Sponsored

Are the body gaps on the Camaro as bad as the Mustang?

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
This is a funny subject. I think the fit and finish on my 2019 GT is great, no complaints at all. I have a buddy who's been a body man for 40+ years and every time he comes by he points out some defect when he's still 20 away from the car. I hate it when he does that! I have to get up close to the car with him pointing his finger at the defect and only sometimes can I see what he's talking about. So for me I think the car is nicely put together and he says it's typical Ford poor quality.

I have owned mostly Fords in my 47 years of driving, and not once have I had a major engine failure, or even a minor transmission repair needed. All I have ever done to any of them is basic maintenance that I do myself. Oil changes and brake jobs as required. So I spend a lot more time feeling good that this car will be as trouble free as the other Fords I've owned than worrying about my buddy and his panel gap issues.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
That's odd. Honestly. Lexus has one of the tightest panel gaps/fitment I've ever seen on a mass produced reasonably affordable car. My wife's Toyota Prius feels like it was put together by a Swiss watchmaker. Tight, perfect alignment everywhere.
It's not that odd - It was a 2002 Lexus GS. A mid 90s design and 90s fit and finish. Panel gaps have come a long way since then.

My 2020 is nearly perfect and better than the 2002 Lexus GS I had. Although it was hard to tell on the Lexus because the gaps were huge in comparison. I was always aware of how big they were, especially the door gaps, but seeing them side by side, the Lexus gaps were comically huge. Made it harder to see the uneveness.
Your 2002 Lexus GS was designed in the mid 90s. I'm not surprised the panel gaps weren't good.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I've noticed that Mustang panel gaps and paint quality seem to be a lot better than many other brands. Most notably Honda, Toyota and BMW are all brands that have very bad panel gaps - counter to what I expected from their reputations. BMW especially has really bad orange peel on a lot of their newer vehicles as well.

I've never noticed much of an issue with Camaro panel gaps. Some GM vehicles have a lot of paint issues, but I haven't noticed that on Camaros either.

Last edited:

#1ford

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt premium convertble antimatter blue
Vehicle Showcase
What am I missing it looks great to me

0F4E624B-11AB-4FA5-A5F2-85D271F86C59.jpeg

2E7E189B-EE0F-4BF6-A2A7-F606839E32D6.jpeg

Last edited:

#1ford

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone see anything that far off. Plus the paint quality and shine seem very nice to me

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone see anything that far off. Plus the paint quality and shine seem very nice to me
Are really you asking for a critique from those two pictures ?

If you are happy, I would keep it that way rather than have the potential for people to poke holes in your happiness :like:

WD :like:

Strokercrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 400a Black Accent.
My 19MY had a few. Trunk, door, rear quarter to bumper. Fender to front bumper and rockers all had misalignment. My 21MY only a slight misalignment with the right side of my trunk. The paint on my 19MY also had a few blemishes and buildups. Haven't noticed a one in my 21MY. It seems to be a quality lottery and based on who was working production and QC the build week of said VIN production.

Interior is a slightly different story. My 19 was perfect no flaws. I have noticed 2 inconsequential defects inside that are not noticeable until I stare at it from certain angles on my 21.

#1ford

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
WD pro . I thank you for your advice! I truly love this car! I plan to take great care of this car so true if I am happy with my car that all that matters

DutchPony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicolas
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016, Shadow 2009, DS3 2012
No complaints, but too be honest, other cars at this price point aren't better. I've owned BMW and Audi before and they were nice but not of higher quality than the '15 GT.

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
I m going to have to study my 21 M1 again. I didn t see anything wrong, LOL.

Sponsored

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
After a garage visit I don t see anything that is bad. One thing which you can t see unless you get right on the car is the rear window is a little tighter on one side than the other. Hope it don t leak but you d never see the gap difference unless you are inspecting for it.

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
After a garage visit I don t see anything that is bad. One thing which you can t see unless you get right on the car is the rear window is a little tighter on one side than the other. Hope it don t leak but you d never see the gap difference unless you are inspecting for it.
True, but for what we pay, we can expect better.

FUN2RIDEFAST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Don’t misunderstand me, I love my GT and it’s going nowhere. I think it’s a beautiful car but honestly it’s about a 20-footer. I was washing it this afternoon and thinking about the gaps. I don’t think even Dave Kindig could fix these gaps. And the paint isn’t so slick either. Overall the paint and body work are kinda a throwback to the ’70s.

So just out of curiosity, is the Camaro like this too?
Mine looks great.
Sponsored