Anyone have hard starting issues?

Noggles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Since new I have noticed occasional hard starts both hot and cold. Most of the time its a restart after I have made a quick stop at a store or something and come right back out. The car will turn over fine but instead of firing up cleanly it kinda burbles to a start like an old out of tune carbed car. In the past I have had the issue while remote starting it (I don't think its related to that though) but yesterday I got in and restarted it probably 15 minutes after shutting it off and it did it again. This time I noticed that while the car was actually firing on its own (barely) the starter motor was still engaged and then finally the engine lit off on its own and the starter shut off. After that was a real strong fuel smell (was in a covered spot) like the car nearly flooded itself trying to start. I hadn't noticed that before but it was possible its happened before. No codes or lights or anything came up.

Also noticed my cold starts have pretty extended cranking compared to other cars I have owned. It more resembles an e85 cold start in a way but the car is completely stock and so far has only had ethanol free pump gas ran in it.
Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Nope. You ever put a OBD scanner to check for codes? Any big name auto parts store has them. Sounds like a miss fire.

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Yes, I've had it many times. Car sounds like an old hooptie struggling to stay running for 2-3 seconds and then evens out. Only when hot. If I try to move the car right away when it does that it will stall.

OP
OP

Noggles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Nope. You ever put a OBD scanner to check for codes? Any big name auto parts store has them. Sounds like a miss fire.
I haven’t yet but I can when I get home tonight. I guess I could also log it with HP Tuners and see what it’s doing. Never thought of that.

Yes, I've had it many times. Car sounds like an old hooptie struggling to stay running for 2-3 seconds and then evens out. Only when hot. If I try to move the car right away when it does that it will stall.
Mine being an auto it is always smoothed out before I get itnin gear and go. I’d like to take it in to the dealer but I happens so randomly that I know they won’t do anything about it.

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
I haven’t yet but I can when I get home tonight. I guess I could also log it with HP Tuners and see what it’s doing. Never thought of that.

Mine being an auto it is always smoothed out before I get itnin gear and go. I’d like to take it in to the dealer but I happens so randomly that I know they won’t do anything about it.

My car is still in the body shop but I plan to change the plugs when I get it back and see if that makes a difference.

Sponsored

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
This exact thing has happened to me a few times but it hasn't happened for a while. Maybe because it's been colder out and the engine cools down faster? Who knows

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Bottom line is that's not normal behavior. In modern engines like this, 99% of the time if there's a problem with the engine there will be a trouble code stored. Most auto parts places will read the codes for free. Takes literally a minute to do. I bought a cheap OBD-II reader from Harbor Freight years ago. and it's paid for itself many times already. Get the code then look it up online. Go from there. :)

drive_55_not

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Coyote, S197 3v, 2018 Gen3 [RIP], 2020 Challenger 'Cat
Bottom line is that's not normal behavior. In modern engines like this, 99% of the time if there's a problem with the engine there will be a trouble code stored. Most auto parts places will read the codes for free. Takes literally a minute to do. I bought a cheap OBD-II reader from Harbor Freight years ago. and it's paid for itself many times already. Get the code then look it up online. Go from there. :)

No it isn't normal,, The CEL doesn't light up either so I'd presume there are no codes,.

Mine 1st did it the day I bought it, the car car came back from being cleaned, I got in, hit the start button and it acted like the choke was on. I shut it off, restarted and it fired right up. I thought at that point it may have been water in the intake from being washed.

But, As the OP described, it did the same rough start after a few short trips [5-8 miles] shut it off, run into the store/bank. less than 10 minutes later, and a rough restart. It also did it a couple time after refueling.

I was thinking at that time the high pressure fuel side was staying too high causing too much fuel to be shot into the cylinder.
k
I figured with 2000 miles on the clock I'd take it in and have them look at that and I was getting annoying Servive Advanc Trac warnings also.

They flashed the PCM and BCM modules and I don't know if that did anything for the rough start as I picked the car up on a Friday [3wks ago] and installed a PBD tune the following Monday. However I haven't had any rough starts since [1000 miles] and only one Advance trac warning .. that lit up as I got sideways coming out of a gas station.

My car was built 02/18 ...

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
My '18 doesn't like starting warm. I have 0 other starting issues though so it sounds like you've got more going on. I know on a warm start she gurgles a bit and once flat-out stalled on me without doing anything. No issues now that it's gotten cold though so I think it has something to do with the fuel system not feeding enough fuel on a warm start-up.

On a normal start you get an RPM jump until it warms up a bit and goes down to a basic idle RPM. On warm starts it never goes past that basic idle RPM. If I give it a touch of gas on a warm start it seems to go past that issue. If it's not universal amongst '18 owners (ECU/stock tune issue?) then are there possibly a batch of faulty thermostats in some of the cars? Not sure when my build date was, never looked.

OP
OP

Noggles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
How do I find the build date on my car? Best I can find is a 03 06 18 on the bottom of my window sticker that I assume is the build date.

Mine hasn't had really any other issues that I can speak of or that I can remember. The long crank on cold start doesn't really bother me and sometimes it cranks longer than others. I do know that when it cranks longer I typically get a louder raspier exhaust note once it catches even with the stock non-active exhaust. I typically like that but know its not exactly right lol

Sponsored

drive_55_not

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Coyote, S197 3v, 2018 Gen3 [RIP], 2020 Challenger 'Cat
How do I find the build date on my car? Best I can find is a 03 06 18 on the bottom of my window sticker that I assume is the build date.

Mine hasn't had really any other issues that I can speak of or that I can remember. The long crank on cold start doesn't really bother me and sometimes it cranks longer than others. I do know that when it cranks longer I typically get a louder raspier exhaust note once it catches even with the stock non-active exhaust. I typically like that but know its not exactly right lol

There's a date code in the door jam sticker , Mine reads 1201802213780, So my car should have rolled off the line 2-21-2018,

That date on the bottom of the window sticker is the date the build order for your car was generated, they are usually completed within a couple weeks after the job order is queued.

chunter415

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1, 2019 F150
I too have had the issue from time to time, its been difficult to reproduce as its only happened a handful of times, but its only when the car is warmed up and been run for awhile. I have about 3400 miles and when I take it into the dealer I have it on my list of a few other bugs. Though I really don't know if they will be able to do much unless they already know exactly what it is and how to fix it, since its so hard to reproduce.

OP
OP

Noggles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I had it happen again last night after eating dinner. We were in there for a good hour so I am guessing the car needs to sit for longer than 20-30 minutes but not for more than a couple hours I would guess. This will be a hard one to have the dealer reproduce. But I am wondering if anyone that had this issue stock has tuned their car and if the problem went away or not.

evan546

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
This happened on my 2016 and 2018 GT *The night I brought it home from a 200 Mile trip* I let the dealership know they are aware of the issue. They replaced something called a purge valve or something I have to look for the exact service order. It for sure is a large scale problem that is embarrassing I’ve had my car stall on me a couple of time when pulling away.

evan546

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
I had it happen again last night after eating dinner. We were in there for a good hour so I am guessing the car needs to sit for longer than 20-30 minutes but not for more than a couple hours I would guess. This will be a hard one to have the dealer reproduce. But I am wondering if anyone that had this issue stock has tuned their car and if the problem went away or not.
Give the car a nice beat then turn it off in the service tunnel and usually it will struggle to turn back on
Sponsored