Sponsored

Are you tired of shifting gears?

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
most of you I assume will say no so... I am considering trading my 18 GT 10 speed for a 2019 or 2020
GT for a manual. My 2004 GT was my last car that I rowed my gears for 7 years and enjoyed it.
Do any of you folks regret buying the Manuel as a daily driver?
I do not like the 10 speed I guess because it’s clunky, I don’t like the adaptive learning either.
I love the aceleration but it’s the clunky down shifts that “ bothers “ me.
Clunky is the last thing I would say about my 10r80, I rarely let it downshift without me doing it with the paddle or pulling back the lever and listening to it downshift with a blip of the throttle, music to my ears. In my humble opinion the 10r80 is what you make of it. If you bought the car to just drive it, it drives just like any other car, the 10spd is excellent at boring driving. Adaptive learning is kinda based on how you drive and based on observations of some people I can see why the adaptive learning gets borked.
Sponsored

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
All of my cars have to be an Auto

I have nerve damage (peripheral neuropathy) in my left leg from a training accident which causes constant pain in my left foot. A clutch pedal would make my foot pain worse, so my only option is an automatic car.

With that being said, even without the nerve damage, I would choose an auto S550 GT. I love how hard/fast and crisp the up-shifts are (with LUND tune) and the rev match downshifts are kinda cool too, when I want them in sport mode.

And I like how when I tell people it's and auto car, they sneer and somehow think the car is "slower" with the auto. Little do they know....
I have severe neuropathy in both feet, (now starting in my hands as well) had to stop riding motorcycle and you want to hear something funny? Friends said install an air shifter make it an auto! On a motorcycle I refuse anything but manual so mine is up for sale. Had it not been for Ford introducing the 10r80 I would likely have settled for the 6r80 since it does a good job for what it is.

I like to go to the drag strip once in a while, last year I went a few times and hit a best of 12.0, now with the closed cai and Lund tune and corn, hoping for mid 11's. It's so much fun I Livernois tuned my '17 AWD 400hp MKZ which will be going to the drag strip with my GT this spring.

I agree with you, the crisp (dragmode is insane) upshifts is a blast and now that it looks like Lund fixed my advanced trac issues the drag strip runs look to be much better this year.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
[QUOTE="Norm Peterson, post: 2479722, member: 6743 Care to guess what transmission type is in the really blatant stop-sign-runners cars?

I’d guess guys with manuals who don’t want to have start off in first again. But that would be using a broad brush. I could say that the ones who weave through rush hour traffic at 25 mph faster than the traffic are the boy racers with manual transmissions but that’s probably not accurate either. I think there are people who will will drive the way they do regardless of what transmission is in their car. Having driven both over the years, I don’t find that I drive any differently or find my attention wandering in an automatic. In fact, having the convertible (and less metal around me) has probably heightened my attention to the traffic around me, notwithstanding I’m driving the A10.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
5 pages of replies I'm not gonna read, but it's the opposite for me. I drove a manual for 7 years, had to use an automatic for the next 2 before I got my 2019 and I missed manual every time. Stop and go traffic definitely puts auto in the lime light, but I don't sit in it often. I'd often find myself making engine noises, and rowing an imaginary stick, when I'd be on boring trips.

Perhaps when I get older and grow tired of it all, but for now it's manual 100% The auto may accelerate faster but it's just not the same.

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
I love manuals especially in a high hp muscle/sports cars. My last 2 cars 2015 GT Mustang and 2012 SS Camaro were the worst manual transmissions I’ve ever owned. This time went with the A10 and couldn’t be happier.

Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I just moved from the SF Bay Area a year ago (second only, sometimes, to LA for bad traffic). Before that, I commuted daily with a '08 Bullitt; the last stint was an 80mile round trip from San Jose to Pleasanton on Hwy 680 (for a time, it was 'reverse commute,' but I had to get on the road before 7am to not get stuck in slow-and-go). My strategy was to sit back 5-6 car lengths and idle it in 1st or second, as all around me jackrabbitted and rode their brakes. Yeah, the jackrabbits/asses would constantly cut in front of me, but I would pass them over and over and beat them to the offramp more often than not. When I traded that car in for a '19 Bullitt, it had the original clutch and brakes with 135K miles on it.
My brother did a similar commute San Jose to Livermore for a few years. He did the same thing. Left super early and suffered on the ride home. Beautiful area but horrible commuting!

