Are you tired of shifting gears?

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Been manually shifting gears since 1963, as has my wife since about 1972. We've only owned stick-shift cars since our first new car (a 1972 model year Ford), meaning that all of the "family sedans" along the way have been MT.

Talk about a timely thread . . . with our ages bracketing the number 70 (for a few more months, anyway) we replaced her Legacy this past Thursday. The 2019 WRX (6M) makes it eight for eight with three pedals. She's still just as insistent on having a MT as I am, and I might have a reputation around here for being a MT holdout.

So I guess neither of us is tired of shifting yet.

Norm
It's okay Norm, there are manual enthusiasts at all ages! I'm in my late 20s and have been driving a manual since 18. In a performance car, manual all the way. In a rock crawler or off-roader, I have to go with the auto.
Sponsored

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
No for me. I have owned manuals in all my sporty cars except for one- my 2017 Camaro RS. For the very first time I decided to go with the 8 speed automatic. I thought wow, all those gears, performance, fuel economy, no more shifting, what can be or go wrong? Big mistake- I choose probably one of the worst automatics. The shudder and slippage problem was so bad, the car was at the dealer almost more than I drove it. And the transmission seemed sluggish and inconsistent, upshifted too soon some times. Using the paddle shifters was OK but the gas mileage dropped a lot. So I traded it in for my 2018 Mustang GT, 6 speed manual.

I have two cars a Jeep Wrangler and an old Ford Bronco- all manuals. I love my manuals.

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
I've owned 5 mustangs, and every one has had a manual transmission.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
So, I guess to answer the question, am I tired of shifting yet? Well, NO!! In fact, I really look forward to driving to work everyday.

Many a day, I wish the commute was actually longer, with more twisty roads

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'm really tired of driving my automatic Ford Explorer winter beater. I really wanted to drive my beater Porsche to work this morning just so I could shift gears a few times, but the cold temperatures -12 F made me decide not to. The heat in the 944 isn't the greatest.

Turns out the bridges were super slippery and I barely missed a 4 car pileup on the way in to work. I'm glad I was in the Explorer - it's a much better vehicle to get hit in than that tiny P-car.

Sponsored

Commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
love driving a stick

hate modern manual transmissions (in general)
- either break easy
- crappy linkage
- horrible clutch engagement
- poor gear ratios
- sometimes having a manual limits higher option package availability

i'm also in the drive 2+ hours a day sometimes and most of the time in busy rush hour traffic.

still, i love a good manual when done right in the right car.

Vegas5OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 PP
I like the stick I just dont like the gearing. But I understand the trans wasnt designed for 800+ hp 150mph pulls lol

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Doesn't matter if someone else isn't bothered by sitting in traffic daily with a manual. It only matters if you are. You'll find people that would rather sit in 4hr traffic jams with a manual rather than automatic.
I have a '19 manual. I have no regrets. But I work from home, no commute. If I had a substantial commute that involved stop/go, no way would I have a manual GT. I don't care what anyone says. To me, it sucks compared to the ease of an automatic in those conditions. No brainer.
I just moved from the SF Bay Area a year ago (second only, sometimes, to LA for bad traffic). Before that, I commuted daily with a '08 Bullitt; the last stint was an 80mile round trip from San Jose to Pleasanton on Hwy 680 (for a time, it was 'reverse commute,' but I had to get on the road before 7am to not get stuck in slow-and-go). My strategy was to sit back 5-6 car lengths and idle it in 1st or second, as all around me jackrabbitted and rode their brakes. Yeah, the jackrabbits/asses would constantly cut in front of me, but I would pass them over and over and beat them to the offramp more often than not. When I traded that car in for a '19 Bullitt, it had the original clutch and brakes with 135K miles on it.

druby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Premium, Tripple Yellow
When I first got my manual, after driving an auto for about 10 years, I almost had some reservations at first, as most of my driving is boring commute stuff. I've adapted and wouldn't have a car like this (2015 GT PP) without a manual. I've rented a 10 speed for a couple business trips, and it's just not the same for me. The 10 speed just shifts too fast to really get to enjoy the sound of the 5.0. If I was into racing and showing off I would probably do the auto since you can't shift that fast with a manual, but I'm not so I absolutely love the 6 speed. The sound is just awesome. My office looks over a stop light area, and I hear muscle cars throughout the day, and you can spot an auto or manual right off the bat. Pick what you want and enjoy it.

Sponsored

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
Nope.

It isn't my daily and I live in Houston so the traffic here is a bitch. Maybe if I drove it every day and had to suffer through stop and go I'd get sick of it

Grayden4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grayden
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang Cobra, 2009 Mustang GT/CS, 2011 F350, 2019 Mustang GT PPL2
In my 51 years of driving (yes I'm an old fart), I have owned 31 vehicles, and only 4 were automatics (tow vehicles). I'm afraid that the standard transmission is a dying technology.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
In my 51 years of driving (yes I'm an old fart), I have owned 31 vehicles, and only 4 were automatics (tow vehicles). I'm afraid that the standard transmission is a dying technology.
5 auto trans out of 40+ owned (none since the '91 Syclone). None of the five had a manual option but had other compelling attributes.

earlSpilner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base (arriving Dec 2015)
All my cars are manual. Including my truck that is my winter daily. I sit in traffic like everyone else and have never thought "damn i wish i had an auto right now".

I mean if I was trying to shave in traffic, while holding a coffee, and making a call on my cell phone, then ya an auto would be better.

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
Love my manual, and don't get tired of driving it. I live in Houston and commute in the wonderful traffic every morning for close to 30 miles, and while I don't daily my Mustang, my 2011 Accord that I use to commute is a manual as well. Doesn't bother me in traffic at all.
Sponsored