HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Counterpoint: 0.5 sec faster in the ~4 second range is a MUCH larger percent difference than ~6-7 seconds to 60.
I just take the average number of stops to my destination, divide by two and leave that many seconds earlier.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I just take the average number of stops to my destination, divide by two and leave that many seconds earlier.
I mean, yeah. I don't want an auto...at all. Not liking the looks of the '18+ front end made that even easier.

OP
OP

Ratfink53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium
Can you elaborate on manuals being fun in the snow? Is that in regards to just being able to stay at higher RPMs?
Doing donuts! Well of course you can do with an auto too.

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Whipple Stage 1 Manual
You can't clutch kick an automatic. Makes it easier to do donuts and really whip the ass end around.

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Whipple Stage 1 Manual
I may buy an auto 2018/19 used low miles in a few years. Then I'll have both. When I can't shift anymore due to age I'll give it to my son or daughter.

Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I may buy an auto 2018/19 used low miles in a few years. Then I'll have both. When I can't shift anymore due to age I'll give it to my son or daughter.
I thought about getting an auto on my next one but, but then my wife will be able to drive it and that's not going to happen. Every time she drives one of my vehicles, if she likes it, she takes over and I'm lucky if she lets me sit in it.

LICobra

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 K0933
I have been driving since 1971, learned on a Volkswagen stick, been driving manuals ever since...
I recently traded in my manual trans 15 GT/PP for a 19 Scat Pack Shaker Challenger. also a 6 speed.....never got tired of manuals.

My every day driver is a 08 Honda Civic coupe... 5 speed .

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Age - in and of itself - need not be a factor here. Trust me.

Norm

Monza

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
We have 4 cars 3 are manual and the automatic is only because the MDX only comes auto! LOL

Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I would like to agree with you, but I would have to see the details behind the studies. So many studies mix up causality and just plain aren't valid. For example, younger people are more likely to drive cars with automatic transmissions. Also, people with manual transmission equipped cars are more likely to be driving enthusiasts. So is the poor driving behavior related to the transmission choice, or are age/experience/enthusiasm the more important factors? Thinking about it more, the people behind most of these studies probably aren't interested in the cause. They are just interested in the statistics so that they can set up insurance rates. It seems to me that you are the one assigning some sort of causality that probably isn't confirmed in the studies.
What I do know is these studies are also broken down by gender and age. Those are automatic categories in just about every study when trying to do risk assessment on behavior. Age and gender are the two primary factors. As far as being driving enthusiasts. You could say that to some degree, since it seems most people today do tend to choose it based on preference, and certainly not ease of convenience. But I would also suggest that still a very healthy number of people drive manuals because of the lower expense as well.

Last edited:

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Counterpoint: 0.5 sec faster in the ~4 second range is a MUCH larger percent difference than ~6-7 seconds to 60.

I would say that if someone is buying a 2018+ GT, get the 10R80. The ratio spreads and shifting speeds actually improve the car enough that I think it's worth the sacrifice in involvement/fun of rowing your own. My opinion as someone who loves 3 pedals and wouldn't give it up.
Maybe so but wasn't enough for me. I test drove 3 or 4 A10 GTs and a couple were extensive test drives. Sales guy didn't even go with me. But the manual just felt so much more fun to me. And it's plenty quick!

silverflash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt PP1
i have always had a manual vehicle as one of my rides. that changed when i bought my 2019 gt pp1 with a10 in october as i traded my manual 4x4 jeep in on the stang. I chose the automatic for a few reasons:

1) tiny engines with no HP require a stick imho to make the car get out of it's own way. the mustang has 460hp and the auto works more than enough to allow it to get it out of it's own way and then some.
2) i am getting older and though nothing with knees are bothering me, eventually i think that may happen and i will then hate driving the stick. this way, as long as i have 2 arms, or even jsut one, i can drive it.
3) the gt with a10 feels like an old school muscle car and they all had autos- i am talking about the sleepers here like the old catalinas with the huge big blocks. the ride in the stang reminds me alot of them WITH the a10.
with the manual, it feels too "modern" to me and trying to be a sports car like a ferrari or something- if this makes sense..
4) the a10 is way faster and it's safer as i don't have to worry about missing a gear and a clutch. she just goes with a simple foot action.

do i miss a stick? sometimes. but, the stang in sport mode makes it seem like i almost have a stick again and so i am good with that.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Seems the primary reason people choose the auto is they are getting too old for stick and have a problem with their knees/legs/hips etc!

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
Age - in and of itself - need not be a factor here. Trust me.

Norm
Yeah, my mom bought a new VW with a stick last year, age 78. She has no interest in autos, at all.
Sponsored