoboost IMHO period.

Cxp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB app
I have a 2018 PP, which appears to not have grille shutters on the upper but has a shutter on the lower.

If removing the shutter how do I avoid a check engine light?

Sponsored

KewlWinter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EcoBoost Premium+ Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2018 PP, which appears to not have grille shutters on the upper but has a shutter on the lower.

You can remove the actuator motor from the shutters after removal, plug it back into the harness, then strap it with zips behind the bumper out of sight. Also, even though it will throw a code if not plugged in, it will no turn on the check engine light.

Reactions: Cxp
OP
OP

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost

Interesting I had no shutters.

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
OP
OP

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Is there a plastic flap like this. Is this a shutter?
6795212F-0225-4B2B-836B-8AE0918EB3E3.jpeg
Lol I remember that, I honestly don't know what it was, I sort of thought it was to just direct air to the intercooler. I did not reuse it as it did not fit my new one. However I had nothing that was left unplugged, no codes, no lights that I am aware of.
Sponsored