GT17Kuwait

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Srikar
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017 M/T
most of you I assume will say no so... I am considering trading my 18 GT 10 speed for a 2019 or 2020
GT for a manual. My 2004 GT was my last car that I rowed my gears for 7 years and enjoyed it.
I do not like the 10 speed I guess because it’s clunky, I don’t like the adaptive learning either.

I live in Kuwait and use my GT 17 M/T for daily commute. Rush Hour traffic may seem like a pain sometimes, but would you really trade the awesomeness of a manual transmission for an auto just to avoid this? Take it to the track and let the beast unleash!
Personal opinion- GO FOR M/T.
Cheers brother!

Stang8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt pp
I purchased my manual PP car a few months ago after 7 years of owning my auto Kenne Bell car. People always asked why I had an auto and I answered it’s faster. With that said I am so happy I went back to manual.

tukn20s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium Performance Package
i was once asked, "what made you get a manual" and i responded with "because I'm a man, thats why".
would never regret getting a manual.

16mach1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt premium, 99 Roush, 2002 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 16 with 6R80 would never go back to a stick. There is no human that can out shift a computer. If you do not like the way it shifts have the car tuned. There is a great deal that can be done to that trans with a tune. Set up right the 10R80 is crazy fast.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Ratfink53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium
I have a 16 with 6R80 would never go back to a stick. There is no human that can out shift a computer. If you do not like the way it shifts have the car tuned. There is a great deal that can be done to that trans with a tune. Set up right the 10R80 is crazy fast.
Taking it in Friday to see if there are any updates to the TCM or PCM. Any ideas who know’s how to tune
These 10 speeds?

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Whipple Stage 1 Manual
I don't live in lots of traffic so a manual is the
only way to go. When I need a break I drive my F150. My other two cars are also stick.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
You can try to pry my Steeda Triax short throw shifter out of my cold dead hand. That, plus clutch pedal extension and Steeda's return spring make it a lot of fun to shift. When the weather warms up, I'll add the premium shifter fluid that everyone raves about.

I live in Kuwait and use my GT 17 M/T for daily commute. Rush Hour traffic may seem like a pain sometimes, but would you really trade the awesomeness of a manual transmission for an auto just to avoid this? Take it to the track and let the beast unleash!
Personal opinion- GO FOR M/T.
Cheers brother!
What part of Kuwait are you in? I flew 130's out of Ali al Salem Air Base back in '05-'06. Pretty good base, nice pool, but lousy food.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Actually, for a brief while after I left the Navy, I worked in the insurance industry. I still have a few friends who are number crunchers for certain companies..I've spoken with them about this recently ( a couple years ago).

Believe it or not, studies are done quite extensively on driver behavior in order to assess risk factors, and accident rates. The results were pretty clear. Drivers of manual cars had less tendency to be distracted overall, and spent less time distracted by using the cars auxiliaries, like the radio as a main focus. Another was eating. Manual transmission drivers rarely try to eat a quarter pounder with cheese while driving. Even drinking was "slightly" less. They also tended to adjust other auxiliary functions less often as well. Adjusting the heat, lighting, etc. Although voice activation has fixed a lot of cell phone issues, the last and most notable, was the almost complete lack of trying to use a cell phone while driving. The percentage was very small. For some reason, even with voice activation, manual drivers still had a slightly less overall use of hands free cell phone usage as well. Not sure why that is. The overall effect of using less auxiliaries, directly corresponded to the obvious conclusion that they focus more on the road and the operation of the vehicle. Because of this, their overall reflexes and reaction time tends to be noticeably higher as well. The other being the use of more automated vehicles lead to less attention, and a natural tendency to be relaxed with slower reflex response when needed. The way future manufacturers are looking to change this, is with the full automation of all vehicles. Thus, decreasing accident rates to near zero. Not sure that's a world most of us would want to live in though.

So, to sum up, the overall statistics did end up showing that in today's automobiles, manual transmission drivers do in fact have a noticeably lower accident rate (when driving normally, not roll racing). It's not a HUGE huge margin, but enough for insurance companies to take note when applying the numbers to calculate overall risk when adjusting premium rates on policies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
↑↑↑ not surprised . . . and not the first time I've heard this from a reliable source.

Even when shifting has become second-nature, you don't normally distance yourself quite as far from the business of car operation & control as people tend to do when they don't have to keep up with just this one extra little driving task.

Norm
Sponsored