Sponsored

Are Mustangs Dangerous?

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
Mustangs wouldnt have the rep it does as "dangerous" if they hid the traction control button from idiots. 🤣
Sponsored

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
I totally agree that it's the driver.
Part of why it looks like a "Mustang" problem is they attract drivers who want to show off.
Then, a Camaro, Challenger, and a lot of other things are dangerous for the same reasons.

They also attract competent drivers, but it was the other drivers that got the most attention, even before YouTube was a thing.

If I was choosing a car for a teenager, the Mustang hasn't been an option since 1993. That chassis was pretty teenager-safe with the 4-banger that had 105hp or whatever. Teenage shenanigans happened at low enough speed they might actually recover before they hit something. Or, they're at least hitting something at a lower speed than they could have (Like when my cousin skidded and wrecked her notchback.)

food_fanaticz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Velocity Blue GT Premium
My salesman gave me the keys to test drive a GT - on a rainy day - by myself. Only a little visible sweat on his forehead.
When I went to test drive the Mustang I ended up with, sales guy came with me..and tried to convince me to give it some juice "go ahead, give it some gas!" lmao..granted, we were on a stretch of back roads that had little traffic no cars on it at the time and straight as an arrow..lol I just said "yah b-but .it's not my car yet I don't want to crash it on the test drive!!" I can't remember if I did or not, was kinda nervous..just was being extra careful of the car lol :cwl:

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I just said "yah b-but .it's not my car yet I don't want to crash it on the test drive!!" I can't remember if I did or not,
This is a major cause of the bad rep Mustang drivers get. We don't even notice if we crash!

food_fanaticz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Velocity Blue GT Premium
This is a major cause of the bad rep Mustang drivers get. We don't even notice if we crash!
lol obviously I didn't, but it was funny in that sales guy was trying to convince me to. I drive it too careful lol today it was raining and I saw probably 3 accidents on the road. Was going below the speed limit and making sure I make it home alive lol too many bad and stupid drivers on the road here :crazy:

Sponsored

FinitePrimus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I do have to admit, watching the crowd surfing videos. There is definitely something going on with Mustangs going from no-traction to instant traction unexpectedly - usually right at the moment you break past that 50-60 degree nose angle.

One theory I also have is that the computer does a bad job calculating things when you do suspension/brake mods away from factory spec. Stickier tires, larger brakes, lowered suspension etc.

This guy did a good piece on the ESC re-engaging or a hidden ESC.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I dunno, I find these cars pretty predictable. I will say the computer doesn't react fast enough on wet surfaces if you apply too much right foot and turning at the same time. Overall though it does what I'd expect if you try to go sideways. I found how aggressive it can be when trying to do a burnout by whipping the ass around instead of a clutch dump. I literally had the wheel and throttle pinned and it would keep braking the outside rear wheel to keep me from breaking loose, lol.

With Advancetrac fully off (hold for 10 sec), it drives how I would expect. No nannying that I noticed.

I'm not entirely sure about this, but I think one downfall of these cars in stock form is that the front turn in is excellent and sharp, but the rear cradle has a tendency to change its geometry on you slightly, which I would think could cause an angle mismatch compared to what you expect if you're really hustling it. I can FEEL it doing this, but it's a very subtle thing. Makes me want to get the cradle lockouts to stop that excessive deflection. I'm sure it's way worse if you're hard on the power and the rear tires find traction suddenly. Maybe I'm just imagining it?

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I drove many cars over my lifetime without nannies. All you had were your eyes, butt, two hands and two feet. As great as the nannies are, I would feel more comfortable tossing the car around if there was one button, or menu choice, where I could switch everything off and know that everything was well and good off. I think a lot of these videos are the result of someone driving with the system not quite all off and then the system does something mid-way and throws the car off and the driver reaction sends it out of control, or more out of control.
Sponsored