Sponsored

Anyone else have a terrible squeak/squeal?

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I have had my car for a week now, and it has about 250 miles on it (it's not a daily driver). It is a PP GT. While putting some highway miles on the car tonight, I noticed a sound coming from the back of the car, so I turned off the music, and I could hear a squeaking or squealing sound coming from what appears to be somewhere near the rear passenger side of the car. At first I thought it might be the back seats rubbing together, especially since the temperature went down (it was about 45 at the time), but I put the rear passenger seat down and it still made the noise. It seemed to get a little louder over the next 30-40 miles, and it has stayed at that volume. It is really pretty loud. Obnoxiously so, I would say...

Any ideas on what it could be? I'm not exactly sure where it's coming from since it was just me in the car, and I could only check so much while driving. It sounds like it may be coming from either the wheel well, the back seat area, the trunk, or the rear glass/roof area. It's a pretty high pitched squeal or squeak. Almost like a high pitched squirt gun. Ugh. This is SO frustrating and annoying! I've been waiting for this car since November, and now this... It's really put a damper on my excitement for the new car because I'm so sensitive to car squeaks--they drive me nuts (especially when the car only has 250 miles on it...)!

Thanks for any help or advice!
Sponsored

Slade

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic GT, 03 F150
Hopefully nothing more serious than a stone or gravel stuck between the wheel and the brake disc. Happened on my 05 Mustang. Makes a helluva racket. Sometimes backing up will dislodge it.

Looked out the window one day and my wife looked like she was in the Baja driving around the back in her Fusion (live in the sticks). She finally parked and got out grinning. "Finally got that damn stone out.."

OP
OP

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Hopefully nothing more serious than a stone or gravel stuck between the wheel and the brake disc. Happened on my 05 Mustang. Makes a helluva racket. Sometimes backing up will dislodge it.

Looked out the window one day and my wife looked like she was in the Baja driving around the back in her Fusion (live in the sticks). She finally parked and got out grinning. "Finally got that damn stone out.."
I never thought of that--I'll have to go check. Thanks!

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, I have an overpowering squeak coming from the same area, but only when playing music. I found out that it's a loose subwoofer case issue. Stupid as shit. I can squeeze the frame and it goes away, so I've got an appointment on the 31st to fix that and a million other QC issues.

When driving it sounds like it's coming from the rear passenger seatbelt mount area.

OP
OP

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Yep, I have an overpowering squeak coming from the same area, but only when playing music. I found out that it's a loose subwoofer case issue. Stupid as shit. I can squeeze the frame and it goes away, so I've got an appointment on the 31st to fix that and a million other QC issues.

When driving it sounds like it's coming from the rear passenger seatbelt mount area.
I heard someone say they had a squeak coming from the rear seatbelt area, so before I went for a drive today, I buckled it in, just it case that's what I was hearing. It didn't make the terrible squeak during the drive, so either that was it, or it was some other random thing that went away (such as the rock suggested above). The next time I go for a drive, I'll unbuckle the seatbelt again and see if the squeal comes back.

Sponsored

15GTStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Checking in with the same issue. Same side as the above owners. Sounds like something is rubbing or "scratching" back there. Don't feel like dropping the car off again since I had issues right off the train with mine from the factory.

Kolkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT + PP black/black/Redline
I have this as well (also GT/PP) I noticed a couple of days ago. It is actually dependent on what tarmac-surface I am driving. When driving to work I encounter 2 types and it is only on the coarser of the 2 where I have the sound coming in, it stops as soon as I switch type. It seems something is resonating at the right rear side of the car in the cabin. The sound is probably emphasized by the stiffer tyres/large rims/stiffer suspension.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I heard someone say they had a squeak coming from the rear seatbelt area, so before I went for a drive today, I buckled it in, just it case that's what I was hearing. It didn't make the terrible squeak during the drive, so either that was it, or it was some other random thing that went away (such as the rock suggested above). The next time I go for a drive, I'll unbuckle the seatbelt again and see if the squeal comes back.
Checking in with the same issue. Same side as the above owners. Sounds like something is rubbing or "scratching" back there. Don't feel like dropping the car off again since I had issues right off the train with mine from the factory.
I have this as well (also GT/PP) I noticed a couple of days ago. It is actually dependent on what tarmac-surface I am driving. When driving to work I encounter 2 types and it is only on the coarser of the 2 where I have the sound coming in, it stops as soon as I switch type. It seems something is resonating at the right rear side of the car in the cabin. The sound is probably emphasized by the stiffer tyres/large rims/stiffer suspension.
Oh my god I forgot to update this thread. I got rid of my problem and I hope this works for you guys too!

Open up your trunk and tuck your head inside. Look over on the passenger side where the sub is tucked in (if you have one). See where that black wire is hanging from in this photo?

There's a gap there. Put your hand behind the thin bedliner/insulation and try pulling it away from whatever it's tucked against. Voila. That took care of my problem on the spot. Make sure you're pulling more from the inside and not just at the edge of the liner.

If you're not sure that this is the problem, try pushing in at different points in this area to see if it creates a squeak in the first place. Mine did.

And this whole time I thought it was my subwoofer.

Kolkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT + PP black/black/Redline
I'll try it and post back on it. So far I've resolved it by turning up the music a notch to enjoy my stereo system ;) .

OP
OP

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I'm having the issue again, so I'll have to test that out! I REALLY don't want to have to drop it off at the dealer, so I'm glad I remembered this thread.

OP
OP

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
OppoLock, I tried your suggestion yesterday, and it didn't make the noise when I took the car out afterward! I've had brief reprieves from the noise before, but hopefully this time it's for good. I'm not sure that I really did anything, but I messed around with some insulation, and I moved a piece of loose electrical tape while I was back there. I also found a piece of electrical tape in my driveway later, which I can only assume fell off the car at some point in time, too.
Sponsored