Sponsored

Anyone regret buying a ragtop vs a coupe?

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I purchased a 2017 gt vert a few years back after owning a 2016 coupe. Loved the top down experience when the weather was perfect, especially some of the cooler summer nights. However the weather in WI did not accommodate a lot of top down days and i really hated the look and feel with the top up. The a pillars are very wide which cuts down on visibility and it just seemed darker in the cabin. For a GT cruiser it is great, but definitely not a high performance sports car... felt very front engine heavy. If I had the space and $ I would own one along with my Shelby. I have an order in for a Ford Bronco so really excited about having that be my top down open air experience vehicle.
Sponsored

Virnman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2019 GT Premium Vert 401A A10
Vehicle Showcase
Top down every single day for meā€¦ my 4th GT convert. Zero regrets - will never sell this one (knock on wood).

GrabberBargeCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Base 6sp in Grabber Blue
How do the ragtops and mechanism hold up over time?

Virnman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2019 GT Premium Vert 401A A10
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is still like new after 5 years - I havenā€™t had any issues. I have only had to replace the rear window motors on 2 of my previous cars.

White Stallion 11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
'15 EB Prem Vert w/PP, '20 GT Prem Vert w/PP

Sponsored

MrDude_1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP convertible
I can drive top down year-round, and for the most part I do. So I don't regret having a convertible at all.

In the winter people will assume I'm cold because it's 60Ā° or whatever, but it has both a heater and heated seats. (It doesn't get actually cold during the day or snow here)

In the summer people assume I'm roasting hot, but it has good air conditioning and it even has cooled/vented seats.

So it works great here.
PXL_20230605_232550989.MP.jpg

kaibab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Big D
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt convertible California special
No problems here also. I have used silicone spray on all moving hinges. Ragtop cleaner and protectant twice a year.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
No problems here also. I have used silicone spray on all moving hinges. Ragtop cleaner and protectant twice a year.
Yes, mine always groaned a bit in the hinge points from new. I finally got tired of it and sprayed everything with a penetrating grease that I have. Got rid of the groans for the most part and I no longer have to pull the top down that last half inch or so, it comes right down to the header now.

SEAICE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BW
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
in 44 years of driving, I've never not had a convertible of one sort or another. I've also never not had a garage, so I understand your winter concerns if parking outside. However, my daily driver '18 has survived 4 years of Seattle winters and one year here in Florida without a problem. Top looks fine, only a little wear from constant raising and lowering. If you have a garage and another vehicle for particularly bad weather days, then you're fine... If the weather's too bad to drive your convertible in winter, then a hardtop won't do any better on the road. The top is not the issue. *** I just realized this photo looks strange on the left side of the car. It's one of those iPhone simulated "3D" pics. Doesn't translate well ***
download.png

Last edited:

Sponsored

njlime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mustang GT/CS Vert-'18 Volvo XC60-16" MKC
It is not my daily driver, but I have had many convertibles, mustangs & others. The list of mustang verts includes a '65, '86, '05, '13, & now a '22. I don't get the top down as much as i would like as it is often too cold or too hot, but I love driving a vert, especially the "22 GT with active exhaust.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
My motto has always been if it has a hard top, it needs 4 doors. Modern convertibles have enough cameras and sensors to negate any blind spots. The back seat of coupes is mostly useless. But, dropping the top makes it much more accessible. I see no reason to put a car away in the winter unless the tires can't handle it or there is salt on the roads. We are nearly into January and I'm still driving my convertible nearly every day.

I have owned at least 10 convertibles. I used to work part-time at an uncle's used car lot, up until the mid 80s, so I swapped cars a lot. Over the years, I probably had 70 cars. Convertibles have come a long way since then.

Spoolingitup

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 TT vert, 2011 GT vert, 1991 5.0 vert,1970 M1
I have 3 verts with my favorite being the 15 GT Premium TT. Itā€™s turned out to be the best driver car even with the turbos. There simply is no better experience than dropping the top when the weather is nice and youā€™re in a scenic area. I have over 70k on the car now and itā€™s still running strongšŸ˜Ž

IMG_9595.jpeg

CarmeloS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carmelo
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands
Im dreaming of a GT vert after having a ā€˜16 EB

If I wanted a hard top, be 4 doors. I even spent $1700 on a soft top for my Bronco. Always night time for the summer, and drove around all winter without a problem with my old girl
IMG_20170228_153808_Original.jpeg
IMG_20170222_124700_Original.jpeg
IMG_4124.jpeg

CarmeloS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carmelo
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands
My motto has always been if it has a hard top, it needs 4 doors. Modern convertibles have enough cameras and sensors to negate any blind spots. The back seat of coupes is mostly useless. But, dropping the top makes it much more accessible. I see no reason to put a car away in the winter unless the tires can't handle it or there is salt on the roads. We are nearly into January and I'm still driving my convertible nearly every day.

I have owned at least 10 convertibles. I used to work part-time at an uncle's used car lot, up until the mid 80s, so I swapped cars a lot. Over the years, I probably had 70 cars. Convertibles have come a long way since then.
Yeah, its you I basically quote all the time! Imo, I dont race, so why do I need the extra rigidity?
Sponsored