Sponsored

Are Mustangs Dangerous?

Deleted member 35644

That video came across my YouTube feed last week, and like an idiot, I watched it.

Tripe. Just as one example, if you're to be taken seriously as an automotive journalist, you don't refer to a Porsche Cayman as "oddball". Some of the comments made in this video are toeing the line of slander. Not worth watching.
Sponsored

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
All vehicles are dangerous, just like guns can be. Depends on the user and the nanny safeties in place. Some are forgiving more than others.
The average person is dumb - George Carlin

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Is the Mustang dangerous? I would have to say no. It can be driven in a dangerous way, however the car itself is not the danger, it's the driver.
Exactly. I live in fear of Alec Baldwin behind the wheel.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
My car tried to murder us all the other night. We were just sitting there watching tv and it started itself up and tried to drive through the window and run us over.

oh, then I woke up.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
My car tried to murder us all the other night. We were just sitting there watching tv and it started itself up and tried to drive through the window and run us over.

oh, then I woke up.

07S281E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Saleen S281E, 2020 Shelby GT 350
I have heard that the traction control can chop the throttle unexpectantly causing oversteer. There are several levels of "off" concerning traction control. Practicing the limits of the car in a controlled environment, like autocross, is the best way to learn how your car will handle adverse situations.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I have heard that the traction control can chop the throttle unexpectantly causing oversteer.
The only time it 'chops' is when you're already very sideways. It's trying to save your ass.

Sponsored

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
Brought back sad memories. I was one of those folks stranded on I95 and never made it to the concert. :frown:
I remember seeing Hot Tuna at the Paladium in NYC back in early 70s.....Grace wasn't with them...think she had vocal cord surgery...... but they played a looooong time.

07S281E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The only time it 'chops' is when you're already very sideways. It's trying to save your ass.
Yes but if you are driving out of the oversteer and the traction control chops the throttle it unexpectantly transfers all the weight causing oversteer in the other direction. Same thing people do high siding a motorcycle. If they would stay in the throttle they would drive out of it. If they get scared and chop the throttle...high side...

07S281E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Some people are used to driving looking out the passenger window.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Its not a terribly dangerous car considering the power, and I was a little shocked how safe it really was considering what it was (back in '15 when I bought this thing new).

BUT to @Dana Pants 's point, the traction control is pretty good, but it isn't the best I've seen. It doesn't seem to nibble at the braking on individual wheels like some other cars.

For a certain type of mistake (adding too much throttle w/o unwinding the steering wheel - which is what you're seeing with the the cars-n-coffee slides into curbs) it can all happen very very quickly.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Yes but if you are driving out of the oversteer and the traction control chops the throttle it unexpectantly transfers all the weight causing oversteer in the other direction. Same thing people do high siding a motorcycle. If they would stay in the throttle they would drive out of it. If they get scared and chop the throttle...high side...
Cutting throttle is just one of the things it does. It's also grabbing brakes and things like that to straighten you out. If you screw up enough, though, it won't be enough. I've bumped up against it many, many times. I always run it active on my first autocross run to allow me to be more aggressive on cold tires. It can definitely save you from spinning. If you spin with the AdvanceTrac kicked in, you probably would have spun regardless.

An analogy would be blaming an emergency room for killing someone who has jumped off a cliff. The patient may very well have died in the hospital, but it would in no way be correct to blame the hospital for the outcome. The damage was done before the hospital was ever involved.
Sponsored